Settlers Crossing Bed and Breakfast
Best Western Plus Fredericksburg(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$124
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fredericksburg(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
US$169
HIExpress.com
Inn on Barons Creek(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$218
US$180
Peach Tree Inn & Suites(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
US$78
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fredericksburg(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$124
Travelocity
US$263
Hoffman Haus(Fredericksburg)
US$222
Sunset Inn & Suites(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$540
All reviewspioneer cabinfront porchoccasional deerhill countrycountry livingmodern bathroomfarm houseunique placebed breakfastsmorning coffeestep back in timepeaceful retreatnext morningporch swingevery afternoonhome away from homeonce a year
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Settlers Crossing is a gem that should be much higher in these ratings. It features seven cozy, private, historic homes set on 35 peaceful acres, and prices start at just $145 a night. We stayed over a Sunday night, and many of the houses weren't occupied on Monday, so I had a look at four of them, and they were all lovely!

Travel and Leisure magazine has called Settlers Crossing "one of America's top 10 bed & breakfasts."

Family Fun (a magazine produced by the Disney Co.) called it "one of America's 10 great country escapes."

Several other magazines, including Country Home, Country Living, and Country Inns have raved about it too.

Each house looks like you've stepped into a magazine spread. They are all professionally decorated (with many antiques) by the prominent interior decorator Marcia Bland Brown.

Settlers Crossing is just over 5 miles from Fredericksburg, an easy drive to shopping and restaurants in town. We enjoyed the quiet and the spacious grounds, which include a nice walking trail, and are home to a small herd of sheep, a donkey, and a few wild deer passing through. Each afternoon, we relaxed in the rockers on our front porch--which also had a porch swing--read, and enjoyed the atmosphere.

Settlers Crossing is also just a couple of miles away from Luckenbach, where we took in some live music and a few beers.

The basket of pastries we received for breakfast (in addition to a fridge stocked with milk and a variety of juices, plus a pantry with cold cereal, oatmeal, and microwave popcorn) were nothing special, but just about everything else here is just right.

FYI, like many B&Bs in the area, many of the houses here have tubs, but no shower (well, there's this handheld shower thing, but you really can't use that standing up when there's no shower curtain), which might not be ideal for the guys. I didn't mind it. But, FYI, I think the Indiana house at Settlers Crossing has a shower (but no bathtub).

I looked at a lot of reviews before choosing Settlers Crossing, and all of the places at the top of the rankings were just too floofy, flowery, and cutesy for my taste. Settlers Crossing features authentic old homes beautifully decorated. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2008

My 4 girlfriends and I wanted to have a girl's weekend to tour the wineries and see some of the Texas hill country so one of my friends booked the place for us. We stayed in the Von Heinrich house and it was the best! The new owners were very nice, they kept to themselves and to us, the privacy was great! It wasn't at all what you'd expect from a typical B&B but it was fantastic. The 35 acre setting is quiet and peaceful and you can relax and enjoy nature out there without worrying about a neighbor in the next room. The next door neighbor is a good walk away from each cabin and the ambiance is unmatched. Coming from Houston, we were all very pleased to have some peace and quiet. The location is a short 5 minute drive to Fredericksburg (if that) and the same to at least 5 wineries. The place has some sheep and a donkey that live there and they are quite friendly, always asking for some attention. Additionally, wild deer visit frequently and it's so refreshing to see the momma and babies come graze in the yard. Each cabin (that we saw) has an individually fenced yard which would make it perfect for people who want to bring their pooch along. Price was great - very affordable considering what we are used to paying in the big city. You can't come close to renting your own house for a weekend as far as price goes, so I am shocked that some people here complain about price. You rent a place in Galveston (prior to IKE) for the weekend and expect to pay upwards of $500 easily, plus security deposit. Second, the breakfast is perfect. There's a coffee pot with basic coffee options, oatmeal, boxed cereal, variety of juice, milk and fresh patries delivered daily. You can expect in any place to clean up after yourself if you want to keep costs low. Besides, even if you are a slob in your own house, that clutter is part of the reason you need a vacation and you would keep your friend's house tidy if you borrowed it, wouldn't you? Bathrooms were basic, but cute and quaint and it's part of the ambiance, in my opinion. The door locks didn't work in our house either for the bathroom, but we aren't staying among strangers and the doors do shut properly so I dont know why one would need a lock but....that's your business. Its a quaint cute place that warrants a nice romantic getaway, a family vacation, perfect for a girl's getaway and other intimate gatherings, so it's not really fit for a corporate stay because of the intimate setting inside the house, but gosh - it's really the best of the best. Settler's Crossing so far exceeded my expectations that I don't think I'll be able to stay in an ordinary B&B ever again. Try it, you'll love it. Besides, the Hill Country is where it's at! It's the next big spot for real estate and it is easy to see why everyone loves this part of Texas. STAY HERE NEXT TIME!!!!!! :)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2008

We stayed 3 nights, 2 nights in the Kusenberger Barn and 1 night in the Von Heinrich. I liked the rusticness of the properties. We have stayed in many B&B's so I feel like a professional reviewer. I felt the homes were clean, beds comfortable, plenty of towels provided. As far as the breakfast - not exactly what the website stated. No fresh juice, just nasty canned juice. The cereal was those small little boxes that were mostly sugar coated cereals that only a child would like. The pastries were okay. I did expect more. Also, the Kusenberger Barn has very scary stairs. The property is pretty, however it looks like many trees have some kind of disease and won't last long. It is obvious that the owner's are trying to sell and only have guests to help pay for the place.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 26 March 2008

We had a great time at Settler's Crossing. When we drove in, there were deer everywhere. We thought they were domesticated, but turns out they were wild just roaming through the grounds.

We stayed at the Pioneer Homestead and Baag Farmhouse. If I were to go back I might check out some of their other houses. I thought the PIoneer Homestead was OK. They really need to update the decor, replace furnishing, and fix up some of this building. It was pretty worn down, but rustic like we expected. My kids really enjoyed the sheep and donkeys. We bought some feed from fredericksburg and couldn't keep the sheep from our house! It was great. The fireplace was nice in the bedroom and made the experience very nice when we were sleeping with the quiet darkness outside.

I really liked the Baag farmhouse. The rooms were quaint and a little more updated.

We used their grill one night to make dinner. It was nice that they provide these in the "barn" near the residences.

This place is VERY kid friendly.

I dont think we'll stay anywhere else if we go to Fredericksburg.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 March 2008

My husband and I also stayed in the Bohl cabin and loved everything about our weekend there. We loved the privacy--we never saw or spoke to another person the whole time we were on the property--and that was just what we were looking for in our getaway. The cabin was just as the previous guest described--it was historic and rustic, decorated with antiques, yet modern enough to be very comfortable. We loved the jacuzzi tub and the delicious breakfast pastries. As another guest mentioned, the sofa in the living area is very small and uncomfortable, and the TV is super-small. But if you are like us, and only interested in a private, romantic getaway, those things probably won't matter much. You will want to spend your days and nights in the upstairs bedrooms which are comfortable and cozy and look out into the treetops. You will pay almost this much ($200/nt) for just a little room at most places--here you get a home, a yard, a trip back in time, and privacy!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple