“Good hearty German food”

Auslander Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 143 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: German Style Lodge featuring schnitzel, wursts, spätzle, sauerkraut, strudel and more. Also top-quality steaks, fresh salads, and delicious sandwiches. Texas-style Biergarten with over 80 different beers, live music, and pet-friendly.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We ate here for lunch on a Saturday in May and it was crowded. It is a great place in which to take children to dine because you will not have to worry about whether or not they are too loud, etc. There is both indoor and outdoor seating. They serve the same menu all day long so you do not have to worry about missing lunch, for example, if you arrive late in the afternoon. Two of us ordered typical German meals: Weinershnitzel and Sausage. The other person ordered a Cobb salad. The food was tasty and filling. The portions were large. The service was prompt and good. If you would like to try German food in Fredericksburg, this is a good place to go.

1  Thank ToriBarry

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I keep returning to the Auslander because it's a fun place to eat. I can't say that the food is fantastic, or that it compares favorably to real German food (i.e., meals I've eaten in Germany).

Still, there are some very good dishes on the menu. I recently tried their schnitzel sandwich - it was surprisingly delicious and flavorful.

But the real draws to the Auslander are the friendly waitresses, homey décor, and excellent downtown location. If you're shopping in Fredericksburg, you won't regret stopping here.

(On a side note, I'm not a beer drinker, but my friends say the beers here are great.)

2  Thank HappyPenny
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The food was average German food, nothing to rave about. The beer selection, however, is outstanding! They have many drafts as well as bottled beers. The live music on Saturday night was great! We'll be back but not to eat a main course.

1  Thank Shaunty I
Reviewed 3 May 2014

If you want authentic German food in Fredericksburg, TX, this place delivers. Plan to have your wallet full of money as the prices are high. We tried several dishes, and were extremely pleased with the quality and authenticity of the food. They do a good job, but it is expensive.

1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Auslander is located right on Main Street in the middle of the shopping area. We were seated quickly as we walked in for lunch. The inside was decorated country German.

I had Opa's sausage plate with sauerkraut and spatzle. My wife had the cabbage rolls. The sausage and kraut were ok, but I didn't like the spatzle. It was extremely dry. i've had some very good spatzle, but this was the worst. My wife's two cabbage rolls were ok, but they didn't have much seasoning. Her meal came with red cabbage and German potato salad. The red cabbage was great, but the German potato salad wasn't very good. The service was very good.

If and when we return to Fredericksburg, we probably won't be eating here again.

1  Thank TexasNorm