“Excellent Customer Service!!! Gorgeous historic hotel!!!”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Customer Service!!! Gorgeous historic hotel!!!”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We arrived along with our impatient 2-year old to Galveston after a long drive from Dallas, only to find that the Ocean-view room that we’ve confirmed and re-confirmed 3 times within the previous 2 days is no longer available! Now, my little one still takes 2 hour naps every afternoon, thus the prospect of being stuck in a room with no view, was extremely unappealing! Granted, it was 4th of July weekend and we came in at 5pm, which is 1 hr after check-in. After a short discussion with the person at the front desk, he proceeded to call in the guest services manager who deeply apologized and offered to show us 2 rooms to select from. She also mentioned a considerable discount on the hotel stay and anything else we would like, such as the …brunch at Bernard’s?? :) Now, I was beginning to relax. We chose one of the rooms, and headed out to the pool. Once we came back, a written letter stating what we discussed along with a time for the brunch reservation was under the door. On top of the table there was a bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries to kick off the celebration of my birthday weekend. The manager also came by to check that everything was according to our liking and introduced the next manager on shift, in case we had any other questions or concerns. I was impressed. LOVE LOVE LOVE, the Galvez. It truly is the classy Queen of the South that it claims to be. Thank you all for a beautifully spend weekend!!! :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank oceanbeachsun4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
USA
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This is a well maintained property with excellent service and ameneties. The exterior and common areas take you back in time. Yet the rooms are modern, large, and well equipped. Best hotel fitness facility ever. Be sure to take advantage of the complimentary beach bikes to check out the town. This is a great hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Gulf!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reddogsrule
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I wanted to get away for a few days with my family (including our 3-year old) and picked Galveston as our destination since we've never been and wanted to check out the scene. After much online searching I picked Hotel Galvez due to location, recent renovations, and historic perspective. I stayed for 2 nights just before the July 4 rush.

Pros: The hotel is very nice, with the recent renovations really shining throughout. We had a parlor suite which had a separate sitting area with a pull-out sofa that was perfect as a 2nd room for the toddler. This was recommended to us when we made the reservation and it was absolutely the best arrangement short of a 2-room suite. The location is awesome, with a very nice beach just across the street (heard the city recently restored the beaches), and everything is very accessible by car. The hotel did have bikes for use as well. We ate breakfast there, which is pricy for what you get, but we had one meal free (see below), so it worked out. Also, we got a great discount for being a Costco member!

Cons: We had several problems with service.
1) Biggest issue was with the pull out sofa. We requested that it be set up (sheets, etc.) when we checked in. Then we requested it again at the front desk after we got back from dinner. Then called down when no one showed up. When they finally showed up, they brought towels, not sheets, and had to come back 10 minutes later.
2) When I made the reservation I requested a fridge be added. When we arrived we found out the fridge would have to be added after we checked in, which was ok. However it never showed up. We had to contact guest services twice to have it delivered. On the plus side, we weren't charged for it (normally $20 per stay for the fridge). So it worked out.
3) Room wasn't ready until after 5, but due to the delay we got a free meal at the restaurant. So that worked out too.
4) Room was right next to the elevator, and you could hear the elevator ding. Luckily my kid sleeps through anything, and we didn't hear it from the main bedroom. Though sounds do travel through the building (slamming doors, etc.). Not a huge problem, as we didn't have any problems after we went to sleep.

So would I stay again or recommend it to a friend? Yes. I attribute most of the service issues to guest services, but even those aren't severe, and they did try to make things right.

Room Tip: Call directly and ask for the best price.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2011

For all of the accolades and services this hotel claims, I found it very lacking in details. Housekeeping was a joke. They did not restock anything unless it was so obvously needed. After our second night I noticed that someone must have had a bloody nose who stayed in our room prevously because there was a couple of drops of blood on the comforter that were clearly old. The poolside food service screwed up and brought us the wrong order and then basically told us "Too bad we brought it you are paying for it". I told the desk about it and they said they would take the charge off and did not. It was on our bill at check out and I had to go back a second time and ask for it to be removed. I do know my next trip to Galveston will not include the hotel Galvez.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DukerG
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Thank you for your review. I apologize that our housekeeping service was not what it should have been. I understand first class cleanliness is an expectation of all of our guests and we use your comments to improve. Sorry about the misunderstanding at the pool but glad we were able to correct it before you left.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed here with my wife last weekend. We had a great time. As everybody knows, the beach at Galveston is not the best but the location of the Galvez was great - close to bars and restaurants and right across the street from the beach. They have free bike rentals there so we just rode our bikes up and down the seawall so we could burn the calories we drank while lounging at the Galvez's swim up bar.

My only complaints is that there were a lot of kids splashing around the pool - the kids have a right to be there of course we were just having a getaway from OUR kids so it was not as relaxing but I don't believe there is a 'couples' resort on the Island.

The other annoying thing was that at the pool bar they made you sign and pay for every order individually. For some reason they would not allow you to run a tab. It got annoying.

All in all, I don't think you can beat the Galvez for Galveston unless you rent a private beach house. We'll come back.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Friendswood, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Everything downstairs is wonderful. The lobby makes you feel like you're traveling back in time. The pool makes you feel like you're in the Bahamas. Everybody, Valets,front desk, bartenders were extemely nice. Upstairs, our room felt like La Quinta. Not fussing about size, just cheaply designed. Boring color, tacky picture,plastic ceiling. Bathroom has a counter, no place to put your stuff, thin shower curtain attacks you, and tiny blowdryer matches tiny coffeemaker. The maids cleaned the rooms quickly, but we did have to keep asking for more coffee packs, cups, towels, ice bucket liners AND TOILET PAPER. Suggest a shelf in bathroom. Curved shower curtain rod. Deeper, richer paint color, maybe B&W photo of old Galveston for art work. I live down here, when I have friends down I want them to experience the history. Very close to being a true Queen, right now just Miss Congeniality!

Room Tip: Just Ask!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank kathale
Thank you for your review. Glad to hear our service staff and pool made your stay enjoyable. Sorry you didn't like the room decor. All our rooms have recently been renovated and are the freshest on the island.
seattle
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The Hotel is a lovely historic hotel. The pool area is not huge but very nice with a wonderful salt water pool. Our room was small but well appointed, good quality linens and very clean. The bell staff couldn't have been nicer. Unfortunately not all was perfect at the Hotel Galvez. The problem was the restaurant. After being seated for dinner (the restaurant was perhaps half full) some strange confusion ensued with who our waiter was. Its too confusing and convoluted to explain in detail here. After that was sorted out, an hour passed before we got our appetizer. This is after we had finally tracked down our waiter. Another 40 minutes or so passed before we finally got our entries. Ironically as I was getting up to leave. Our entries were a sandwich and a salad. The waiter apologized and told it took so long because they had to make the salad dressing. Really? My chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries were stone cold and the fries were hard they had been sitting for so long. The next morning we tried to have breakfast and after standing at the Hostess desk for 10 minutes with other guests in front of us who had been waiting longer we gave up (there was plenty of open tables and no one came to see to us.) When we left I told the front desk of our difficulties getting food and they said they were in the process of trying out interns for the summer. What? I really did love the hotel, but a large scale operation owned by a huge chain like Wyndham should be able to provide their guests with food. I really want to say I'll return, but the restaurant mess left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bluemoon333
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
Thanks for your review. I am sorry your restaurant experience was not what it should have been. Since you stayed in April and just posted this review in late June it is rather hard to address your concerns but please know I read them all and use our guest comments to improve our service.