“This Hotel is a Dump!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Freeport
Houston, Texas
“This Hotel is a Dump!”
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We checked in, went to our room and started looking for another place to stay. The bed looked like it came from a dumpster. The pillows had marks on them where people drooled. There was mold and mildew on the bathroom walls. Bugs on the carpets. The lobby where breakfast is supposed to be served had the box of Corn Flakes sitting on the back counter open and next to a huge pile of old newspapers. We left our dogs in the room for a short period of time while we looked for a new place to stay. Some Fishermen told us they cried the whole time that we were gone. They didn't like the hotel either. We went down Highway 288 about 5 miles away and found a Holiday Inn, a Hampton Inn and best of all a LaQuinta Inn. The LaQuinta Inn charged the same but did not charge for the dogs as the Country Hearth had. It was cleaner also. I would not even recommend the Country Hearth to my worst enemy. Trust me when I say, you do not want to stay there. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bbcarr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I checked in, the air conditioner in the room did not work, but from the looks and horrible smell of the room I did not want to stay in any room in this roach motel, even a room in which the air conditioner did actually work. All I needed was a few hours sleep before boarding a boat at the dock across the street, so I just slept in the car with the engine running and the air conditioner on (which does work). If I needed anything more I would have tried to find a different hotel. This place is the perfect location to stay the night before or after a trip on the boats at the dock across the street. The only positive thing I have to say other than the location is that they did not hesitate to give me my money back after I declined their offer to put me in another room.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank CJRogers
Central Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2009

First, keep in mind that Freeport is not a major tourist destination, and has few travel amenities. I was looking to stay on the west side of town, which has nothing other than this property, as far as I can determine.

I have simple needs - a comfortable bed, comfortable room temperature, functioning plumbing, and a decent shower. Preferably a television in good working condition and, ideally, free internet access. In my first stay at this property, all of the above were fully available. The bed was quite comfortable and the shower had lots of pressure and hot water. The heater worked well. All for an AAA rate of <$50 before tax.

The owners are, let's call it "low key." Breakfast room/lobby was locked at 7:00 am, although breakfast is stated to start at 6:00 am. I rang the night bell and the manager came out, apologized because it was a very slow day (3 cars in the lot), and made fresh coffee. Breakfast was basic cereal, milk, Sunny Delight, coffee, white bread with a toaster, butter and jelly. All I need.

Down side to my particular room: bathroom fan is deafening, and runs if the light is on. So I turned it on only when needed.

In summary, this is a nice basic motel, and the only one I can find on the western side of Freeport. If you want more amenities, you will need to go to Lake Jackson, NE of Freeport, along the road opposite the massive chemical plant, which has a row of at least half a dozen national chains. A bit more expensive but not bad either, in my past experience.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank CentralTXFoodLover
Kansas
Reviewed 6 May 2008

We were traveling through and thought a night stay in Freeport would be nice. We read the reviews and didn't see many problems. The lobby looked clean and the manager was pleasant enough. Our rate was just over $60 and didn't expect much. We requested and received a non-smoking room on the second floor. My wife arrived in the room first and ask if I smelled anything. I said "stale smoke but lets turn on the a/c and dry out the air maybe we can get some of the smell out". I sat on the worn out love seat while my wife sat on the bed with her legs on the bed. I noticed little bites on my legs. I had about 3-6 bites and then realized fleas on my legs. I went to the bathroom and found cigarette ashes on the floor in the corners, need I remind you that it was a non-smoking room. We decided to leave and let the a/c do its magic. While in the car we could still smell the stale cigarette smoke and blend of stale grease and alcohol. We smelled like a bar and grill. About an hour later we arrived to find the smell even worse and guess the colder air made the fleas madder. We checked out and told them of our problems and they wanted to put us in another room. It is my experience if there are fleas in one room, there are fleas in all the room. We didn't want to sleep with bug repellant on us. The bed looked alittle lumpy as well.

• Disliked — bugs, dirtiness, smoke in room, stale nasty smell
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank KansasKim
Indiana
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Nice place to stay if you're fishing with Elliott's or one of the other charters. Basic hotel, but right across from the boat dock and right next to a decent restaurant and a convenience store. Pool on site. I didn't need the car for days at a time. I found the staff very helpful. I have stayed here twice for a week at a time and have booked again for next week. It's very busy on the weekends, more quiet during the week.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — Nothing really. I had limited needs and the hotel filled my expectations very well
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
3 Thank Dudley_Nightshade
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 22 February 2007

This inn is fine if you are planning an overnight stay, or a stay that involves simply sleeping and nothing else. The service was pretty bad; there was nobody at the reception most of the time and repeated (loud) calls also went unanswered. The room was basic, but clean. Only 12 channels on TV. The free continental breakfast was not very good; cereal was there but no sign of milk. Overall a very average place to spend the night.

• Liked — Room was basic but clean
  • Disliked — Very bad service
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank amitshesh
Sugar Land, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
Reviewed 17 July 2006

This review is of the Country Hearth Inn (CH) in Freeport, Texas. My stay was over the one night of 15 July 2006.

The CH-Freeport, part of the Country Hearth chain, is a two-story motel (not hotel). It's on 2nd Street just off Velasco Street (FM 523). It's in a mixed residential/commercial area and directly across from Capt. Elliott's Party Boats.

Previously, I had twice stayed at one other CH (Columbus, TX), having one bad experience and one much better experience, each due to the quality of the hotel management.

The night before the CH-Freeport stay, I was thinking about taking a weekend getaway trip to the Surfside Beach area, but I wasn't 100% sure that I would go. Per a Web-search, all Surfside motels and several in Clute & Lake Jackson (several miles away) were already sold out. I hesitated to book a room on the CH website for $49 due to the strongly stated 72-hour cancellation policy, so I appeared at the CH-Freeport as a walk-in. The nice Indian managerette, upon hearing my request for an upstairs room, cheerfully said, "Oh, I'll have to charge you for two people -- there are two beds." My rate was $55 + tax = $62.

The motel looks attractive enough from the outside, and the landscaping is appealing and nicely maintained. The motel's parking is all on one side of the property. I walked up one of the several concrete staircases and around to the far side of the building, facing 2nd Street with Capt. Elliott's Party Boats on the other side. One of the CH's second-story concrete walkways was so cracked and uneven that I questioned its structural integrity.

My room had dark (black), unvacuumed, worn carpeting. The only ceiling light was a heat-lamp-type bulb near the window. The first table-lamp in the room had no on/off switch and no light bulb. The other two table-lamps, which did work, were too dim to light the room effectively. There was a round table (with old smudges on it) in the front of the room, and a desk (also with old smudges) in the back, each with dirty chairs.

The bathroom faucet was corroded. The TV remote was missing its "volume up" button. The fold-out suitcase rack was completely rusted. Someone's old chewing-gum was stuck on the edge of the bathroom counter. Next to this gum was the room's only significant amenity -- a coffeemaker with packaged coffee and condiments. There was one small bottle of CH shampoo.

The motel has a nice-sized rectangular pool. I chatted briefly with the three men swimming in it, who turned out to be local residents and employees of Capt. Elliott's Party Boats across the street. Who knows why they were there?

After time on the beaches, I returned to the room and showered. The bathroom was very small. The water pressure was on the lower side of adequate. The bathtub loudly creaked underfoot, and had I weighed more than 190 lbs., I would have feared cracking the tub. The tub's design was such that the bar of soap and bottle of shampoo would slide off during one's shower.

Bright spots: All bath and bed linens smelled very fresh. The room's air conditioner (not on when I arrived) proved very strong, and it served to drown out most noise from the outside corridor and beyond.

At 10:15 p.m., I wanted to find a fountain-drink and a snack. Nothing was open nearby. I had to drive a full 2.5 miles all the way to Hwy. 332 (leading to Surfside) to the Buc-ee's convenience mart. When I returned, an outdoor, increasingly drunken tailgate-type party was in its earlier stages at Capt. Elliott's Party Boats.

I wanted to read the newspaper while lying on the bed, but the light was too dim, so I had to sit at the back desk on the filthy, sagging chair. I then wanted to research something in the local phone book. Despite a pallet of "new" local phone books (dated December 2005) in the motel's lobby, my room had only a November 2004 edition.

The party at Capt. Elliott's had picked up in intensity at 1 a.m. My bed, which "looked" saggy, was indeed that; my back hurt in the morning. I was awakened twice (briefly) during the night by a shout and a door slamming.

At 8:15 a.m., I stepped out of my room. The doorways on either side had garbage set out in front of them, despite a trash-can not ten paces away. Another guest approached me and said, in friendly drunken manner, "Yew got a cigarette? I'll give yew a can of Red Bull for it." I had no cigarettes, and he lurched away disappointed.

At 8:30, I went to the unstaffed lobby for the "breakfast." It consisted of a loaf of not-too-fresh bread, a toaster, some melting butter, warm orange juice, an empty milk jug, three glass containers of various dry cereals, packaged muffins, and no coffee to be seen anywhere. Perhaps Management thought (unlike ANY other motel ANYwhere) that because there was coffee in the guest rooms, no more was needed elsewhere.

Checkout consisted of my returning to the (still-) unstaffed lobby and waiting to turn in my key. Eventually, a sleepy 9-year-old girl appeared and took my key without a word.

To potential guests: Stay in Lake Jackson or Clute (but not at the Motel 6) if you possibly can; the extra distance to Surfside will be small potatoes. Book at this Country Hearth only if you'd otherwise have to sleep in your car, or if you're prepared in advance by this review for what you might have to put up with.

Country Hearth Corporate, we have a problem. The building is dilapidated; service is nonexistent; furniture and fixtures are inadequate; and the clientele needs to be viewed as more than merely the patrons of Capt. Elliott's Party Boats. If this were my first impression of Country Hearth Inns, it would be my last. If I were in charge, I'd immediately sell the property and de-identify.

• Stayed July 2006
35 Thank TBoneTX
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Quality Inn
Best Western Plus Lake Jackson Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#4 of 6 in Lake Jackson

Been to Cambridge Inn and Suites Freeport? Share your experiences!