“Used to be regular customer, but not now”
Review of El Maguey Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Maguey Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I must say that our experiences here are almost identical to the one "No Stars" had with the exception that we had this experience at least three times. We no longer eat here because the service went from bad to terrible. We had trouble getting waited on and then a long wait for our food to be served. When it was served to us the food was cold. On the last visit we made here, part of our order was never brought to us. We never could get a waiter to our table to ask about the missing part of our order. We just never went back again. It is a shame because we did like the food here at one time.

There are newer reviews for El Maguey Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 14 January 2012

The food here is really excellent - but the service is always terrible. To the point of people threatening to leave. They are understaffed, folks find your waiter is your cashier is your kitchen and bar staff. Many many times I go ahead and eat here because the food is truly good! And every single time I am irritated at the service. Do not eat here if you are in a hurry. Do not eat here with guests whom you wish to impress. Eat here if you have nothing else to do, can overlook the service, bring a book or something else to do, and chill. I guess the operative word is "chill out" because you cannot expect the servers to keep up. Order anything on the menu for an authentic, good meal. $ - very moderately priced.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

I do not recommend going to this restaurant. I and 4 friends went for lunch and experienced almost nonexistent service. When we arrived it was seat yourself which is ok. But then it took 5 minutes for the waiter to come to the table to bring menus and take our drink order. Ice teas were ordered all around. It then took another 5 minutes for him to bring the drinks back to the table. He then disappeared again and did not return for another 10 minutes. When he took our order he disappeared for about 40 minutes. No refills on the tea, no chips and salsa, nothing. I even tried to flag down any of the waite staff, they all ignored us and then would disappeared into the kitchen area. We did see the waiter appear a couple of times behind the counter near the entrance. When our meal was finally brought to the table a big show of handling hot plates was made. The waiter even made sure he told us the plates were extremely hot and to be careful. I tasted the rice and beans and they were on the cold side of lukewarm and were inedible. I tried the entree and it was only slightly warmer. I then touched the plate and the "Extremely Hot" plate was barely warm to the touch. To get a refill on the iced tea you have to get up and find a pitcher of tea yourself. When we were checking out I voiced my displeasure with the inedibility, cold temperature of the meal, and the very poor service they provided. The woman behind the counter, who I assume was the manager, excused their poor service with the explanation that there had been a death. To add insult to injury, since there were five of us at the table they included a mandatory gratuity on the bill. What I did not say is that at the same time we experienced non-service there was one table of men who were speaking in Spanish. They received the service that the waite staff refused to deliver to the rest of the customers. I can only judge a restaurant by the food and service they provide. This place fell flat on all counts.

1  Thank Jack_Tarr70
Reviewed 28 November 2009

Food was good, margarita was good and strong! Overall this was an okay place to grab a bite in town.

Reviewed 8 November 2008

Tried this restaurant for dinner. It's located in an old dancehall!
Very quick service...the nachos and salsa were out immediately. Food was OK, not the best Mexican but the price was right...$23 including tax and tip