“Very Different”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Trois Estate at Enchanted Rock
Ranked #40 of 80 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Houston
“Very Different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I decided to spend our anniversary at the Trois on the recommendation from a friend. When we arrived in late afternoon, there was no one around except the grounds keepers so we took a tour of the Cap Gun museum in the dark (the door was cracked open.) We had stopped to get some wine, cheese and grapes, so we found a couple of glasses in the open kitchen and went up to the balcony area above the courtyard. We finished our wine and discovered that there are 2 offices. This second office was where we should have started! Our first room - had problems with the AC, but we were quickly upgraded to a very nice room with a jacuzzi tub. The rooms and furnishings are very dark. Lots of wood, and leather, but very clean. The bed was very comfy. We were served an excellent 5 course dinner with only 8 people in the dining room!! (Make reservations for this ahead of time.) Breakfast the next morning was also very good. When I say "different" it is hard to describe. Did we enjoy it? Yes, very much. Would we go back - well probably not.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank huff42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

You will either love Trois Estate or hate it. If you are looking for a Grand Hyatt experience, don't come. If you inspect the weather stripping before you enter your hotel room, don't come. However if you are looking for a completely unique hill country B&B and don't let little things ruin your day, by all means give Trois Estate a try. There were enough negative reviews on this site that we almost cancelled our reservation. That would have been a shame.

The positives: Super friendly staff. Nice guided tour of the facility. On arrival, we were upgraded to the Michelangelo which was huge. Two large sofas, very comfy king bed, hot tub (yes it DID work, hot water & all), and yes the A/C was completely up to the job with 100+ degrees outside. The room was absolutely clean. We were so spooked by some reviews that we even brought Clorox wipes. They stayed in the car. I could have listed the door as a negative if I had a bug phobia. It looked 150 years old and probably was. Yes you can see daylight through it. Yes it was hard to close, until you get the hang of it. Yes, I guess a bug could have crawled through it, but none did. To lock it from the outside, you have to thread a master lock through some rusty chains. If that creeps you out... then I think you're better off at the Hyatt. Trios Estate is minutes away from Enchanted Rock, 40 minutes from the F'burg/Stonewall vineyards, A little farther up to Fall Creek, but shouldn't be missed if you have the time. I enjoyed the $55pp dinner. A reasonable selection of fairly priced wines were available by the bottle or glass. It wasn't a Mark's / Le Mistral / Aura kind of dining experience, but I thought the overall price/quality was in line for the middle of the desert. The morning breakfast was very nice. We had to check out very early our last day and they made us a wonderful breakfast and left it in the fridge for us.

Negatives: Both pools (the surface pool and the grotto) were drained. From the website comments, I kind of expected that, so I wasn't shocked. Still a bit disappointing because the grotto would have been fun if it was functioning. If we had wanted to have dinner there on Thursday, the restaurant was closed. It didn't matter to us so we switched to Friday. They pretty much shut the place down after dinner, again due to the small number of guests, so if you want to enjoy a cognac nightcap on the terrace (nice view of E-Rock up there) you'd better bring your own. Basically if you need anything after dinner (we didn't) you're pretty much on your own as there is no on-site staff at night. The comment about the TV was somewhat accurate, so if you thrive on TV on vacation... head somewhere else. There is one local Austin station, one San Antonio station, Fox news and a smattering of movie channels. It was fine for me. If I was looking hard for construction material to take pictures of and complain about, I could have found it... there is a shop area under construction (although no construction activity while we were there).

My bottom line is that if you want an interesting staging point to do other stuff, you will enjoy Trois Estate. However, even if you like quirky stuff, if you are looking for a multi-day resort / day spa destination, and you don't plan to venture off site at all... you will be disappointed. Weddings and business retreats appear to be their bread and butter, so I presume that they really gear up for that. Summer is their low season due to the heat. I think that probably explains some of the lack of amenities.

We really enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank ChainsawJim
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

My Sweetheart and I just stayed two nights a week ago. I had never heard of Trois Estate, or talked with anyone who'd been. I asked for one their more affordable rooms and paid $358 for two nights. I just read one of the not so positive reviews here, and I can't say what they wrote seems inaccurate, in a sense. The place does need someone managing who pays attention to detail, and owners willing to pay for some additional maintenance, etc.. However, I was truly happy with our stay. I can find B&Bs and hotel room more expensive and more affordable, but I have found few places more interesting, unique, and more of an "experience" in staying there. It does have potential they are allowing to slip away... but I felt like I was staying in an old world village, with a touch of rustic and a touch of class. I pay for very few $179 rooms! I usually look for bargain places to stay. I felt that price was worth it here. The bed was big and very comfortable, it was totally quiet at night and we slept like logs, really peaceful and restful. Our room only had a shower stall and it looked a bit like a renovated barn and we both loved it. The furniture was huge, ancient, classic Mexican wood. Yes, there was a bug or two in our room. The pace is surrounded by the country. The doors do have a few small cracks around them. We felt the room was clean and totally safe from nature and other people. The crowd there were all pleased and like they were very at peace. The full, chef-style breakfast was delicious and included (could have used a slice or two of hearty bread) and this brings up another topic: the $45 dinner was only 4 courses instead of the usual 5 for $55. It was delicious, I mean really tasty and sort of a "designer" meal, small portions yet somehow filling. However, we both agreed, since it included no drink other than water, it was overpriced. With a glass or two of wine the price would have been OK. The chef is great. He looks "rustic" himself. It is true the staff gives a bit of the feel you are at someone's home... but I think it is because they are so laidback. They were polite and acceptably professional for our taste. The Estate is within a 5 minute drive of Enchanted Rock, so you can be there first thing in the morning for a great hike, and back to the Estate for a swim in the underground pool (very cool) and even do a little praying in the the Grotto. Very interesting place that is a touch of art, a touch of ranch, a touch of old adobe town, and a touch surreal. We will go again. The falling stars, the big country views, the clean air and silence, the feel of being alone yet in a village of quiet and friendly souls... appealed to us.

Room Tip: Ask plenty of questions of the booking staff, and read plenty of these reviews. It is a unique plac...
2 Thank paca1957
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

This was my first time to Trois Estate and I was completely blown away!! I had a great time visiting and Rebecca (The Owner) was so welcoming! The landscaping was incredible and I was just in awe of the view to Enchanted Rock. I have been to Enchanted Rock a few times but had never heard of Trois Estate. Trois also had a wonderful ambiance and I would HIGHLY recommend any one to stay here especially for newly weds who are looking for a spot to enjoy their honeymoon. I look forward to coming back here for another awesome stay!

Room Tip: The Bridal Suite is excellent for newly weds.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Cruz C
Lubbock, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Before I begin this review, I want everyone to know that I have never reviewed a hotel before. I am usually a very easy-going hotel guest. I'm good with rustic, a little dirt, I'm even understanding of a few bugs, but I had such an odd experience here that I feel compelled to review it.

This hotel requires you to prepay and has a 10 day cancellation policy so since I didn't know what I was getting myself into, I thought I would attempt to save future guests frustration!

I have dreamed of going to this hotel for years. A few friends of mine planned weddings up there and I've always heard its a nice place and the photos online are beautiful. In truth, it is a cute little place but some of the other reviewers were right to say there is a strange feeling about it. It almost feels like you are intruding in someones home though there are other guests there as well. The building are beautiful from the outside but the grounds are not well kept. There is little to no landscaping to speak of, weeds everywhere, chemicals, torn up, dilapidated furniture and other items that are usually hidden from guests are in plain sight. In addition, the pool was not in working order in June. There is a balcony/deck area (not the roof terrace, but a seperate area) with a fantastically beautiful view of enchanted rock but don't take children up there! There are loose and missing deck boards, some sticking up with nails, there is an opening into a greenhouse-like structure with no railing. A child could easily fall to their death. There is a swinging chair without any seat, looks like maybe they someday plan to repurpose it but haven't got around to it. That's the thing about this place, it truly has SO MUCH POTENTIAL, great buildings, lovely views, wonderful location, but they seem to start projects they can't finish and they don't seem to have anybody really maintaing things.

Negatives:
When we arrived, there was no one in the office to help us. Some people may find this a negative but I figured its a family run place and, having grown up with parents who own their own business, I know you can't be there all the time. But be prepared to wait a while and have to search or call for someone to help you as office staff are few and far between and I don't think they work many hours.

We had specifically asked when making reservations for one of their rooms with a jacuzzi tub because my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. The website advertises this place to be true luxury and we certainly paid for as much at $250 a night. (We stayed at another hotel which was more luxurious on the main street strip in fredericksburg for $180) We were willing to pay the extra for the tub and the luxurious amenities as it was our anniversary. A restaurant staff member walked us over to our room which is like a little adobe hut. On the phone, the owner had suggested this particular room to me because of the tub, the wine bottles in the walls, and the 500 year old doors. I was totally into that idea! However, when we were taken over to our room and found it was padlocked from the outside because the only door to the room in the 500 year old door with all original closing mechanisms, we felt a little strange. The man also informed us that the water pressure was "really low for some reason" but that he had jacked up the heat so if we just waited about 20 minutes we could take a hot bath. We were okay with that. Like I said, we are laid back about this kind of thing most of the time. However, we were left in the room and shut the door behind us, only to find that it didn't lock, just latched. There were large cracks around the entire door through which we could easily look outside and see guests and I'm guessing they could see us if they'd wanted too. This crack let in quite a few bugs and mosquitos. We had to stuff the cracks with the curtain ties to feel like we had some privacy. The curtains were a cheap velveteen but looked nice with the room except that they were hung over the window on crudely cut pvc pipe.

We didn't want to be picky. We are always the "nice guys" when it comes to hotels so we thought, lets just take a romantic bath and maybe its not so bad. Twenty minutes later the tub was not even filled a quarter of the way, he was right about the low pressure, and the water was beginning to go cold as the room has a normal sized water heater. We really wanted that jacuzzi tub to work out for us so we even tried filling it with water from the shower and sink but to no avail, the water was cold and the pressure was too low.

The bed was comfortable that night and it did stay pleasantly cool for my taste, but I am from south texas. Other guests may have been warm since the air conditioning surely seeps out from the cracks. The sheets did seem to be either too big or small because they didn't stay on the bed all night and the bedspread smelled musty. There were just a lot of ambiance details that were lacking, like the shower curtain being a cheap thin plastic, cracks in the wall, and bugs on the floor. I dropped some water while trying to fill the tub and mopped it up with a towel that promptly turned gray. The floors were dirty.

Breakfast the next morning was cooked by an assistant of the chef because he decided not to come in that day. Although it was a little disorganized, I will say that the breakfast was GREAT, and the staff were very friendly. No complaints about them. We asked if anyone would be in the office today so we could talk about the room, we wanted at that point to head for the hills because we felt so odd about our experience but we wanted to see what the staff would offer. Again we were met with a very friendly, understanding staff member who was very accomodating. She gave us the option of a discount on the room, free cancellation of our reservations, or a new room, and she apologized for the problems we had. I don't think this was the first time she's had that complaint.

I will say this, I think it depends on WHAT ROOM YOU GET. The other guests at breakfast were loving it and thought it was great. They were staying in securer looking rooms inside the courtyard, though. We agreed to see a room that she though would better meet our needs and we were very pleasantly surprised. It was much nicer with a real door and a modern bathroom. We still did not want to stay here but we also didn't want to be rude so we agreed to stay in the new room and cancelled our next night's reservation. The second room was much better and probably worth $180 or so. The only problems with that room were the bugs which, in South Texas, it is hard to avoid, and the shower was a tripping hazard because it was springy and didn't feel like it was on a foundation...hard to explain but you stepped on a plastic floor and it bowed inward. Also, the curtains were help up with tacks and the sheets did not stay on. Breakfast the next day by the chef was fantastic and we were very pleased.

I guess I'd say that I have hopes for this place. It could be so great, I think they just need to hire more maintenance professionals and fix some of the quirks, like have the cool 500 year old doors enter into a hallway where there is another, sturdier door or something. Also, don't advertise the pool if it isn't working, and fix some of the dilapidated floorboards and things. Get rid of the broken furniture, chemicals, and other unpleasant things. I am not opposed to trying this place again once they clean up their act. The staff is very friendly, just need more help probably, it is a little chaotic.

I hope this review was helpful. We stayed our third night in a nice hotel on Main street, paid less, and were very pleased. And like I said, some people really loved it, so I think if you pick the right room and you don't mind things being rustic, a little dirty, maybe not everything in working order, then you might like it there. If you are looking for perfection this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: We like the Boticelli and the room directly to its left is very similar, do not risk the Davinci. R...
21 Thank AmberMWFischer

Travellers are raving about these Fredericksburg hotels

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I have been to Trois Estate 3 times.. Once with my family, and then when we booked Trois for my wedding, they were kind enough to let us come stay for one night at no charge, so we could do some wedding planning (since we live in another city) Everything about Trois Estate is wonderful.. the staff, the owner, the chefs, the food , the views, the rooms.. EVERYTHING! If you are looking for an incredible place to get away from everything the this is the place for you.. especially great for a wedding location . And their breakfast is one of the best breakfast I have ever had !

Room Tip: The bridal sweet is the largest , but if you want more privacy simply tell them that and they will b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shayla L
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from Trois Estate from a wonderful stay with Rebecca and her staff. We came to the estate two years ago for a couples massage and had a good experience so decided to return for a relaxing two night stay. We were staying in the bridal suite, which was spacious and well air conditioned. The room was quite comfy. Rebecca gave us a neat tour of the property over a glass of wine...the pour was more than generous!

We ate dinner at the restaurant that evening and it was absolutely delicious! There were three other couples whose company we thuroughly enjoyed. The second day we went to enchanted rock to hike a little... the trails around the park are confusing, but the exercise was good. We later that day had a couple's massage which was relaxing and really hit my knots well.

That evening we went to Fredericksburg for a german dinner and when we returned saw Rebecca and spent another hour chatting with her over wine.

We had a great time at the Trois Estate, Rebecca and her staff made our stay feel like we were home without any work to worry about. We are planning to go out to visit our new friends very soon!

Room Tip: The grotto pool is cool, but with the hot weather it is really a great way to cool down. Don't...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple