“We will be coming back again and again!”

and 1 more site!
Back Forty of Fredericksburg
Ranked #65 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We've been here twice now... once to celebrate MY 40th Birthday, and just recently to celebrate MY WIFE'S 40th birthday. The grounds are beautiful, the sound of quiet is all around you, and the food Mrs. Collins prepares is five star quality. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe W

Reviewed 16 August 2012

The Back Forty was a wonderful retreat from everyday life. It is a rustic country BandB where you will see no other guests. At night it is do dark that you can see the Milky Way float across the sky and a shooting star, if you take the time to look. You can pet the horses in the morning and partake of a wonderful full breakfast. Our room was clean and very comfortable and quiet. It was the perfect place to recharge the spirit. To those nay sayers, yes I read your reviews, I say this. You twenty or thirty something's, you who have never been disconnected from your IPhone or Facebook, you have no appreciation for the solitude of the real world. As a matter of fact, it scares you to death. So I say to you, go spend time at a big resort with lots of bars and noise with other insenitive and ineffectual young people. That is there you belong and leave this lovey tranquil place to those of us who can appreciate its beauty.

Room Tip: The rooms are rustic, a real feel for country living
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn G
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Apparently the MAIN complaint is the total GREED of this establishment and the HIDDEN fees that this establishment hits your credit card with. Other reviews I read indicated charges for massages never received, $150 for unknown reasons, and attempts to get more $ out of you. I too booked a 2 night stay, knowing that there was no refund, and had to cancel. When I asked if the "deposit" (which is NO DEPOSIT but the full payment in advance) could be applied to another weekend it was declined. But this "gracious" lady, Patricia (who has been described as crazy in previous reviews), would not accomodate. But she would be willing to give me one night for free if I booked another weekend. Why would I give her more free money!? When I looked at their website for availability, there are MANY VACANCIES for every weekday AND weekend in JUNE and JULY.... REALLY??? That's peak summer vacation, so there is your proof that there is something wrong with this place. Honest places give you your refund with advance notice with a minor cancellation fee. I made the mistake of not reading reviews in advance, so my lesson learned. DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY BUSINESS. THEY ARE UNETHICAL!!

Room Tip: Read the horrible reviews of this place before booking a stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Denise W
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have stayed in B&B's up to $6000.00 a week resorts. We spent two nights in the guest house 25 & 26 March. Why do people have to be so nasty in reviewing, I would love to see there usual environment !! Never met the Inn Keeper but that was OK, did meet her husband a pleasant chap, big guy but not deserving of the insults from one reviewer. I doubt and it was never mentioned that they did, that Charles & Camilia slept here, probably went to ride and used as a changing room, but an ex Guardsman of the Royals did sleep here!!
I would agree with the review of Latin-Vanilla, "Charming and Neglected" Great location very peaceful suited the purpose for us even if more $$$$ than Hampton Inn just down the road a way. Folks this is a convert barn, I agree it may have been better without the cob webs and dust in some areas. The bed was in the roof so at 6ft even my brides 5 ft we hit our head a couple of times before we learnt. Yes it was a pain trying to get downstairs to the bathroom in the night. There was a musty smell like that in an old second hand store, never did pin point it, was not the pillows but definitely there. As for breakfast I never went hungry Cereal, toast, cinnamon cake, orange, milk & coffee were provided.
We enjoyed our stay if we went again I would be more interested in one of the other accommodations, but then we would not have been so private, by the way there was a very subdued lighting on the porch, the doors locked and opened fine, and I never caught anyone wanting to catch a peek through the windows, I'm sure they had better things to do.
So hope that helps, and it was cheaper than the Swed guys Cabins.

Room Tip: Lighten up and stay positive!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank britex
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My boyfriend and I planned a little one night getaway over our spring break.. We were SO excited to stay at back forty. It looked REALLY nice in the PICTURES. When we arrived, i thought to myself... are you freaking kidding me? THIS is what we are paying for?? For one, we couldnt even get the doors to open! we litearally had to push and shove the door for 10 minutes to finally get it open! THEN, they wouldnt even lock!!!! Our "breakfast" was cinnamon rolls in the mini fridge. The bed was SO uncomfortable, not cozy AT ALL! there were NO curtains in the many windows in the cottage. NO privacy at all. The pool and hot tub were disgusting as well. The sad thing is, we literally flushed this money down the toilet! we DIDNT EVEN STAY THE NIGHT!! we were so disgusted and creeped out with not having any curtains on our windows and PITCH BLACK outside without any kind of lights, we packed our things at 2 in the morning and drove back home!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! do not make the same mistake we did. This is a HORRIBLE bed and "breakfast!" The loft was covered in dust and spider webs!! we could not sleep there. Not to mention, the railing for the staircase was SO wobbly you could bearly touch it and it felt like it was about to rip off! super dangerous!!! The shower was so tiny, one person could bearly fit. I could go on and on about the horrible things you will encounter if you stay here!!! do not waste your money!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cross_409
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My girlfriend and I spent our annual summer vacation at the Back Forty! It is a beautiful property, close to town, yet isolated and tranquil. We stayed in the French Cottage, which I would highly recommend for a girlfriend getaway - it is simply charming! The horseback riding with Veronica was just a blast, the massages (afterwards) :-) were very relaxing. and the homecooked breakfasts, especially the pecan pancakes were to die for! Bill and Pat are very gracious hosts, I only wish that we would have had more time to chat with them. The inground pool and spa were a big plus since it was so hot, and stargazing from the back deck was incredible. I would highly recommend the Adobe Grill for dinner, and for sure go to the RockBox Theater - the show is one of the best shows that I have ever seen - music from the 50's to the 80's and the talent is top notch! My girlfriend and I would and will make it a point to return to the Back Forty!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Carole T
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Well we booked a room for memorial day weekend but had to cancel, mind you this was just two days later,so I called the lady that runs the place and told her our reasons for the cancellation and she told us there was a 35 dollar cancellation fee which was not on the website by the way, so we said fine. Today we look at our statement for our credit card we used and it already been charged over 500 dollars for services that had not been rendered? i called the lady that runs the place and she tells me that she will not credit my card until the cottage had been booked,that was their policy which was supposed to be email to us but never was.I get into an argument with her and she has promised to refund my card within two days, we shall see. DO NOT EVER GIVE THIS CRAZY LADY YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER! DO NOT EVEN GO HERE! BE WARNED! There are made up policies which are not stated on their website. So please do not give this place any business!!!!!!!!! Sorry for any grammar mistakes I am just so mad right now

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple