“Bed and breakfast - well, sort of”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Queen Anne B&B and Spa
Ranked #62 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed at the Queen Anne B&B on my last trip (April 21-24, 2014) to Fredericksburg. I was thinking this would be a typical bed and breakfast with the owner present and active in the property. Nope! This is, I guess, part of a group of B&B's owned by the same person. The dining room is set up like a restaurant, with separate tables. I was disappointed that I didn't have the typical B&B experience where you get to know the people who are staying there, and eat a meal together.
I never saw the owner the whole time I was there. There were (very helpful and nice) "help" who prepared and served the meals. But it just fell flat for me, as far as a real B&B experience.
However, I do have to say that the bed was one of the most comfortable ones I've ever slept in. And I did enjoy the food, although there was not a variety, like I've had in other B&B's. It was good and well-prepared, though. And my room was comfortable and quiet, even though I was at the front of the house. There was one squeaky squeak that I kept hearing every night - never did figure out what it was. But it wasn't enough to keep me awake (very long). Overall, it was okay, but I was just disappointed that it wasn't really a bed and breakfast experience like I was expecting.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cindy G

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I must admit this was our first B&B since staying in one a few years back outside Florence, Italy and this was a complete disappointment. I was thinking, it would be a nice romantic weekend so we opted for a B&B. I travel extensively and comparatively, the Queen Anne is NOT a good value. I wish we had stayed at the HI Express, Barron's or the Hampton for a lot less $ and closer to action (QA is .5mi to Hondo's without a good walking surface).

If you want something old, maybe this will work for you, but we were not looking for a turn of the century building. The place is quaint and the common areas - OK, but that's where it ended. I seriously question those who rate this a 4 or 5. That's the problem with using these reviews-you really never know which ones are aligned with your expectations.

We stayed in the Madeline room and while the décor was nice, it was so small. There is about 3 feet on each side of the bed. The shower door leaked all over the floor, no sink space for my wife's make up, lighting was poor (to see putting on makeup), went to the hot tub but it was empty, 7:30 am all rise - kitchen noise begins. The WORST ISSUE of all is the PARKING. You angle park on Main street with 4 lanes of 35 mph plus traffic. You view is blocked by adjacent cars and the just beyond the crown of a hill. Had to have my wife watch, tell me when it was safe to back out and then jump in and take off.

I do think there have been changes to the property in the last couple years so beware of older pictures. Our bed was comfortable and breakfast was pretty good...if you like what is prepared - no choices though. Egg and sausage casserole was good, but homemade French toast and bacon - just OK.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Traveled with friends and sayed a long weekend there. Breakfast were five star and the accommodations matched. The Aspen and Alyssa rooms are in the rear, so street noise is nonexistent. Could not have asked for a nice pre-Christmas mini-vacation.

Room Tip: The Aspen and Alyssa rooms are in the rear, so street noise is nonexistent. There site has pictures...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We recently stayed two nights mid-week in Kadens cottage. We really liked the privacy of the room but it could be even better. There were a lot of cobwebs and dusty walls and a light over the bathroom sink was out which made the room darker. The doors for the bathroom do not allow for much privacy. The toilet paper was what you would expect in a cheap hotel. The toilet ran for a long time after flushing. While there was a clothes rack, there were no clothes hangers. The bed was not very comfortable. The bed skirt was ripped in several places. It was quite cold when we were there and we had difficulty getting the heater/air conditioner to work. The small portable heater in the bathroom was dust covered and didn't work. The fireplace is a bit cheap looking but did put out some heat. I finally called the owner on her cell and she was very helpful. She was not aware that the bathroom heater was not functioning and said she would buy one and put it in our room. While we were at dinner, she did just that. That was the only contact we had with her. I think she was at the B&B during breakfast but she never came and introduced herself or visited. The breakfasts were wonderful and we enjoyed visiting with the other guests. The floor in the room is concrete and it is easy to track in dirt and make the floor gritty. The weekday rate was great especially with the full breakfast. The outside deck is huge and quite comfortable.

Room Tip: Kaidens Cottage is a lot of room for the money.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights mid week at an excellent price of $99 and there are many positive factors; the location an easy walk into town, the breakfast was excellent and the rooms generally well appointed. We have stayed at a number of US B&B's and were sad that certain features were missing; we did not see the host and were not introduced to the features and facilities; whilst coffee was available through a fine machine there was no milk until about 8am ; tea making proved equally difficult; there was no happy hour for guests in the early evening [ none was promised] which was a pity. however a good location and great value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed in Kaden Cottage which is located at the back of the main Queen Anne B&B. The cottage is quite luxurious,with a king size sleep number bed,luxury bed linens,towels,toiletries, and robes. The décor is highend,yet extremely comfortable. It has an ambient fireplace,and a whirlpool bath for 2. The property has a large hot tub which sits right behind Kaden Cottage. The hot tub was clean and quite nice. There is also a spa just steps from Kaden Cottage,where we had a couples Swedish Message. The Queen Anne itself is quite a lovely older home,very well maintained They serve a gourmet breakfast each morning,which is unique. Many of the B&B's in the area issue vouchers to eat breakfast elsewhere.The entire property is well kept,and the luxury theme continues throughout the B&B, with chandeliers,and a great sense of style in décor.
It is several blocks from the Historic District but certainly within walking distance,though one could drive and find convenient parking.
We were 100% happy with our experience at Queen Ann's. It was affordable at 170.00 per night,the entire property was very clean,fantastic service from the staff, and an attentive owner.
We will definitely consider staying at Queen Anns the next time we are in Fredricksburg.

Room Tip: Kaden Cottage is a separate area,approximately 20 feet from the main house. It is extremely private...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

A beautiful B&B located right on Main Street in the historic district. Delicious breakfast served each day. Walk to shopping and local attractions. Great rates compared to other properties in district. $ 99 Sun thru Thurs and $ 199 Fri and Sat. There are 5 other very nice rooms in the main house; but check on the availability of Kadens Cottage (where my wife and I stayed), a beautiful one bedroom cabin located on the grounds of the Queen Anne, but directly behind the main house; wrought iron king size bed and large Jacuzzi tub. There is also a spa on the property, as well as a large hot tub and deck for socializing.

Room Tip: If you want to be assured of privacy, go for Kadens Cottage (if available). Light housekeeping is o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple