“Please read the reviews.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Back Forty of Fredericksburg
Ranked #64 of 80 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Tucson
“Please read the reviews.”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Back Forty B&B with its beautiful five year old pics of the lake and the idyllic cottages are far from the experience we just had. I truly understand the drought issue, but why continue using pictures from the past. I could go on and on. The bottom line is that the owners are not interested in the well being of their guests. It is only about the money plain and simple. There are two types of people in the world. The ones that try to make life a little better for others, and the other kind. I don't understand how this place stays in business. This Bull$%^^ about Prince Charles and Camille staying in a cottage. Yea, let them stay in the cottage we had with the bed upstairs. I would pay to see them crawling on their knees to their bed and sleeping under dirty linen. I wonder how they would enjoy using a hand towel for a shower towel. Lets not forget the bananas and the store bought cake-strudel. I am sure the Queen would be thrilled to learn how Bill and Pat such wonderful caring people took such good care of the Prince. It almost begs for me to yell, "GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!"

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael L

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Back Forty in June of 2013. The accommodations were charming and the hosts were very courteous. Water level in the surrounding creek was very low but I suppose this is normal for drought areas. I see a good deal of negative reviews from people who seem to not appreciate the charm, proximity to downtown Fredericksburg, the wildlife, or the home-cooked breakfasts. I stay a hotels across the world on a regular basis and this is exactly what we intended - a vacation... a step back. The reviews here resound a generation who cannot pull their skulls away from an iphone for 5 minutes. If you want 100% sterile and new accommodations, grab a Holiday Inn. If you want to take the pace down a bit and enjoy a nice breakfast with some interesting character, try the Back Forty.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luis B
Kansas City
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed in the Garden Room suite. A last minute decision for a weekend getaway. The online pictures looked fantastic. We have stayed at many other F-burg B&Bs over the years for about the same price, so our disillusionment came from the décor being very dated (the bedding and linens especially), and extremely uncomfortable mattress which resulted in neither one of us sleeping well. We brought our swim suits but decided not to take the plunge because the pool was dirty and the hot tub out of commission. For the price we paid, we were extremely disappointed and won't be returning. After reading the other negative reviews posted here, I'm surprised the owner isn't being more aggressive in addressing the issues other travelers appear to be having. Sad!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LandofOz14

Travellers are raving about these Fredericksburg hotels

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Cobwebs, dead bugs and live ones everywhere. .unhabitable conditions.
Luckily no one was in one of the other cottages so we did not have to stay in the one we paid for. The cobweb photo was from the cottage we would have had to of stayed in if the other wasnt open. We actually would have had to rent a hotel room or slept in the car and just given the $400 to Back Forty because it literally was that bad. No I am not a clean freak or terribly picky.
Read the other reviews! Being new to TripAdvisor I brushed them off as the people were probably too picky. Please don't make my mistake.

The owner was friendly but when I called to confirm my weekend she did not tell me the pool was not maintained. I believe that should have been mentioned before my reading it in the note in my photo I posted. Central Texas in the middle of summer, I was looking forward to swimming! At least a discount would have been in order, but no!
There was an open strudel and coffee that was in a canister that could have been there for years. There was day old bread and fresh milk and oj plus 2 fresh bananas along with a dried apple that we fed to the horses.

The view of the sunrise in the morning was beautiful and the deer and horses that live around there was a treat to see.
Very open and mostly quiet, i believe there is some type of manufacturing facility nearby.

I think the owner should take a few weekends and live in her cabins and pretend she spent hundreds to vacation there. It seems she put about 5% of care into us coming and putting almost $400 bucks in her pocket.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank djgetaways
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This is quite honestly, THE worse experience I have ever had with lodging. I give it 1 star only because it DOES have a bed and bathroom. I actually left this property before my intended check-out because it was so bad and so was the service. To summarize-

* A property that describes "overlooking a small lake" that overlooks a field. Now I don't fault her for the drought, but for not updating the website or TELLING ME about the changes, that's just poor business.
* A property that doesn't even have signage, making it difficult to locate.
* A property that promises a pool and Jacuzzi but in reality had broken furniture and was filthy dirty. It looks NOTHING like it does on the website. She told me it was going to be repaired that it broke the previous week but why not tell me that BEFORE I made the reservation? Again- dishonest business practice.
* A "King" bed that was really 2 twins put together that seems at least 10+ years old with shoddy linens and pillows and a worn out "foam square" placed on top she calls a "memory foam".
* No respect for privacy (no curtains on the windows, if present they were sheer and worn ).
* A bathroom with old, worn towels and a faucet that doesn't work.
* A kitchen with 2 forks and 2 plates (I was going to stay for 10 days!)
* Old food and coffee
* A tiny old TV that only got 1 good channel, the rest had poor reception.
* No local guides or suggestions on Fredericksburg, which is standard in every other B&B. In fact one magazine was from 2009.

For this kind of $$ I have stayed at places 10x nicer. I would rate this about equal to a Motel 6. There is no update to the property, usually no answer when you call, and when I attempted to speak to the owner she hung up on me TWICE!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere- I used First Class B&B Reservation service and they found me a great place within...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We didn't stay, in fact we've never even been to Fredericksburg. This review is about our attempt at a reservation and cancellation. We called and made a reservation and about 10-15 minutes later called to cancel. We found out last minute that we were not going to make it. We called and were met with a very nice response and an understanding lady. However, we've still been charged and despite calls and email assuring us of the refund it has not occurred. We should not have been fully charged to begin with, it was a reservation for a date more that month away from when it was done and we were charged very quickly, almost immediately. There are more reviews very similar to this on Trip advisor, reviews we did not heed. Fair warning, I'm sure its a great place to stay but be advised... they will charge you immediately and you need to be sure you are attending otherwise you may encounter problems.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gabecod
Harker Heights, Texas, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We've been here twice now... once to celebrate MY 40th Birthday, and just recently to celebrate MY WIFE'S 40th birthday. The grounds are beautiful, the sound of quiet is all around you, and the food Mrs. Collins prepares is five star quality. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple