“Hotel is old and out dated and cleanliness is questionable.”

Budget Host Deluxe Inn Fredericksburg
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I should have listened to the other reviews but didn't. this was the only hotel with 1/2 decent rates. Location was good. Easter weekend if you should visit plan months in advance for a hotel and don't choose this one. Very old building, walls paper thin and trust me when I say you can hear EVERTHING from the room next door. Frig sits on the floor with microwave on top of it. frig is approx. 18 " deep and wide Micro might fit a coffee cup ( They don't supply). dresser has no legs and is very low old TV sits at far corner so you can see it clearly. one night stand only and only one reading light that is mounted so high you have to get out of bed to turn it on or off. Cleanliness is questionable. pillows smelled of sweat all 4 of them and flat as a rock.. the top blanket seemed ok but the 2nd one had stains. the towels in the bathroom stained, the shower cracked tile and maybe mold didn't want to get that close to find out, sink and toilet have age stains. the moldings on the walls are screwed in not glued on & looked horrible. the room is mega small two people cant move around at the same time unless you walk on the bed. windows were dirty and the curtains if you want to call them that were thin and no black out curtains like with most hotels. went to check out and tell the owners my thoughts but no one was in the office because they also clean the rooms ( NO OUT SIDE HIRED HELP) so I called them on the phone the man was up stairs and leaned over the banister:" what do you want " I told him I wanted to check out he said put the key in the drop box then he walked away before I could reply. people skills these folks have are short on welcoming. So why didn't I leave #1 all hotels were full #2 no refunds at all under any circumstances from what I've read unless you cancel 48 hrs prior to arrival date. I was very happy to leave. IF I return I will stay else where.
I paid 95.00 per night and it was far from worth it. one bar of soap and no extra toilet paper. OH the PERKS where have you gone definitely not here.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel. all rooms are noisy read my review above.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank tfarmer2008

Reviewed 2 December 2013

went there for the thanksgiving period. arrived on time, but after two lousy terrible nights we had to leave a day early and go home. the bed was extremely uncomfortable, the noisy heater and street traffic would not let you get any good sleep. when we got home, we found that on booking.com, they notified that we were a no-show and want full payment. we have the receipt, where they charged for the three nights we had planned to stay. I have notified booking.com AND MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO DISPUTE the payment for the full 3 days, instead of just the two lousy days we stayed. do not .. do not .. go there.....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank stephensN6265HN
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Let me start by saying I have never left a complaint about a hotel or any other establishment and I have stayed in some that were pretty bad!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!! These people are nasty crooks!! This place is beyond filthy!! They have people with stinking loud animals living in random rooms by the customers. We had a door inside our room that opened into the room where someone was living with a dog that stunk and the dog barked all night!! There was a dirty towel stuffed under the door like that was going to do some good!! The sheets were yellow and stained. There was no soap or shampoo in the dispensers and the towels were dingy with holes! They put the bathroom door on backwards and you couldn't close it unless you walked in and got behind the door and walked it closed! I will say there was a mini fridge....which doubled as the bedside table!! There was 1 chair in the room that you couldn't have paid me to touch much less sit in!! The ceiling fan didn't work....and you had to make the choice of charging your phone or using the mini fridge...can't have it all. I could go on and on about the filth and fire hazards!! But lets talk price gouging now!! I made reservations for 129.95 PER NIGHT for a motel that I would normally pay about 39.99 for. so I was already prepared to be gouged as there was a festival in town and would have happily paid the 129 a night for a clean old mom and pop place but that was NOT the case!! Anyway....we stayed the first night in the filth and I don't think any of us slept a wink we were so uncomfortable. I had surgery on my wrist 2 weeks before and was very concerned with getting an infection from the nastiness and I slipped on a rock and fell the day before and opened the wound somewhat so we decided we had to get out of this nasty place a day early. I went to the office and without complaining about any of this I told them I had hurt my hand and would be leaving a day early and asked for a refund. The lady was very nice and told me it would not be a problem to call the manager Monday morning and he would gladly refund my money back to my credit card for the night we were not going to stay. I should have never walked out the door because I may never get my money back without my lawyer now. Come to find out....this hotel runs its business off of a cell phone with a lady that answers and pretends to not speak good English only when it is convenient for her!!! She just says over and over to call her within 48 hours if I want to cancel!!! I tell her over and over that i cancelled last week when I was there and was told they would refund my money for 1 night back to my credit card!!! I ask to speak to the manager and he never calls me back as promised!! She cant read my number back to me when asked!! I swear I am one of the nicest easy going people in the world and would never write anything ugly about even the ugly ones but these people have pushed me to warn the rest of the good folks in the world! It is now obvious that these people do this all the time as they sound very practiced, like they are mocking you!! They are robbing good folks blind and making them stay in filth on their vacations and not willing to give them their money back when they have booked more than one day and cant stand to stay in the filth one second longer!! And honestly we don't mind a place that's a little run down as long as the folks are nice and personable and we have a clean room!! Fredericksburg is such a beautiful little place with the nicest people in the world there!! They need to shame this bunch out of town!!! Karma will take care of these sorry people in the end!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank Teressa B
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I want to express my extreme displeasure with this location. It was horrible. We checked in and was immediately presented with a no refunds upon signature form. The hotel is extremely old, we needed maintenance to get us in the door- it was jammed. The bed was 3ft from the door and was the size of a toddler bed. The TV was on a crate and the room's back door opened up to a very large and scary wasp nest and abandoned yet cluttered storage area. The kitchen was old and not well kept. We didn't even stay there we went back to the office and gave back the key. The front desk receptionist did not even ask why we were leaving she just took the key. I have stayed in old hotels that were well kept. There are many in Fredericksburg but this one-NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Room Tip: Please read review first!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kanisha R
Reviewed 20 July 2013

It looked like a nice little place online, but in person BIG disappointment ! Checking not to bad with the misses, but we went into the room put our things down and looked at the pillows because they were on top of the bed so we noticed some stains and they had a funny smell ! So we took them off and before we headed to site see we asked the misses for more cases because the ones that were on there were not very clean she got irritated and said they were clean they had a smell we told her so she gave us more! We did our site seeing ,came back to the room ,and my sister pulled her sheets back and noticed her comforter had soil spot on it, you can tell it wasn't washed in some time, and she took it off so I went on to pull my covers back and omg there was a big nasty dirty spot complete with the funk leaving s on the fitted sheets so we got the owners to come see ,they brought more sheets and said no your room was cleaned this morning and I pointed out it clearly was not, and show them all of the filth so they began to Change the sheets mumbling the whole time ! Not good! And I also noticed the toilet was all moldy ,the shower was nasty dirty also,and the continued saying no its clean was clean this morning! And said they would talk to the maids! And find out what happened! Really what happened is it was clearly not cleaned just made beds! Nothing more was touched !!!! The beds were hard like sleeping on cardboard ! We did not sleep at all!! When we took a shower I put hand sanitizer in the tub wipe it out and put down towels to stand on ! This is crazy to have to pay $110.0 to stay in filth we could have slept in a park and been better off! When we checked out I asked if I could possibly get some off of the room for being the way it was and the mister said there was no problem be caused they changed the sheets !! Wow I have never been so disturbed by a hotel before as I was with this one !! I still can not believe the wanted to put the soiled comforters back on after they changed the sheet! EEEWWW NOT I have pictures of this if I need to show proof!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Sarah N
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I stayed one night this past weekend at this property---on a spur of the moment trip to the area to visit Enchanted Rocks State Park. Anywhere we go, I normally book in advance-- but we had stayed here probably about 10 years ago and it was fine then. This is an older property (probably one of the first hotels in that area)..and is dated. Water out of the lavatory sink came out brown for quite awhile (but the water in the tub/shower did not). My husband said the plumbing was probably the original metal pipes and had most likely rusted and water may not have been run for awhile... which was probably accurate given the rusty stain on the floor underneath it. The sink was also stained and the shower wall had mold on it. Old and outdated I can live with...mold - no...that just confirms that it needs a good thorough cleaning. The carpet was stained. The bed was firm (could have used a topper), but it was okay for a night. The pillows were very thin, uncomfortable, somewhat smelly, and need to be replaced. The towels were thin and one of the washcloths was stained. There was quite a bit of light coming through the window, so could use some room-darkening shades. Pros: the price was 1/2 of what other hotels in Fredericksburg are... front desk personnel nice.. had a microwave/frig. Within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. If you are expecting a 5 star hotel...go elsewhere...if you are on a tight budget, you can probably make this one work for a night. I will probably look elsewhere well in advance the next time we are in Fredericksburg...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TXLuv2Travel
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Budget Host Deluxe Inn in Fredericksburg motel is a true no tell motel. It is dirty, smells bad and needs some serious remodeling to get rid of the mold and dank oder. If that isn't bad enough they will add extra charges to your online bill and not tell you about it at checkout.

I paid for a room with two beds online. When I arrived I found only one bed in the room. When I requested the room I paid for I was upcharged even when I showed them the copy of the online receipt showing I paid for a room with double occupancy.

Online the website says "Pets Welcome", but there is no mention of an extra charge for pets. They charge $16.50 per pet. I was told it is posted on the wall in the office and online. I paid it after I was asked if I had pets.

There was some soap in the shower dispenser, but none in the sink and no bars of soap available let alone shampoo. To be fair the towels and sheets were clean. The room was probably as clean as an old no tell motel can get, but it is dank and moldy.

The bathroom floor was wet around the toilet and it appears the toilet had overfload, as there was wet toilet paper in the water. Of course I didn't notice that until I stepped in it with my bare feet.

They do not allow visitors in the rooms. Some friends staying in another hotel met me and my friend at the motel the next morning before we checked out. My card was charged for each person that they saw entering the room. No mention was made of the extra charges when I turned my key in at check out. When I disputed the charges later with my bank the manager said there was a sign posted in the office about no visitors allowed. Again, I didn't see it, even though the manager insisted she saw me reading it. Be sure to check your bill at check out and get a printed receipt.

After the bank took off the disputed charges I paid $101.70 for a room that was supposed to cost $62.15. All in all you are better off sleeping in your car on the side of the road than this place.

On the plus side, when my friend and I stayed at a La Quinta the next two nights it felt like we were staying in a 5 star hotel. Plus, it was cheaper. Thankfully my bank did not pay the extra charges Budget Host Deluxe Inn charged me after I disputed them.

Room Tip: You are better off sleeping in your car on the side of the road than this place.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple