“Enjoyed this basement restaurant”

Rathskeller Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 143 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Had breakfast and really liked the german crepes. WIshed we had gone back to try lunch or dinner. Will definitely go back next time..

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I eat here at least once every time we come to Fredericksburg for a weekend getaway.

The restaurant is tucked away in the basement and does appear very fancy, but apparently all of the effort is put into the food and service.

We both had the Chicken Artichoke. Here is the description from the menu:
Flour dusted and pan seared chicken breast over fettuccine, topped with artichokes and lemon caper butter sauce, served with fresh vegetables.

The combination of artichokes, lemon, and capers was very subtle. We savored every bite. A really nice white wine would have gone great with this meal but we had to drive.

Our waitress seemed to know exactly how much space and attention to give us throughout the meal. She was very low-key, but very helpful and friendly. She was a perfect fit for this very nice restaurant.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My family went to Rathskeller looking to get out of the crazy winds going on in Fredericksburg the day we visited. It is a cellar and the decorations and ambiance are such. We sat down and noticed that a group that came in after us had already been given menus and service. I got up to find out where does one acquire these menus? Was told by a woman who had been cleaning a table and watched us come in and continued to clean and ignore us that she would bring us the menus. Great, dirty cloth lady is going to be our server. She was rude and forgetful. When reminded that she forgot drinks and a side she replied, "Yeah, but do you need ketchup?" No, I need the things I asked for. The food was ok, but really lost in the terrible service.
Would not come back here, would not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Tai Rachel P
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I had the chicken pita sandwich and tea and my friend had chicken salad sandwich. Both were above average. We also got a loaf of french bread to start. It was soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Perfect. I had to ask for tea refills and our check. They had a steady business, but weren't busy. No excuse for the brusk service.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We didn't have a very good breakfast experience. The hostess didn't seem to care whether we ate there or not. When we were seated, the waitress practically threw the silverware at us. My pancakes were average however my wife's meal was good. We did have a hard time getting the waitress to fill our coffee cups.

The food is decent but you might want to bring you own coffee. Don't expect to be treated as a valued customer.