“Disappointing experience”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2007

My husband and I spent 5 days in Fredericksburg in July 2007 and The Nest was highly recommended. What an expensively disappointing evening this was! We started off with Ceviche; very attractively served in tall martini glasses; our waitress dumped them on the table without even placing a small plate beneath them. The glasses were filled to the brim and decorated with spikes of red tortilla chips - very difficult to eat, certainly impossible to avoid messing the table cloth! Very embarrassing and not up to the standard of a restaurant who charges such prices and where attention to detail is paramount! When the waitress removed the empty dishes, she picked up the tea spoons we had eaten with and lay them on the table by our plate! My husband looked at me and said: "does she think I'll eat dessert with the same spoon as I ate fish?"
No bread was served with the appetizer and when we asked for it were told (as if we should have known) that it was in the oven! Poor, poor service!
We found the food in general too rich and over the top and the portions far too big.
We live in Austin and are spoilt for choice of excellent top quality restaurants where prices match quality and service received; in comparison we found the Nest expensive, pretentious and the service leaving a lot to be desired! Such a shame!

3  Thank mrs_cb

Reviewed 21 April 2007

I was born and raised here in Fredericksburg and have since moved back to raise my children and be close to my family. I've a big TripAdvisor Fan and got the idea to look at the Fredericksburg Reviews. I was appalled that The Nest Restaurant was not #1 on this list. My husband and I eat there on special occasions because it is one of the most expensive places to eat here, but we have never had even a hint of a bad experience. We also always bring our friends here when they are in town, as opposed to some of the more touristy spots.

For those who like good food, come here, El Gallos (for authentic mexican, service is slow, but well worth it) Rathskellers (anytime) and Friedhelms. Other than those 4, the others aren't that great and usually very long lines during the weekend. Avoid Mamacitas, love their Patron Margaritas, but very average Mexican food and very busy.

Please email me with any questions and I'll hopefully give you some great local advise.

6  Thank lindsayjune3
Reviewed 12 November 2006

If you know something about food, you'll like the Nest. My only complaint is that the wines are marked up too much. Otherwise, this is excellent food in the French provincial mode, leaning heavily on reductions and well considered matchings with vegetables and greens. Our service was unobtrusive, but attentive and the atmosphere, while spare, lends itself well to a pleasant dining experience.

2  Thank Kashic
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston
Reviewed 17 July 2006

The Nest was recommended but what a disappointment in terms of service. Staff that take orders and never return until asked what happened to order !!
The sad thing is that the food is excellent if somewhat over-priced but it just shows that one can not cook up service and atmosphere.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
HOUSTON TEXAS
Reviewed 13 April 2005

The Nest is a gem. The food and service can't be beat. There is a good wine selection. The desserts are excellent. Try the lavender ice cream. The Nest equals "fine dining establishments" anywhere in large cities.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member