“The pickings are slim along the beach”
Review of Red Snapper Inn

Red Snapper Inn
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Freeport
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

For many years, there has hardly ever been a decent café on Surfside Beach. This one is refreshing. The quality of the food and service are decent and it is worth the time to stop. Someone has built a motel nearby, so this eatery is in a good location.

Lin B, Owner at Red Snapper Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review. Look forward to serving you agian soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

First, my husband has never liked calamari until he ate it here when my daughter and I ordered it as an appetizer. I had the red snapper and it was delicious. The atmosphere was wonderful with friendly wait staff.

1  Thank Shannon S
Lin B, Owner at Red Snapper Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your great review. The staff will be glad to hear your positive feedback. Look forward to serving you again when you are back in the area.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

A must try stop in Surfside Beach. Years ago an article was written about this place which described the owners philosophy as delivering consistent delicious seafood. We last visited Red Snapper three years ago and returned the next night because it was so good. We just returned and after three years, this establishment has hit their goal...same great consistently delicious seafood. Casual atmosphere and a good place to go to after a day at the beach. Pricing I still feel is about higher than it should be on adult meals, and 20-30% high on kids meals at $15 each.

Thank you for your kind words. That has been our driving force for over 27 years and it's great to hear we are succeeding in that area. I will gladly pass this on to the kitchen staff. Pricing, unfortunately, is a result of market forces beyond our control. The oil spill, barge spill, increased fishing pressure, and inflation have all played a part in costs doubling for many fresh items. We try our best to find the appropriate balance between cost and value. thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Food and atmosphere were equally UNIMPRESSIVE... Two of us had burgers which were, they admit, edible. My son had charbroiled shrimp with rice. It was $17.95 and included 6 shrimp over a bed over unseasoned rice. I had the shrimp and oyster poboy and it was less than mediocre. The home style chips were greasy and unapealing. I won't go back.

Lin B, Owner at Red Snapper Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

We are saddened you didn't like our food but we do not apologize for the perceived expensive cost. In our industry, you get what you pay for. We do not serve any prefabricated foods only fresh Gulf seafood that we filet or peel and devein in house. There is an added premium for cutting your own fish and hand making every item. This is part of the cost of each food item. We are thankful that many of our guests are appreciative of our time and effort to provide them with an outstanding fresh meal and great service. This has allowed us to grow and prosper for over 27 years. Although I would prefer that every guest would love our food, service, and ambience, returning again and again, I know that is not possible. I would hope that guests would not make a judgement on one visit or one food item but would encourage them to let us know when they are here that they would like to try something else more to their liking. I am sure we can get them a dish they will fall in love with.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had forgotten how good fresh shrimp can be, and my experience at Red Snapper Inn has pretty much ruined any chain seafood restaurant for me - which is normally my only choice. I don't remember what everyone in our party had, but everyone absolutely loved whatever it was they got. I had the fried crab finger appetizer, the deep fried jumbo shrimp, and the shrimp gumbo. All were excellent, and as I am sitting here right now writing this review, I am wishing I had another helping of each. By the way, this is not the type of shrimp you want to bastardize with any kind of cocktail or tartar sauce. It's very tasty just as it is.

I liked the very simple ambiance of the place. The service was good. Frankly, none of this even mattered once we dug in. It's not upscale or trendy chic decor. Who cares? The food rocked.

Cost us about $30/ person - appetizer/meal/soda.

I am looking forward to eating here again next time I am in town.

Lin B, Owner at Red Snapper Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thanks for the great feedback. We love that you enjoy the food and love it without the sauces. If anyone does care for sauce, all our sauces are homemade and made fresh daily. Look forward to serving you guys again soon.