“Cute!”

Country Inn & Cottages
Ranked #4 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We decided to do a last minute trip Feb 11-13th and were lucky to find a cottage open at Country Inn. We were not able to get a standalone cottage (you probably have to book those much further in advance) but I had read the website and reviews saying the other cottages were attached so I was not surprised when I got there (like other guests seem to have been). My husband and I did not have any problem with management, they were very sweet any time we had to deal with them. I absolutely loved all of the Axis deer and Elk running around the area. That was really fun! I also love that you can bring your dogs. Our little Westie had a great time smelling around. We stayed in Cabin #14 and it was adorable. My only complaint is that we found womens lingerie stuck in the crease of the couch (kind of gross). We moved it and left a note for the maids to tell them that we found this and it was not ours, however when we came back that evening the room was clean and the note and lingerie was still there. This raises doubts about the quality of cleaning, but this is my only complaint. Other than that, we absolutely loved our stay and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 January 2011

We have stayed here 3 times over the past 2 years, each time for a weekend stay and we love this place!! We stay at the cottages, which are outside of town (only a few miles) on a Wild Elk ranch. My kids (4,5 and 8) LOVE this place with the elk, deer and cattle they get to see, as well as the exploring they do outside. The cottages are a variety of stand-alone cottages, converted houses and dogtrot cottages, which means they are connected. They are very nicely decorated inside and the beds are SUPER comfy. They have had so many people ask about their mattresses, that you can buy one wholesale from them!

The ranch has a gate with entry code, so even though we are outside of town, we feel very safe. The stay always comes with breakfast vouchers to use at some of the area bakeries/restaurants, one of which is Rather Sweet Bakery, which is owned by the famous bakery chef, Rebecca Rather. They make the most amazing pastries and desserts!!

There are gathering areas all around the ranch with chairs, fire pits and grills. The owners always make sure that the lights and heat (or air) is on in the cottage when you arrive and all the rooms that we've stayed in have satellite tv, a microwave, fridge and coffee pot.

I am surprised by some of the negative comments about the management. The owners have alwtays been super friendly. The cancellation policy is not that unusual in Fredericksburg and many of the B&Bs and cottages have extra rules that you don't get in a commercial hotel (2 night stay minimum, no kids, no dogs, etc), so I guess i am used to that when we stay here.

Overall, this is a great rustic place with beautiful views and nice decor. Perfect for a family!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We loved the one room cabin (17) it was beautifully made and did look like it was made in the 1800's but so did the bed. The bed was broke down in the middle we rolled to the center. I woke up once and my husband was trying to sleep across the foot of the bed lol. If there had been carpet we would of slept on the floor. The Elk, white tail deer and the other wildlife was always where you could see them so that was so wonderful. We woke up one morning to the Bull Elks fighting through the fence. The price of the cabin was a little high for what you get but the only reason we wouldn't return is because of the horrible bed. Oh and the two person Jacuzzi must be for two people who are 4 ft tall but was wonderful to use if your partner doesn't join you :).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
countryn, Owner at Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2011

We were unaware of any problems with the bed in #17 and have received no complaints from any of our guests. We did immediately check the bed for any defects, after reading this review, and did find a wooden slat broken in the middle. This was immediately fixed. Wish we could have known during your stay so we could have given it immediate attention!

Reviewed 22 December 2010

The perfect getaway. I was there in early December. The elks and the deer right outside our door were awesome to watch. The cottage was incredible -- Jacuzzi tub, hot tub right outside the door, wonderful bed ... soft couch ... the perfect touch was the small Christmas tree in the living room! They had everything a visitor could want, plus more. Most romantic place I've ever been! But great for families or a group of friends. Outdoor bbq pit, great gathering place. The only complaint I would have would be the lighting ... dim, and romantic, but not if you're reading or cooking in the kitchen. Fortunately, I wasn't reading or cooking... loved it so much I'm going back in a couple of weeks!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Great place!! just on the outskirt of town and easy trip to town. Great Beds, clean rooms done daily, good swimming pool and coffee is available in the morning along with some snacks. The only down side was the room was close by to the main highway which can be a pain for a sleep in and the shower could use a new shower head. But hey the price is right for a family budget for sure.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2010

In January, 2010, I made reservations here for July 2010. I wanted two 2 bedrooms, but there was only one available, so I was told they would substitute an upscale 1 bedroom for the same price as a 2 bedroom. When we checked in. something didn't seem right (we were to receive breakfast vouchers for everyone in our group, but they only gave us only half as many as we needed). Then three days later, we were sitting around enjoying the lovely morning, when an angry woman showed up. She was complaining very loudly that the pool area was a mess, and the life preserver had been torn up. We offered to help her clean the pool area as we thought it might ease her distress, but she kept ranting on about how we had 9 people crammed into one cottage. We were perplexed with her misunderstanding and told her we had 4 people in a 2 bedroom and 5 people in the upscale 1 bedroom. So she immediately called the motel office and guess what........ When we went back to our 2 bedroom unit, she had left a bill for $200 more (they said my January booking wasn't valid because it had been booked by an employee they had fired). Needless to say, we were quite shocked! Talk about being a little more customer service oriented..... So my advice is to avoid this place, customers enter at their own risk!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank carmine1
Reviewed 7 September 2010

It was very remote and the stars at night were big and bright. The only private time we had was between 10:00 and 10:30 before we’d go to bed.

We were in motel room #16, which we believed was going to be a private, stand alone cabin. We saw the pictures on the web-site and because of the location to town we chose to stay there.

You must ask yourself, in hindsight….How come there are no pictures of the motel wing building, identifying the cottages as not being real cottages…..??? That would have changed our decision to use this business.

We had another option that would have provided a standalone cabin, but it was out off of Old San Antonio Road, 15+ minutes out of town, out by the batt caves and the hamburger joint. It was only $109.00 per night.
We took the more expensive cabins at this place because of the location to town. A huge mistake, in hindsight.

When we arrived at dusk on Friday, I was extremely frustrated and felt totally screwed, so to speak.
It was my fault, for not asking the right question, when I called last week to check on a COTTAGE for the weekend.
What is it they say, “fool me once shame on me”……

When I talked to Jeff (the operator) on Friday night to complain, all I got was how those rooms are considered cottages and how you were written up in some publication, etc….. That is all well and good, but it was not what we thought we were getting…..bottom line….

What it comes down to is this: They need to stop advertising the motel rooms as cottages. I am quite certain they have had complaints in the past. You must call it what it is. A duck is a duck, a sheep is a sheep and a motel room is a motel room. Certainly not cottages.

We had absolutely no privacy sitting out behind the motel as some folks brought their dogs and kids. Doors slamming, etc….. In a cabin, we would have had the privacy we were looking for. Cabins 18-23 would have provided that privacy.

I think they should give people what they expect and that is not an explanation after they pay and arrive at the ranch site looking for their cabin, as we did. Better to tell them up-front they are getting a motel room on a ranch estate.

As a result, unfortunately, I let it bother me most of the weekend. It was like a burr in between my toes. So when-ever we would go outside to sit and talk and some dog would run up and bother us or a group with kids would come out and goof around by the outdoor fire pit or run out to look at the deer, it only made me angrier.

You have to put yourself in my position.
Imagine making arrangement to celebrate time away from a busy life with your wife, leaving all your kids and grandkids behind in Dallas. You’ve talked about how much you were looking forward to this with your wife, during the 6 hour ride down there. When you get there, you are tired from the road. Then you experience frustration because all you believed would be, did not happen. $500+ dollars to stay in a motel outside of Fredericksburg. We ended up not staying out there except to sleep and spent more time wondering around town and Kerrville because our original plan to sit out on the porch to relax, maybe read, maybe play the guitar couldn’t happen because of the lack of privacy. And believe you me, I HATED wondering around town longer than I had originally planned. I just wanted to chill in the solitude of a cabin and a porch. That is all we wanted.

I never complain about things. I am laid back, easy going and rarely raise my voice. My wife and I travel 3 to 4 times a year, all over the world and I have a lot of stories. So I am not some rare traveler who is spoiled and is never happy. BUT, I always expect to get what I pay for. This time I didn’t and it pisses me off……

I really don’t expect them to somehow make this right. But what is not right, is what my wife and I went through this past labor day weekend. It just wasn’t right. The drive home even sucked because of the dis-satisfaction we felt about our weekend.

The only way we would ever come back out there were if we got cabin 18 thru 23.

Overall bad trip. Location was good. Property was good. Motel was a motel. Clean and cozy, but if you are looking for a cabin, as it was advertised, you will be fooled. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple