“Nice Weekend in the Treehouse”
Review of Inn on the Creek

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn on the Creek
Ranked #61 of 80 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Hill Country, TX
“Nice Weekend in the Treehouse”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The Inn on the Creek is a very nice B&B. Our room, The Treehouse, was large and beautiful with a huge bed. The bathroom is absolutely nothing special, though. There are other rooms at the Inn on the Creek that have big tubs and showers, but be aware that The Treehouse is not one of them. It was fine, though. There is a very clean, well-maintained hot tub on the property. There is also a nice seating area. It is very close to one of the rooms which is also something to be aware of because if anyone is sitting and talking at the table, I imagine the people in that room will hear it.

Breakfast was good. I enjoyed the communal dining. The Inn was full while we were there so there were other couples sitting at the table with us. It was nice conversation and a nice, filling breakfast. The ladies there actually cook breakfast and serve it. It's not just a basket of bagels and fruit. The Treehouse room is right up the stairs from the kitchen so we could hear some cooking going on, but it wasn't loud at all and the ladies spoke very quietly. It didn't bother us at all. After our first morning, they asked if we needed towels. I said we didn't because we had plenty of towels, but I guess the question actually meant "do you want housekeeping?" because our room was untouched- bed not made, trash not emptied. It wasn't a big deal, but I felt a little manipulated.

The location was great! We had a dinner reservation at the Cabernet Grill (excellent!) and that was the only time we drove all weekend. I live close to Fredericksburg and I go there quite often, so it was fun to just be a tourist and look through the shops and try new places to eat.

Overall, it was a nice stay. I'm not sure I would spend the money that often because I'm not sure the value is there, but it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you check location of the rooms before choosing.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boomboom76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Denton, TX
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Just spent another wonderful week at the Inn on the Creek. It's location and old world charm is what makes this place so special. From the staff at Absolute Charm to the huge beds to being mere steps from Main Street shops, there's no way to top this place. Ready to book our next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EJonesDenton
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I came to Fredricksburg as one last trip before our baby is born and we decided to stay at the Inn on the Creek. It was a very charming stay. The location is the BEST. You are steps from Main street. We have never stayed at a B&B before, this was a very good first experience. We stayed in the Treehouse room, which I recommend because it is the most secluded room at the Inn. The bed was comfy and the breakfast was great. It was overall a great experience and I would stay here again for sure. One of my best parts was being able to get a massage on-site in one of the rooms that's reserved for massages and treatments. It was great because we did not have to leave the premises and the massage therapists were amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Harlingen, TX
Reviewed 18 December 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights in the Bella Suite at Inn-on-the-Creek. We only found two things good about this Inn--the bed was comfortable and the location of the Inn was good. Other than those two things, it was the most disappointing B&B we've ever been in (and we've stayed in many in Texas and New Mexico). First of all, the temperature controls were in the hallway and controlled more than one room, so if someone was cold natured, they put the temperature up and vice versa. It made for a very unpleasant sleeping experience. As I mentioned before, the bed was comfortable (only after you managed to get in it). The bed was so high that you had to CLIMB into it--one woman at breakfast said her husband had to push her up into the bed. Also, the pillows leave a lot to be desired--they were lumpy and uncomfortable. We chose the Bella Suite because it had a shower, which was ok--just very dark--no light over the shower at all. The toilet in the bathroom is so low to the floor that you felt as if you are sitting on the floor--definitely needs to be upgraded. Most people who stay in B&B's are seniors or retired people and they cannot use a low toilet. Also, the baseboards in the bathroom were filthy and it was very noticeable. Another huge downside to this room was no closet or dresser--nowhere to put clothes at all, so we lived out of our suitcases. The "gourmet" breakfast that was advertised is a farce--I believe the owners need to look up the definition of "gourmet." It was bottled orange juice (no other choices for those who have acid reflux); the fruit was prepackaged and cut up from HEB; potatoes were tasteless and undercooked; eggs were tasteless; the eggs benedict (and I use that term loosely) was made with sausage with a poorly made sauce to pour over it (the egg was overcooked); croissants had to be at least three days old; no butter or jelly was offered; no milk was offered for coffee other than powdered. Those who say the breakfasts were wonderful apparently haven't been to a really good B&B--these breakfasts were definitely not gourmet--not even comparable to Denny's. The kitchen staff was very unfriendly--never spoke to any of us. I had to ask for a tea bag the first day and the second day, I found them myself because the woman was so unfriendly. Cookies in the kitchen were bought from HEB--not homemade as most B&B's do. The kitchen staff did not arrive to fix breakfast until about 7:30--how can anyone fix a gourmet breakfast for 12 people in an hour? Security at the Inn is very poor--there were back doors that were left unlocked all night. We feel all doors should have been locked all the time. Another thing that bothered us is that there was no presence of the owners at all--this is very unusual in a B&B. We always have had the owners greet us and be visible throughout our stays in other B&B's. Apparently, all these owners want is your money and, once they get that, you are on your own. Check-in is ridiculous--it is at the opposite end of town from the Inn. Also, when you leave, you have to return the key to the other end of town--why not just leave it in the room and not inconvenience the guests? Parking lot should be paved--the loose gravel and dirt was carried into the Inn as well as our car. There is no sidewalk in front of the Inn--have to cross the street to get on a sidewalk. Also, it is not directly across from the Nimitz (30 steps from Main Street) as advertised. It is about a block off of Main Street and across from and down the street from the Nimitz. All in all, this B&B is the worst we have ever experienced and we would never return or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't go to this B&B--it is a huge waste of money.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank owlsrus
Denton, TX
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We've stayed at the Inn numerous times. We continue to come back because of the atmosphere, the location, and the staff's commitment to service. We've never been disappointed. The staff at the office is friendly and helpful. Katalina (I hoped I spelled that correctly) spent quite a bit of time with us today making sure our stay was satisfactory. The improvements to parking and room upgrades are a plus. As long as we're able, we'll come back to the Inn on the Creek. We can't really think of any other place we'd rather stay.

Room Tip: The Treehouse offers the best view. I mentioned pool in my rating; I was referring to the hot tub.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Inn April 27-29 as a weekend getaway! We had a fabulous time. The Tuscan room was a cute romantic room, while some people felt it was too small, it was perfect for the two of us! We loved the hot tub in the garden that sat under a beautiful old oak tree! We also loved our oversized antique claw foot bath tub! If you enjoy taking a shower vs a bath, pick a diff room! The location was perfect as we could walk to shopping, restaurants, and things to see! Right next to the pacific war museum. Saving the best for last, Joyce cooks a fabulous breakfast each morning! Both mornings were different and just as delicious :) Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank FinnFam
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 27 March 2012

... and you don't care about much else this place is awesome. It's at the very end of Main Street with a private parking lot for guests only which is very convenient and the accommodations in the room I stayed in, Seventh Heaven Suite, were very nice. Comfy bed, nice jacuzzi tub, spacious but that's about where all the nice things I can say ends.

First off let me begin by saying the office staff was rude after I booked. I called when I was a few miles outside of Fredericksburg around 1pm just to get directions to their office and the lady who answered the phone didn't seem to be rushed for anything but she was very short with me and even said "Sir, you'll just need to wait till 3 before we can do anything". I should've just not stayed at that moment but I did anyways because I had paid and I realize sometimes people just have bad days.

I finally get checked in and get my room and the first thing that stuck out was no shower in room. Not a big deal. However, the window in the bathroom didn't fully seal which was letting flies in. It was also terribly noisy from the housekeeping and hearing every door in the back half of the B&B closing. Around 6:30am I was awoken to the banging of pots and pans and after a late night the last thing I wanted was a 6:30am wake up. No matter, I get up to get coffee and just enjoy a beautiful morning but the older woman making breakfast told me to get my coffee and leave till 8:30 when breakfast would be served... second time the staff was rude. She watches me get a coffee cup, staring at me with arms crossed, watches me get coffee, then tells me the rack I got my cup off of was for new mugs that people could buy and that since I'd taken one I would have to pay. I laughed and asked how much, $25 and she assured me she was quite serious and I told her they should've had a sign letting people know and if they wanted $25 for a cup they better be serving kopi luwak in it. Again, I don't let people get to me easily but it's starting to get ridiculous when you pay someone to serve you and all the seem to be able to do is be rude. For the record, I didn't get charged but if the charge had been there it would have been in dispute.

Now, their website makes a big deal out of how good their breakfast is, and some other reviews are raving about it, but let's just hope this older woman isn't the one responsible for making this breakfast they're supposedly known for because it was absolutely terrible. McDonalds would've been better and I don't even eat fast food. Baked, dry bacon, frozen pancakes, soggy eggs with what seemed like flavorless peppers and some sort of sour fruit mush. Enough orange juice for 1 glass a person, but don't worry, there's plenty of bad tasting tap water on hand.

I would've loved to be able to say good things about this place, but honestly the only thing it has going for it is location and that's why it only got a 2-star rating, otherwise it would've been 1 star. I will never stay here or at any of the other B&B's this property management company runs. I'd rather bring my tent and sleep with the rattlesnakes and scorpions.

Even the other guests I met at breakfast said they wouldn't be staying again, and the reasons were discussed at length in front of the rude old lady.

Room Tip: Simple, it you must stay, Seventh Heaven is probably the best bet but I would recommend against stay...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo