“Quiet, off the main drag, comfy”

Fredericksburg Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
El Paso, Texas
“Quiet, off the main drag, comfy”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We booked a king room with microwave and fridge, but got one without. Our food went bad because their ice machine was not working to capacity. We booked for two nights but when we asked for a third the price doubled for some reason so we didn't stay the third night. The pool is a single lane lap pool only 3 ft deep. All that being said, it was quiet, comfortable and affordable. a few blocks from the main drag was not a far way to go and there are antique malls between so we had a great time exploring. Breakfast was mediocre but the coffee was good. The room coffee was weak and watery. The bed was very comfortable. My husband has a bad shoulder and slept very well. Large bathroom was refreshing. All in all a disappointing stay but a wonderful weekday vacation away from the kids.

Room Tip: Remember when checking in to ask for a fridge and microwave or you won't get it
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I tried to book online "Priceline" but for some add reason it didn't go through . So I came in and talked to Victoria a very friendly and professional lady at the front desk . She took care of everything and went out her way to make me and my family welcome. She was very helpful and cordial , the hotel was clean and cozy, they also offer hot breakfast , a very peaceful hotel . Victoria is very organized I noticed she kept everything under control , I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get a warm human welcoming and feel comfortable . On my next trip to Fredericksburg TX I look forward to staying at this hotel again . I was very impressed by the staff specially Victoria and the cleanliness of this hotel along

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MaurerAnna
corpus christi, tx
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I will continue to stay at this hotel only if I can book an upstairs room opposite the highway side of the hotel. (You have to count cars and tractor trailers instead of sheep to fall asleep on the highway side!) FHC does have an elevator. FHC is competitively priced, housekeeping is clean, has a new tiled entry and breakfast area, serves a decent breakfast with eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, cereal etc...Walls are thin and you can easily hear conversation and TV chatter depending how loud the next room has the volume. I did like the fact that our room did not have the perverbial nasty bedspread or bed cover, just the sheets with ample pillows, and a folded light throw blanket. Don't know if that was by design or if they were at the cleaners. I usually rip off the nasty bedspread and throw it in the corner anyway. I've stayed in this hotel three times before and enjoyed the stay. Front desk service is second to none. Ms. V did a good job. FHC is on the west side on the outskirts of town.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ross_yCorpusChristi
Reviewed 13 March 2013

If you want to be downtown where the action is, this is not your place. It's at the edge if town,but that did not bother me. i knew the area and was ok with driving a couple if miles to the attractions. The staff were very nice and the rooms appeared clean. Breakfast was ok, but limited. No fresh fruit, but lots of bread items- if that's your thing! The hotel, really has a lot of things going against it. Our room had double beds and I'm not sure if they had any with 2 queens. The staff gave us an extra mattress for one kid to sleep in. He loved it! Pretty tight for four people, though. There was only one restaurant within walking distance, but it was not a problem for us. No indoor or heated pool, but I did not really find any others in our price range that did. The biggest drawback was that the hotel was 40 feet from and parallel to the main highway and lots of 18 wheelers go by. The stop sign is right across the street so you could hear them gearing down to stop. we were staying on the highway side, so im not sure how loud it would have been on the other side. All in all, not bad. Because I'm originally from the area, I knew where things were and did not mind the drive. I think the typical Fredericksbug tourist would prefer something within walking distance of main street.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TexTravelChick
Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Spent one night there with very little sleep. The bed was very comforatable and the room was very clean but you could not turn on the bathroom light without a very noisy exhaust fan coming on as well. Evidently the room next to us decided to leave their light on all night and I could hear the very loud noise in my room as well all night. Friendly front staff and typical breakfast offering.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KathrynG
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

Overpriced...I've stayed at better hotels for less money. The breakfast was ok, but they close it right on the dot even if you are still eating. Front desk staff was pretty friendly and helpful. I can see why it was the only hotel that wasn't booked. It was just ok. Not overly impressed.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Jamie D

Travellers are raving about these Fredericksburg hotels

Houston
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I'd give it 2-1/2 stars if I could. For the price of $75/night it was worth it, but you shouldn't pay more. The smoke detector was hanging out of the ceiling which was concerning, but the a/c worked fine and the room was basically clean (or clean enough to tolerate anyway). Breakfast was ok and it was close to Main St., but not really close enough to walk.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple