“It lost some charm along the way”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The City Cafe

The City Cafe
Ranked #28 of 135 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hurst, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It lost some charm along the way”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

This used to be one of our go-to places for breakfast when we went to visit family, but the last 2 visits have gone consistently downhill. The decline was noticeable enough that we do not plan on giving it another chance.

The first time we noticed the decline, I ordered biscuits and gravy. The gravy came out lumpy and tasted like flour (which were the lumps). I was surprised they even let it out of the kitchen since it was visibly bad. I scraped off the gravy and ate the biscuits with butter and jelly. The employees didn't even notice or ask about that.

The next time we went we were hoping that last visit was a fluke, but had a similar experience. My over medium eggs had mostly runny egg white in the middle, and we waited an extremely long time for our food and for drink refills despite the fact that it wasn't busy.

The people have always been friendly, and were always kind to my parents and chatty with my dad, who loved to talk to people.

• Visited February 2014

Fort Worth, Texas
“Good Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We went to City Café on a Sunday morning. It was pretty busy and hard to tell who was standing in line to pay and who was standing in line to be seated.

We didn't wait too long to be seated. Service was somewhat slow but our server had good support from others. It took awhile to get our food but our drinks were never empty for long.

The food tasted like your typical café food. It was good but nothing really made it stand out.

Not my favorite place for breakfast in Fredericksburg but I would return.

Visited March 2014
boston
“Good Food, low cost and great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I ate here twice while on vacation. Both times the food was good. The cost was lower than we normally spend on this type of breakfast. the staff was attentive and very friendly. I recommend this spot for breakfast with out reservation.

• Visited March 2014
Dallas
“Good Place to Start a Day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We were staying not far from here so we decided to try The City Café. Good choice. The breakfast was good both days and the staff was friendly. Prices were good for Fredericksburg and a good local breakfast.
We only ate breakfast here so I can't say how other meals were.

• Visited February 2014
Texas
“Great for a group!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Just returned from a breakfast get together with a party of nine. The City Cafe was accommodating and was pleased with the menu and service. Dana took good care of our group and the food was great. Handling a large group was no problem as the space is well suited to groups. I will be back!

• Visited November 2013