“New ownership” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 81 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Granbury, Texas
“New ownership”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Just wanted to let people out there know that Molly & Bob Sagebiel no longer own Camp David B&B in Fredericksburg. The rooms are still as nice, quiet, and comfy, but the great hot breakfasts are a thing of the past. Breakfast was a couple huge pieces of coffee cake (very good), plus a container of cut-up fruit (strawberries, canteloupe, pineapple, and grapes) obviously purchased at the grocery store, along with a large box of a raisin bran cereal, 2% milk and a carton of OJ. There was coffee and tea available and I appreciated having shelf-stable half-and-half rather than just powdered Coffeemate. However, some variety on the cereals would have been nice - to me it would make more sense to offer a selection of the single-serving cereal boxes.

The only other issue we had was that an ugly big flat screen TV was installed over the fireplace. I realize most people will probably love to have one in the room (although I think it detracts from the charm), but what was worse was that it did not work - we could not pick up any signal, try as we might. There was also no DVD player attached so that wasn't even an option.

Hopefully the TV problem is a minor glitch during the changeover in ownership and will be fixed. Considering that the room price has increased about 50%, though, we were disappointed overall. Fortunately we knew before we arrived that there would not be a full, hot breakfast, so we were not surprised as others who read the reviews here might be. Camp David still does not require a two-night minimum over the weekends, and I hope that stays the same.

Room Tip: We've now stayed in Pecan, Willow, Maple, and Cedar - Maple was the quietest.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank riofriotex
CampDavidBB, Owner at All Seasons Main Street Retreat, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Thanks for your review and feedback riofriote. Feedback is critical to the success of any service/hospitality oriented business - it's our report card that let's us know how we are doing and I always appreciate it.

You are absolutely right, we just purchased Camp David a couple of weeks ago. I also own All Seasons Downtown Retreat and the Cottage at Circle J. The customer experience is my number one priority and I never want anyone to be disappointed in their stay with us. Molly did make a fabulous breakfast and I knew that she had repeat customers that it was important to. To make sure that everyone knew about the change, we emailed and mailed a letter to everyone with existing reservations to let them know of the change in ownership and breakfast. We also changed the website immediately to reflect the new breakfast. As you mentioned, you knew prior to your arrival and I'm committed to making sure no one is surprised.

We are making a significant investment in the property and upgrading the exteriors as well as the interiors. I'm sure you noticed all of the new landscaping going in. We did install new flat screen TV's in all of the rooms for our guests to enjoy and I am truly sorry that yours was not working properly on the night of your stay. It had just been installed and there was a loose wire on the outside box. We should have caught it prior to your checking in. I only wish you had called me so I could fix it.

We did raise our weekend rate from $149 to $159 which is 7%.

I hope when you are back in Fredericksburg, you will give us another chance and stay again!

Thanks,
Joe

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the tranquility experienced at Camp David. We stayed in the Sycamore Cabin and it was just wonderful. Joe was an excellent host/owner who bent over backwards for us. After teaching summer school in Dallas, I needed a break and Camp David was it. The cabin was immaculate! The coffee rocked and the fresh fruit was a delight after driving through the Texas heat. We enjoyed the oversized jetted tub and the overall peacefulness that we had. It rained a little and we sat out on our private porch in comfy rockers and enjoyed the rain. This place is a hidden jewel! We will definitely return. It was also close enough for easy accessible shopping on Main Street, yet far enough away to maintain privacy. The perfect location! Thanks Joe for making my summer!!!

Room Tip: The individual cabins rock!!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review Texas 1962. You were one of our very first guest! We just purchased Camp David a couple of days before you arrived. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and the peace and quiet the courtyard provides. I hope you will be able to come back and stay with us again!
Joe