“Best place I've ever stayed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fredericksburg Bed and Brew
Ranked #50 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The bed and brew was a great idea. I was a little skeptical after reading some of the previous reviews, but decided to give it a try. I was beyond pleased. The workers were extremely helpful. We found a parking spot right in front and were able to walk to most of the places we wanted to visit. The rooms were very clean and the view was amazing (our room faced main street). It was a little noisy during the day but not too bad and by the time we were ready to go to bed it was quiet. There was a tv...not that we spent much time in the room. The beer they gave us was really good. I don't really have any complaints. I would definitely recommend the bed and brew for anyone looking to have a good time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2009

My husband and I had been wanting to try out this place for quite some time so we booked it for Valentine's Day. It's right above the brewery downtown and we've eaten and enjoyed our time there on several occassions. We knew it may be loud, but we figured we'd be hanging outside of the hotel until the brewery closing time anyway. We have also been too (although not stayed at prior to this trip) their sister hotel, The Hangar Hotel, which is fantastic. So, we had high expectations. Unfortunately, after one night, we checked out and switched to the Hangar Hotel. Thankfully that was not an issue with anyone in the slightest. We were probably not the first people to have done this. The Hangar Hotel was by far superior and nearly the same price. I would never stay at the Bed and Brew again nor would I recommend it to my worst enemy.

Things to know:

*There is a reason that there are no pictures on their websites. The rooms are old and run down. It's somewhat like staying in a hostel or pension except you have your own bathrooms. All of the rooms are themed. We stayed in the Forest Furniture room. I'm still not sure what that exactly means. Fredericksburg is known for antiques, yet the room was more like garage sale furniture slapped together. It was hideous and everything was very dusty. The light in the bathroom had about an inch of dust on it.

*It is super loud! I really can't overstate this. While the brewery claims to close down at 10 pm. It was loud until about 11:30 pm that night. There's nothing to do between 10 and 1130 pm but listen to the loud staff and left over clientele. Fredericksburg really doesn't have any nightlife after 10 pm. We could actually hear the phone ring downstairs from our room and what people were saying when they answered it. It seemed to be others in the hotel also complaining. They need a major renovation to add some insulation.

*Amenities are scare for $129/night. If this were a $60/night hotel room, I would understand. You'd be better off at the Super 8 down the street. No telephones or phone book, table lamps didn't work, no remote for the TV, no hair dryer, bed and bedding were laughable, shower went only up to my shoulders, no cork screws available (this is wine country and the restaurant wouldn't open our bottle either), no parking lot, etc.

*Rooms are overpriced. At $129 you'd be better off anywhere else.

*No management available. You check in at the restaurant at the place where you put in for a table. They make you pay for all nights in advance. If you have a problem, there is a red phone at the end of the hallway (1 for the entire place) and it only calls directly to the Hangar Hotel across town. This also seems like a huge safety issue.

*Paying for a $4.50 beer is better than the gimmick of getting one for free.

*This place would have the reverse affect if you are trying to take someone on a romantic weekend....don't do it!

Stay clear! Instead, stay at the Hangar Hotel, or our other favorite, Rose Hill in Stonewall.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MBroyhill
Reviewed 9 July 2007

We stayed at the bed and brew recently and found it a decent place to spend an evening for a reasonable price.

The room and bathroom was very clean. Due to the type of buildings in the area, there isn't a lot of insulation in the rooms and noise travels up from the restaurant below more than most people are probably used to. The restaurant does close at 10 and the streets are pretty much deserted by then so getting to sleep was no problem.

We did get all of our drinks at the restaurant below comped which was a very nice gesture by the management. Free beer is a good selling point for me! The food was great too, plenty of options on the menu and a nice atmosphere.

If I planned to stay overnight in Fredericksburg again, I would stay here again. It's convenient, clean and at 99 dollars a night, not a bad price. I'm not a big fan of antique type of towns but it was a new place to escape to for one night.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank MMAGuy
Reviewed 8 November 2006

The rooms, themed like an old brothel, hunting lodge, etc, lacked certain amenities like decent lighting, propper drainage in shower, and phones. Plus the room we stayed in had such terrible water damage to the outer wall and ceiling that it should never have been available to the public. Being in Fredericksburg for a wedding, we needed to use an ironing board and hairdryer, neither of which the hotel could offer us when asked.
Beyond that we had great difficulty getting refunded for a night - their policy is to prepay for your stay, but we left after one night.
Saying all this, the place has potential but probably needs new management and alot of physical work.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank evalu8er
A TripAdvisor Member
Crowley, TX
Reviewed 28 November 2005

We stayed two nights recently at the Bed & Brew in Fredericksburg. It's a fun concept -- combining an inn with a microbrewery. But.....beware, the noise from the brewery/restaurant below does NOT end at "closing time", as we'd been assured. Perhaps because the downstairs area appeared to stay open past the stated closing hour. Or perhaps because of the after-hour clean-up crew. Either way, it was noisy. As for the room? Not bad, but nothing special. In our room there were only two flimsy (likely from a dry cleaner) hangers and no dressers (clothing had to remain in the suitcase as there was nowhere else to store it). And the bathroom was something else......the shower head was mounted really low on the wall and, since we're both rather tall, required the skill of a contortionist in order to bathe. Conversely, the bathroom sink was mounted REALLY high up -- I can only assume that plumbers of two different heights were involved. At least the furnishings in our room were fairly tasteful -- we saw photos of some of the other rooms, and they seemed the stuff of nightmares..... One apparently has huge, garish red horses painted on the wall.....can't imagine waking up each morning to that! The best I can say about this inn is that it's conveniently-located, assuming you can find a close parking spot (which wasn't easy -- would've been nice if they'd had private parking for hotel guests). You can easily walk the "strip" and not have to drive anywhere if you don't want.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed 3 February 2005

My wife and I have stayed here before with another couple. When we go we either stay on the main street or far out in the country. This place is pretty good. Our room was comfortable, but the room our friends stayed in was decorated with stuffed trophy animals(deer, fox, etc...). Needless to say she didn't sleep the whole night b/c she felt the animals were watching her. The rooms are good size, have comfortable beds, no noise, also no TV. When the bar is going you can hear the music from below but they close early (around 10 pm) if I remember right. People were very friendly and nice to deal with.

Food at the bar is good, beer is better. Overall I give it a 4 out of 5.
Location is great.
Parking is abundant.
Rooms are good.
Food is good.
Nightlife....well it is Fredericksburg so after 10p.m. it is pretty dead.

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 September 2004

My wife and I stayed in the Bed and Brew last year on a visit to Fredericksburg. We love going to the hill country and were excited about staying in the B&B right on Main Street. The room was OK, not overly lavish, but not that bad. The lighting was very dim even in the bathroom and our window looked out over the roof and into the airconditioner unit. That night my wife and I had a nice dinner nearby and walked around town until about 9:00. We went back to our room to take a shower and we didn't have any hot water. Not only did we not have hot water, but when I turned on the hot vavle, you could hear a sucking sound. I held a cup of water to the faucet and opend the hot vavle and the water was sucked out of the cup. We went to bed, only to awake to the sound of men working with sheet metal right outside our window. 7:30am on a Saturday and they had men working on the roof and the cover over the airconditioner right outside our room. Not ten feet from the window with a reciprocating saw on metal panels and the men shouting to each other over the noise. That was enough noise to wake the dead. And we still didn't have hot water. No phones in the room meant no phone numbers to contact anyone in the event of a problem. The men worked on the roof until about 9:00am and at about 10:00am we had hotwater again. When we checked out there were no apologies or even an explanation. I don't know if turning off the hot water is a regular practice, but I don't plan on finding out.
A very miserable conclusion to what promised to be a very nice night.

8  Thank TexasGeodude