“A Great Adventure”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Trois Estate at Enchanted Rock
Ranked #29 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I visited the Trois Estate for three nights over Labor Day and after our wonderful weekend with Rebecca and her family, I'd like to respond to the mixed reviews. Trois Estate is clearly not for everyone. One reviewer wrote it reminded her of Tuscany. I don't know that I agree with that assessment except that it does remind me of my stays at Italian agriturismos - its family run, rustic, and the food is flavorful and simple. We ate at the restaurant two of the three nights - and I think it is by the far the best food to be found in Fredericksburg.

Based on advice from other reviewers, we brought tea and Starbucks instant coffees for the morning. The little frig thoughtfully included small containers of half and half. Sitting outside drinking my coffee was one of my favorite experiences. The isolation is liberating - no cell service and we never turned on the tv. While it is somewhat pricey - we stayed in the Michelangelo Villa - when you look at the upkeep required for the whole compound, it didn't seem out of line. Same for the food. We brought our own wine and felt the bill for five courses was less than we would have paid in Houston - without the amazing view.

As for the accommodations, my husband said he hadn't slept so well in months. He thought the funny door lock was cool and better than a key card. It turns out you have to keep the bathroom door open to get the full benefit of the air conditioning - but once we figured that out, it was fine, even though it was well into the 90's during our stay.

For people expecting the Four Seasons, a visit to Trois Estate will be a disappointment. If you prefer to stay somewhere which is not run by a large corporation, but by a family which is inviting you to share in their adventure, you will love it like we did. If you aren't willing to share the adventure, stay home or stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose one of the villas.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HVane

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We previously stayed at Trois Estates and overlooked some of the less than desirable items because of Chef Elvis. His cooking is over the top - he can combine a complex dish with mouthwatering flavors as well as make the plate visually appealing. The breakfasts were an event! That was then.

Now is different and not in a good way. We stayed 2 nights and had dinner in the restaurant one evening. Air conditioner was noisy and wake up residents each time it starts. The shower never had hot water but hot water was available in the sink. Dinner was no better than what I can make at home. The beef sauce was something out of a package while the filet mignon had no flavor. It was tender but little seasoning did not enhance the meat. The shellfish appetizer was overcooked and dessert was a frozen cake. Both mornings, breakfast was overcooked eggs served with the leftover potatoes from dinner. No bread was served with dinner or breakfast.

While making my reservation I was asked if there were any dietary restrictions - nice touch. I noted that one of the guests has a shellfish allergy. The reservation acknowledged the allergy. At dinner the appetizer was shellfish so, of course, we asked what the alternative was for shellfish allergy and was told that none was available. Don't ask if there are dietary restrictions if you are unprepared to make an accommodation.

Oh well! I am now on a search to find Elvis whether he is at another B&B or not.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kemanche
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My boyfriend and I went a few weeks ago for an overnight stay and had a hard time leaving to say the least! The only way to describe our experience there was "spiritual." The view of Enchanted Rock is gorgeous, but that is just the beginning. The whole space feels as though it was carved out of nature and is so in-synch with the land that we actually had second thoughts about going up to Enchanted Rock in favor of staying and exploring Trois Estate. It was a truly magical work of art on a giant scale, and we were immediately encouraged by Jay (concierge/guide) and Rebecca (owner) to explore the grounds and "make it our own." We were welcomed with a complementary bottle of wine and it was as though they anticipated our every need. Absolutely perfect. We will definitely be making this a yearly (at minimum) tradition. Thanks Rebecca and Jay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Deep dive into the Enchanted Rock experience! Trois Estate will help you do that! This is a magnificent spot in the Texas Hill Country with a spectacular view of Enchanted Rock from the deck above the restaurant. You can watch the sunset or sunrise over the rock. The grounds of the Trois are just cool. It takes you back to a simpler time and away from the hustle and bustle of every day life. Rebecca Trois, the proprietor, is a most gracious host. She treats you like you're long lost favorite family. She is so welcoming and kind you won't want to leave. If you're looking for a wonderfully delightful escape, Trois Estate is your place. I will be going back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Rebecca Trois and her staff are so nice and friendly it feels like you are visiting old friends. The grounds are so unique. We had a girls weekend and stayed at the bed and breakfast. The four of us fit comfortably in the bridal suite, which is gorgeous. The food was wonderful and fresh, you could see Rebecca cooking it. We walked to enchanted rock and hiked it, then walked back...not too far 1/2 m. down the road. Then went into fredericksburg to shop. Then had massages. We had the best time! Thanks Rebecca

Room Tip: look online. The DaVinci room looked cool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Rebecca is a wonderful hostess, the property was AWESOME! I would recommend this B&B had a GREAT time, girls weekend, want to come back with the husband! The food was WONDERFUL, Rebecca goes beyond being a great hostess and makes sure you are being taking care of! Thanks Rebecca for being a gracious hostess you made our stay very comfortable and awesome we will be back! Thanks.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Only used their day spa. Then I checked out the place and I loved it. The restaurant is a gem. The view is great. If I come around here again I would stay here. Oh the massage and facial was awesome! This B&B is also 1.2 miles from the Enchanted Rock entrance so why camp or why stay so far away! This place is perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013