“Friendly and helpful”

Fredericksburg Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 4 June 2008

I arrived in Fredericksburg at 4 am and the motel I wanted to stay at was, of course, closed. Thank goodness the Holiday Inn Express was open! The front desk was very friendly and helpful-- she even gave us a goodie bag with water and snacks! We asked if we could check in later than the standard 12 pm, and she let us stay until 2 pm (and the front desk person the next day knew about it-- I had an experience at another hotel where the night person didn't let the day time person didn't know and was knocking on the door at noon). The next day, the front desk person was very helpful and pointed out some places of interest, gave us tips on places to eat, etc-- she even had menus from the restaurants for us to look over before committing to a place to eat!

The only thing that is keeping me from giving it an "excellent" rating is that the elevator smelled really funky. Kind of like a public bathroom...

Stayed: June 2008
AmeriKSUITESLaredo, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hill Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2011

Effective May 1, 2011 Breakfast has been enhanced to a Full Hot American Breakfast Buffet Bistro. Due to brand new management, we have improved in guest relations, customer relations, and other related fields to maximize guest satisfaction. We like to extend our thanks once again for your continued loyal support.

Reviewed 14 May 2008

I would highly recommend this hotel. And yes, it's a good idea to ask for a room away from the highway, as it is in any hotel located on a highway, if you are sensitive to those things. It was hot for May while we were there (95 degrees) so the air conditioner was running most of the time, and that effectively blocked out any potential noise. The hotel looks new, and the room was very clean and comfortable. The linens are all branded with the Smart tag - Smart Towels, Smart bedsheets, Smart pillows, etc. They were all clean, white, and soft. I loved the bed! My king was so comfy. And instead of the requisite slick, cheesy comforter that inevitably slips off the bed and tangles in your feet, the bed was covered in a simple blanket sandwiched between two luxe sheets, with a soft throw at the foot of the bed. There were lots of pillows (marking them Soft and Firm I guess makes them Smart) and extras in the closet. The bathroom was very nice with lots of Smart towels (slightly bigger and more plush than typical hotel towels). The room was slightly larger than the average room, and included a desk and a chair/ottoman, iron and ironing board. The bathroom included a hair dryer, and Smart toiletries, plus the tub has one of those curved shower rods that gives you more room in the shower. There is no business center, but included with the room was a hot breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, cinnamon rolls, toast, cold cereal, yogurt, juices. You won't leave hungry. There is a small lap pool on the side of the hotel that felt good on sidewalk-weary feet.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank headnclouds

Reviewed 12 April 2008

In general, I like Holiday Inn Express hotels - in particular, the beds, choice of pillows, the showerhead & the recent addition of hot foods to the breakfast bar. This was a fairly typical property. LIghting in the room was good. Unlike some Holiday Inn Express hotels, this one did not have a complementary computer in the lobby for guests to use. The breakfast area was not crowded when we ate but there are only 5 fairly large tables - there must be busy times when no seating is available. There is plenty of room for more tables - especially if they used slightly smaller ones. The scrambled eggs tasted ok but had some funny "lumps" - like they hadn't stirred them enough - not nearly as good as I've had at other locations.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 December 2007

I would warn anyone who is planning a trip to Fredricksburg to avoid the Holiday Inn Express Hotel in this town. The bed was like sleeping on the edge of a sinkhole. You roll to the middle of the king sized bed into a giant crater.

The smokers are across the hall from non-smokers and my room smelled like a brothel. I couldn't breathe a breath of fresh air.

The people across the hall argued, yelled, slammed doors, stomped up and down the hall all night. At 2:00 and 2:30 AM I called the front desk and asked for someone to have them quiet down and was told I could call the police.

It is directly adjacent to the highway the entire length of the building so anyone on that side will enjoy huge trucks downshifting all night as well as cars reving their engines to make it up the hill or around the bend.

It is not a new hotel, it is an OLD hotel just barely repainted with a Holiday Inn Express sign on the front.

Take your chances. I won't be back. There is a Hampton Inn newly built in town and the price is enough to keep the rif-raf OUT.

Toni Roden

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TheScreamer

Reviewed 2 October 2007

Dropped in here without a reservation. Building is fairly new construction and everything is still nice. Room was clean and well-appointed, even a coffeemaker and free WiFi. It's right off I-10, so easy access there. Shell station just up the street and a restaurant across the street. Staff was helpful in pointing out things to see nearby. My main beef is that is was $99/night. There was nothing wrong with the room at all, but would have felt better about $70/night.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank Scott-from-Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I checked online first and then called to make reservations. I requested 2 roooms together that is what I had the room was clean. It had a country feel to the room the bed was comfortable. I did not eat the breakfast so I don't know how that is. It was busy at check in time but the staff was courteous.
I was satisfied with the service and room.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank lsp38
Reviewed 4 May 2007

Stayed here for one night in May 2007. I am a frequent guest of Holiday Inn Express. This was my first stay at this property.
Lobby with handcut stone and wood floors is nicer than most Expresses. Room itself was typical for holiday inn express. Clean and maintained. No desk provided, only a smal round table. I've never had problems with noise in a Holiday Inn Express before. However, I found the traffic noise from the highway out front to be distracting. I could also hear conversations and TVs from adjacent rooms. I regretted not packing ear plugs. Complimentary breakfast did not have any pre-cooked items like eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, etc. Otherwise pretty standard continental breakfast fair.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business