“Great Getaway weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Great Getaway weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our getaway weekend last weekend. We found the newly renovated guestroom to be very comforable and the staff to be friendly and responsive. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfortable accommodations and great servi e.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Thanks for writing your review. You are right, we are perfect for a short get-a-way with our resort pool and spa. Our staff takes pride in their service and I'm glad you experienced this. Thanks for recommending us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

It was a nice hotel but not worth the price. We were on the 4th floor and the ice maker would rattle so loud at least once every night it woke us up. The heating/cooling stysem was noisy and didn't work that well. Very nice pool area. If you don't need it don't let them give you a wheelchair accessible room. Great if your in a wheelchair but horrible bathroom if your not. Consists of shower, toilet and sink all in one room. Not great if you have a small child.

Room Tip: Stay away from 4th floor ice maker
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank csmom525
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stayed here one night. I would not have stayed a second without requesting another room. The room I stayed in was noisy. It sounded like a vacuum cleaner was running in the room next door. At first I thought it was the air conditioning, so I turned it completely off and turned off all the lights and bathroom switches, but it was still very noisy. I walked around my room to see if I could determine what was causing the loud noise but had no success. It was not the ice maker or the coke machine. So it may have been that my room was next to a central duct or something. Whatever it was, I used the TV to drown it out. I would stay here again if I could be in a room that did not suffer from the same problem. Room 317.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Thanks for staying with us and please accept my apologies for the noise in your room. I appreciate the tip and think we have figured out what caused the noise. If you want to contact me directly I would be happy to do something to make this up to you. Sorry again about the noise. 409-765-7721.
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

We've been coming here for years. The Hotel is always improving and adding services. The Spa is first rate, book the Hot Stone Massage with Amy. Loved the renovated rooms and the lovely pool, even heated at night! I would love to see a larger bar/casual dining area in the lobby as a consideration for the future.

A great weekend retreat. We enjoyed people watching with two weddings the Saturday evening we were there.

We ate at the Mosquito Cafe on 14th Street two times and really enjoyed the food and casual, neighborhood atmosphere.

Room Tip: The island view is very nice..I think its better!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

First Impression of our room was, it is really small, and city view isn't something to be excited about! If you think you are going to get a look at a nice looking city you will be disappointed, so spend the extra money on a ocean view!

The rooms are very small, the showers are awesome and the king size bed, I wanted to take with me! They have a nice flat screen tv, but the pic quality wasn't HD, but that is ok, we weren't there to watch tv!

Found out that the Hotel was Haunted and it could explain a lot of weird things that happened in our room!

I am not one to believe in ghost or paranormal activity, but I believe they happen at the Galvez, didn't find the activity to be threatening!

This is a awesome hotel, with a lot of history and all the staff have stories of ghost and unexplained activity that goes on at the hotel!

If you are afraid of paranormal activity don't stay on the 5th floor!

Food and drinks are very pricey, but there a several good restruants and liquor stores :-)
I will return!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Tomball, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

This hotel is gorgeous and elegant. The room had beautiful view of the courtyard and the Gulf. The service and food was excellent.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed in room 558 on March 21-23. The staff was great; most notably, the front desk clerk and a young valet parking attendant. The lobby, especially, had old-world charm. My room had a small window with a view of the Gulf. Bed linens and toiletries were luxurious. If you are parking your own car, be aware that the garage is a block away. Not really a problem. The one fault was with the room's functionality. It was simply not at all functional. The only dresser did not have drawers large enough to hold clothing; there were only two, and they were only 2 or 3 inches high. Because this dresser/computer desk was located at the end of the bed, the chair wouldn't fit in front of the pull-out computer shelf; it had to be moved from the built-in shelf that held the coffeemaker, which was located across the room, whenever I wanted to use my computer. Not a great distance away, as the entire room, including bathroom was only 300 sq. feet, but a nuisance. The television was located on top of the dresser and faced the bed. It could only be seen while in bed; the only upholstered chair was around a corner and back 6 or 7 feet. So, although the room had everything for a comfortable stay, the layout just didn't work for all functional purposes.

Despite it all, I did appreciate the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the room. The location was great for access to local restaurants and the beach. However, I don't think I'd stay here again due to the functionality issues.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business