“Great Choice in a Town Full of Inns”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fredericksburg
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We drove 2.5 hours to visit Fredericksburg for the weekend. After doing a lot of research, we decided on the HI Express based on the price and location to town. Check in was a breeze and we were placed on the top floor on the pool side. We couldn't hear much outside noise except you can hear other people shutting their doors in the hallway. This town goes to sleep early though so I wouldn't expect to hear any noise after 9 pm anyways. The rooms were spacious and brand new. Breakfast was what you would expect, I wish they had more fresh fruit though. All of the employees here were helpful and friendly. We really couldn't ask for more for a weekend trip!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emma2303

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed there with family for New Years Eve and had a wonderful time.
The nicest HI Express property I've ever stayed at (and I am a frequent HI customer!)
The pool is just fantastic, with fire pits, cascades and hot spa. Interiors are also trendy for a HI.
New property, service standards still have a lot to achieve. There was not enough personnel on New Year's Day so no housekeeping; we had to make our own beds. Management didn't even noticed or apologized.
10-minute walk to Main St. Fredericksburg. Nice, peaceful town. I absolutely recommend it for a weekend or holiday stay.

Room Tip: Book a suite with terrace and pool view.
Reviewed 4 January 2013

The hotel was nice and clean but I was overcharged for two nights and the hotel refuses to refund my money! I had made a reservation for Dec 28th with checkout on the 31st. Then added another night for the 31st. When I arrived at the hotel I explained that I had made two seperate reservations because a king room was not available for the 31st. They said that would be no problem we just might have to check out and check back in to another room, which was not problem for us. On the morning of the 31st I went to the checkin counter to try and get thinks straightened out, the two ladies at the counter(Vickie and Julie) were overwhelmed and had no idea what was going on. I explained my situation and they got on the computer, Vickie said it would be no problem and they could find us another king room but she would have to book it seperately and cancel my other reservation. She said to go back to our room and they would call us when the new room was ready. We waited a couple of hours and received no responce, so I went back to the counter and they siad ley me check on your room. Then they explained that they had given away our new king room!, would I mind taking two queens. At this point I just wanted a room so I agreed. The rest of our stay was uneventful until I arrived home and checked my bank statement. I had been charged for two extra rooms that I did not stay in. I immediately called the hotel and talked to the two ladies that had caused all of this mess in the firest place. They had no idea what was going on and kept telling me I had stayed in rooms that I never stayed in. Finally they figured out that there was reservations under my name that were charged a no show fee! These are the very reservations that were created by the front desk ladies!! How can I be a no show when I'm checked in to your hotel! They refused to credit my account claiming tthat I made these reservations and then didnt show up, when this was done my the incompatent staff on site. I then asked to speak to the general manager. He simply repeated what had already been said and that it was my fault that so many reservations had been made. I will be following up with higher authorities at Holiday Inn, but this is ridicoulous! How could I no show when I was checked in to the hotel!! This is the worst customer service I have ever received and I have traveled all over the world. Please do not stay here and please pass on the word. This was a terrible experience that ruined my whole trip!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Christopher D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Christopher D,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am pleased you found our hotel nice and clean. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We were doing a two day Fredericksburg winery trip before heading to New Years Eve festivities in San Antonio. We were looking for a hotel near town in Fredericksburg. Based on the Tripadvisor reviews and prices we narrowed it down to the Holiday Inn Express and the Best Western. Since I am a platinum member with Priority Club, coupled with my corporate discount and the great reviews of this hotel, we decided that this was the go to for us. We were really happy with the choice!

The hotel appears is very new, and the staff is very welcoming. The hotel is right off the main drag of Fredericksburg, and there is plenty of parking at the hotel. When we made our reservation they were out of king rooms, but we made a notation requesting a king, and they kindly upgraded us to a king mini suite. (Probably because of my Priority Club status) Check in was efficient and friendly, and there were plenty of yummy cookies available for guests.

On first entering the lobby, there is a very welcome feel. The breakfast area and lobby sitting area are melded together away from the front desk and creates a very warm feeling. There is plenty of room in the breakfast area in the morning.

Our room was a nice upgraded king room with a couch, two HD TV’s, with plenty of channels. There is also a work desk, “kitchen table”, microwave and fridge. Closet and bathroom space is acceptable, though as with most Holiday Inn Express locations, there is no door on the closey....always seems “cheap” in the new upgraded brand. The bed was very comfortable though a bit tall! The climate control system worked well, but unfortunately the blower can not be left on for white noise, so out came my tablet and the white noises application. The curtains did a fair job blocking out the light. We enjoyed watching the Christmas lights of a neighboring house outside our room.

The breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express hot premade cheese omelets, biscuits (though they were out of biscuits....due to heavy guest loads), gravy, bacon, as well as cold hard boiled eggs, pastries, toast, muffins, cereals, juice, milk. The two hostesses kept the food refreshed and the area very tidy.

They have business center downstairs with one computers and a printer, as well as another in the lobby. High Speed Internet connection was strong around our room. The inside of the hotel clean and nice looking. They had a typical small but clean exercise room. One of the gems of this hotel is the pool complex. Wow.....really nice for a limited service hotel in a small town. Plenty of deck space, a “lazy river” slide, lounge chairs, patio tables, and fire pits that add a nice effect. Since it was near freezing out we did not partake but commented that it would be nice to come back in the summer.

There is not much in the line of restaurants right near the location (one restaurant across the street) but with a car there are plenty of choices in Fredericksburg. On a nice summer night it would be a pleasant walk to the town center.

I think it is the best of the hotels in Fredericksburg.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pcsanity
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Although there are some negatives with our stay, I have to say that our rooms (we booked 2 kings, and one double) were spotlessly clean. The furniture was very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. Each bed had 2 pillows, 2 soft and 2 firm. Our rooms looked like they had never been used.

The pool area looked inviting but it's winter and far too cold to use though I imagine is great for the summer.

Negatives - booking the rooms were a disaster. There is no place on Holiday Inn's website to book different kind of rooms. We needed 2 king rooms and 1 double so we had to book 3 kings. We called the 800 number immediately to make the change but were told that that can't be done even though a double room was available. No changes could be made. Why? That makes no sense and is certainly poor customer service. We finally called the hotel directly and after talking to them and discussing the problem, they said they would see what could be done and called us back a few hours later. Fortunately, they could make the change. (what was the big deal if rooms were available?)
Breakfast is included but don't count on it. They had a good selection of food but there were so many people there to eat that the food went fast. Only one person was on duty to staff it so she just couldn't replenish the food fast enough for the amount of people. I finally got a muffin and some coffee because there just wasn't anything left. The breakfast ends at 9:30 so if you're hungrey, get there by 8:30 as they stop putting out anything new past 9:00.
I would stay there again because the rooms are big, clean, and new. I just would book every room on a separate confirmation and plan to eat breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and could hear the kids on the 3rd floor running around all night. Ne...
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Nice hotel but we were there on 12/28/2012 set to check in at 3:30 told us room not ready, called back st 5 not ready 6 not ready finally at 7:00 we could check in. Just said clening crew didn't want to stay so mgr. was cleaning. Not with in walking distance for most people at least 1/2 mile to start of shops most another 2 blocks beyond that. The building is very nice and so was the breakfast and staff working breakfast. The management needs work.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear cooper204,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I do have to say, before I recount the negatives, that the room was very clean and the lady who helped serve at breakfast was super attentive and helpful. That being said, the rest of our experience was disappointing. Check in is supposed to be at 4:00. We arrived at 4:40 and were told our room was not ready. No sorry, or let us get you another room, or anything. They took our cell number and said they would call us. So we dragged our tired and cranky children to dinner and returned, not having received a phone call at 5:45. The room was ready, but still no apology or anything. As I said, our room was very clean and new, however, you better bring your own blankets if you like it cool in your room, because there aren't any (and it was 27 degrees out that night). Lastly, I know you can't expect a free breakfast to be outstanding, but this one was still pretty disappointing. With all of this though, I still would have probably written a positive review if we had received any type of apology or something regarding the room situation.

1  Thank Brian33b
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Brian33b,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret we fell short in rendering great service during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Joel B