“Outstanding will minor problems”

Inn on Barons Creek
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The room was well decorated and large with a hide-a-bed and would be great for families. The grounds on the creek provided a great place to relax. The room AC had to be turned down to 66 to keep the room at 72 degrees. (I have a thermometer on my clock.) Often hotels in the category have a thermometer on the wall instead of a window unit. The biggest problem for my husband was that the breakfast area was very warm. The breakfast menu was varied and kept warm on steam tables to even the eggs were not dried out as they often are at a hotel breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
KammieR, General Manager at Inn on Barons Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed it and can't wait for you to return.

There are newer reviews for Inn on Barons Creek

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Location is about a 2-4 minute walk from Main St. The location is ideal as you can easily walk to bars, restaurants, and all the kitschy shops.

Service was very friendly and fast. The front desk personnel were always eager to help.

Common areas are very nice. You can tell they have updated these recently. Nice pool area and sitting area out back underneath the trees and along the creek. The front lobby area is nice and welcoming. Breakfast area was decent and offered nice windows with natural light. These common areas are the highlight of the hotel. The breakfast offering was a bit underwhelming but it was "free" - included. There was a small grocery store on site where you could purchase various sundries and beer/wine. The wine prices were not outrageous either.

Rooms are disappointing. The beds are very hard. Bathrooms are dated and could use refreshing. Our toilet seat was unhinged and needed repair. The towel hooks were not attached properly and needed repair. They did offer a small refrigerator in the rooms which is always nice.

In summary, I would stay at this hotel again if I received a good price and needed to be close to the Main St. Otherwise, I would opt for something else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us while visiting Fredericksburg. It sounds like you enjoyed your time here. I am sorry that you were not happy with your room but you will be happy to know that we are updating this year. I also wanted to thank you for your information on the problem that you encountered with the toilet. It is important to us that every guest stay is a great one, I am sorry that you had problems and that wasn't the case for you this time. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Three friends and I stayed two nights at the Inn on Barons Creek. The staff was very nice to us. Our rooms were big, and the location is terrific. We thought it was very good for the price. We had rooms in the main building.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I spent three nights there with friends. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful, there are lots of parking space available in front of the hotel. The room was big and had two large tvs. The bathroom was big and nice. The staff were friendly and it is very close to the main street.
I think there were short in staff. They had forgotten to clean up our room the second day. We called for some shampoo and they told us as they did not have anyone to send we should go downstairs and take the shampoo. During breakfast things were finished pretty soon and weren't replaced quick enough. I had to wait 5 minutes for coffee and the first day i couldn't eat any pastry because it was never refilled. What was shocking for me was that they did not provide fruit yogurt at breakfast and instead there was a note that said they could be bought at the reception.
The swimming pool was nice and warm as promised but it was outdoor and apparently was ignored in the afternoons,i saw some leaves and dead insects in it and there was no pool skimmer nearby.
The spa was pretty good, when you enter there is a nice smell of lavendar which is very relaxing. I think they did not had enough staff as well. We had been promised a spa party so we expected doing the spa all together but instead 2 of us were taken to separate rooms and the others had to wait for their work to finish. They did open a chanpaigne for us at the beginnig with a basket of fruit which was pretty nice.
Overally, considering the price of the room the service was not good and there wasnot anything spectacular about the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Yasaman J
KammieR, General Manager at Inn on Barons Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review while visiting Fredericksburg. I am sorry that you were less than satisfied. Your comments will be addressed and we will take action as not to make these mistakes in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Rude staff. Lost card information used to book my room then told me they had taken care of the problem but when I went to check out they said they needed the card number. It was my mothers card that was used because she was treating us to a stay here. If I had known I still needed the card info I would have called her before checking out instead of calling everywhere trying to get in touch with her and making her late for a meeting at work. They also told me I would be able to check in early (1.5 hours) because I was going on a winery tour and didn't want to leave our stuff in the car. The girl checking us in was very rude when we tried to check in (ended up being the same one checking us out). The only good thing about our experience was that the room was nice. We stayed in one of the creek side cabins. I most likely will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review about your recent visit with us We are happy to hear that you liked the room.

Iwould also like to state that we take the security of our guests credit card information very serious. In this particular incident, while we were trying to research why we did not have a credit card on your reservation I did inform the Front Office Manager to offer you some drinks go ahead and get you checked in and we would get this taken care of.

The problem was that when your mother made the reservation on line she failed to input all of the numbers of the credit card. When the reservation came down to our FD system there was not a number attached, explaining why we didnt have it. I hate that you feel our customer service was lacking but this situation was not our fault.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We spent 224.87 for a king suite and it was no better then a stay at a Hampton Inn. Actually the Hampton Inn was better because the breakfast at the Hapton Inn includes yogurt and at the Inn on Barons Creek you need to buy one from the gift store. We will NEVER stay there again and it was our 32nd wedding anniversary. What a let down! We heard great things about the hotel, but dollar for dollar, it was not worth it. It was not better then a Hampton Inn. Really!

The Spa was it's saving grace and we would do that again but stay at a different hotel.

Room Tip: We had a view of the front parking lot, not a very nice view of the creek or the outdoors. The room...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theresa C

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay. I am sorry you were disappointed but certainly appreciate your input. I am also happy to hear you were able to experience our wonderful Spa and were pleased.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Came to Fredericksburg for the wildflowers...there wasnt any. Too early for peaches...did get strawberries at Marburgers though! Husband did NOT like the idea of picking strawberries but he held the box.

Went to some of the Vineyards. Messina Hof and Grape Creek were very nice and we did enjoy their wines. Our purchases should pay for an employees salary for the next week or so! The hamburgers at Alamo Springs Cafe are not to be missed. They have deep fried avocados that are yum yum! Found out about these places from the front desk-- great suggestions.

The hotel hasnt changed. We were delighted to see that it was still very clean and again we believe that its in a great location for walking to main street.

I could not sleep and hence, my review at this late hour. My feathers are ruffled because I had to witness an employee being attacked by a guest. Apparently they were asked to move a vehicle from the very front of the hotel to a parking spot and the man came UNGLUED!! Mister Guest...you need to realize that you are NOT the owner of the hotel. You are a guest. You dont make the rules, you stay within them. You dont have to stay again at this nice hotel, you can stay somewhere else. Did you see me sitting on the couch? Or didnt you? Or did you act the way you did because you saw women in the lobby and this was one way to act like a "man". A REAL man would have moved his vehicle without ANY issues and thanked the employee for watching out for their vehicle. (What has happened to our society to be so ugly and mean?) Mister Guest, you made it very clear to EVERYONE in the lobby (from your yelling) that you were going to hurt this employee, you threatened her. You asked for her name and told her that you were going to name her in a bad review on this site. I hope that you NEVER explode at your wife/children the way you did this employee for you could be jailed for your uncontrolled behavior. Yes, the police would have taken you away. You really need to get some help.

To the management of Inn on barons creek and to the travelers that read trip advisor...if he follows thru with his ranting...IGNORE him. There is nothing wrong with this hotel or the employee that was doing her job.

Unfortunately from what I have been reading in some of the posts for this hotel and MANY others, people are not being objective. I dont believe that this site was designed for what it has become. You get your feelings hurt for one reason or another and you then have to try and punish someone namely a good hotel or restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bernice1950

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us while visiting Fredericksburg.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay for teh second time, and sorry that another guest ruffled your feathers.
It always makes the staff happy to read when we have made a guests experience a good one. We look forward to seeing you next time you come to Fredericksburg!