“Clean and Comfortable”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is not the best Comfort Inn I've ever stayed in but the room was clean and the bed was nice and the location was very close to the action but not on the main drag (which was an advantage). The breakfast area is very small and the offerings are the usual. I have to admit that I was a bit put off when I walked in the lobby and beheld the lovely display of plastic flowers resting on stands complete with cherubs. Someone needs to redecorate immediately! But the room was nice and quiet and the price was right.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 July 2014

After reading some not to flattering reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was very pleased on this hotel. The room was very clean and very relaxing. The beds and pillows were some of the best we have ever slept on. The breakfast had a good variety. The only downside was that the breakfast area was too small, needed to be able to seat more people. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. The pool and hot tub were clean and enjoyable. We will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel rooms are very nice and clean. The beds are comfortable too. The hotel is close to downtown area. The swimming pool area is nice. Front desk staff was very friendly; however the breakfast area workers weren't. There was no coffee left and when asked to refill, they couldn't understand me. The breakfast food was ok but the area to sit and eat is very very small. The price was jacked up based on the regular fee because there were activities going on in town.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is not the nicest Comfort Inn, but it was good for our one night stay. It is about what you'd expect for the price. Our room was clean and comfortable, came with a fridge and microwave, and was fairly quiet. The breakfast was ok- pastries, eggs, sausage, but the dining area is very small. There is a pool, but we didn't use it, so I can't comment on that. It is close to town and all the attractions of the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Let me start this review by saying I have never given a hotel a terrible ranting before, and you need to read this review because you just won't believe all that happened. I booked this hotel for two nights after reading several positive reviews...I wish I hadn't. The only good thing about this place was the desk staff. They were as sweet as they could be, and one of them told me that they spend a lot of time apologizing to guests for things that are beyond their control. The web site (Comfort Inn and Suites) stated that it had two queens. Many hotels in the area listed doubles. My husband is 6'8" and my daughter is fairly tall, so we need nothing smaller than queens, or we don't fit on the beds. When we checked in and looked at our room, I immediately realized they were double beds. I went down to the desk and asked to be moved into a room with the two queens like my confirmation stated. I was informed that all of the beds are doubles and "most people don't even notice." I said if I had known that, I would have canceled and booked somewhere else. He then told me that even though my confirmation stated that I could cancel, the policy has changed and you can no longer cancel your reservation once a confirmation is sent (no mater how far in advance). I thought he was kidding, but he told me that it was added to the hotel's web site after I made my reservation and that's why it wasn't on my confirmation notice. We had a small refrigerator but no microwave as stated on the web site. Our A/C wasn't working correctly. The fan would come on and then the compressor, but when the compressor cut off, it wouldn't come back on (it was freezing up) unless you shut the entire thing off, waited for it to "thaw", and then you could restart it (my dad was an A/C man). I did this all night long because I would wake up sweating. The next morning I asked the desk person to have maintenance check the A/C. We were gone the entire day, and when we returned and went to our room, I found a box fan running. I went down to the desk and asked about it. He told me that they had called the manager 3 times about the A/C, and the manager never came to the hotel to check it out. They don't have a maintenance man on staff and the manager has to call someone to take care of any problems. They (the desk) staff felt sorry for us and put the box fan from the front office in the room to help keep us cool because they knew there was a problem with the A/C. They couldn't move us because the hotel was booked, so another uncomfortable night. Now about the condition of the room, there was a dirty footprint in the tub and feces on the side of the toilet bowl. When I asked about having the room cleaned while we went out to dinner, I was told that it had already been cleaned and the footprint was a stain. Guess what disappeared from the bottom of the tub when I took a shower. I began to wonder if they had changed the sheets. As for the free newspaper that is stated on the hotel web site...the desk staff told me they had no idea what I was talking about. While they did have the usual Comfort Inn breakfast items, don't expect to eat in the breakfast area. They have enough tables and chairs to seat a grand total of 12 people as long as someone is willing to share their table with you. I saw two different customers enter the area where the food is prepared to ask for refills of milk (only in one small carafe) for both coffee and cereal. They both complained that the girl was "too busy talking on her phone to do her job." She came out to refill the milk still talking on her phone. I was the only one who ate breakfast the first day, and none of us ate it the second day. Then to add injury to insult, when I checked out I had an additional $25.00 charge. I asked what was that for and they told me it was for my daughter. They said that even though the confirmation was for 3, the price needed to be adjusted because they charge extra whenever there is a third person in the room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank SLRNewOrleans
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had reservations to stay at this hotel but needed to cancel because of illness. Reservation confirmation e-mails said cancellation had to be made by 4pm the day before the reservation. I called at 3:36 pm and was told that the management of this hotel set a cancellation time of 3pm and would not honor what our confirmation said. I had tried to cancel online before calling the hotel but could not locate reservation. I then called corporate customer service but by then it was a few minutes after 4pm so I was told they couldn't help but would look into it. If I had called after the cancellation time I had in a written confirmation then it's my fault but to pay for a hotel room (unless they can rebook it-no way to know if they would be that honest) when I followed their written rules seems deceitful on the part of the hotel management and chain. Had my account removed from the privileges program and was never even asked why.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank khrd
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Fredericksburg can be expensive, but this hotel is very reasonable at $74 per night. Good-sized rooms, clean, new carpet, Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, A/C is a wall unit, swimming pool, great breakfast but limited tables. Downside: no closets in rooms. There is a small space with an iron and ironing board just inside the front door, with an eight-inch wide wooden bar for hanging clothes. We removed the iron and board to make room for my wife's hanging clothes. Mine went on the back of the bathroom door. Hotel is two minute drive from Main St. and all the attractions. The staff is very friendly and polite. Free USA Today newspaper.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple