“Could be better”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Could be better”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nice and located perfectly on the beach. Nice room and wonderful staff.

The elevators are positioned weird and you have to stand in the middle of the hall to make sure you don't miss one.

The horrible. The restaurant was pathetic. We wait for over an hour on breakfast after we ordered. The waitress was the worst I have encountered. She never told us why we or the other two tables why it was taking for ever and never offered refills on drinks.

Would have been a 4 star review but the horrible restaurant experience to on away 2 stars.

I will stay again but will not use that pathetic excuse for a restaurant.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Steven T, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hello Mrjagerbomb,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your honest feedback and I'll share your concerns about your restaurant service with our Food and Beverage Manager. It is only through constructive feedback, such as yours, that we continually improve our experience for all of our guests. We hope you will take the opportunity to visit us in the future if your travels return you to Galveston Island

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I made a previous (bad) review of this hotel when it was under the old management. They have gotten the place right again. The front desk staff went out of their way to find my family and I a room facing east. (The last one available) They also had the crib I requested already in the room waiting. The rooms now have refrigerators in all of them. Beds are great. Bathrooms are bright, well stocked and clean. Amazing central location on the island directly in front of the beach, The Pleasure Pier, and Murdochs.
My only complaints were the loud air conditioner (noticed many other guests mentioned as well), and the shades on the windows that do NOT block out the sun which happens to reflect off the sea and blasts it into your room at the crack of dawn. If they can get those things right, then 5 stars! Haha

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have an ocean view! The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello Kosmogurlkt,

I want to first thank you for giving us a second chance after your last stay. My team and I appreciate such positive feedback especially from experienced reviewers. I hope that if your travels return you to Galveston, you’ll consider being our guest again.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights in July, two adults and two kids. I will note pros and cons for you:

Pros: The beds are comfortable. There is a frig in the room. The tv worked pretty good. The view from the 5th floor was nice. There is free coffee in the lobby in the a.m. We didn't hear any noise from any other room. The pool was decent with plenty of chairs and towels.

Cons: The first night, the a/c was on automatic where the fan kicked on and off all night - what a restless, terrible night!! The next day, I realized you can set the fan to the "on" position where it doesn't kick off and on, better night's rest the next night. However, the unit is still very clanky and makes noises all night long. Our room was fairly clean, but there was some old stuck on food, crumbs, and hair on the desks/countertops. There is no safe to store valuables. There is very little room to walk between the bed and desk/dresser. The bathroom is the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel, only the length of the bathtub, with very little counter space. The elevators do not have a/c! I find this so odd. It is so hot inside! The last thing, which I don't think the hotel can help, but be aware of your belongings and surroundings. We were approached twice at our car in the parking lot by shady characters wanting money. My son and I were approached in front of Pleasure Pier by a very scary guy, too. Walk in groups, and stay aware of who is around you.

I hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Steven T, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hello Carla M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and share your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear about your A/C troubles, that unfortunately has been an ongoing issue with some of our rooms. My maintenance staff is working hard to resolve these issues the best they can.

I'll also pass along the message to my housekeeping staff to make sure they thoroughly clean all rooms before they leave.

I hope when your travels take you back to Galveston Island that you stay with us again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We chose this hotel for a family reunion in Galveston. The room features that we chose from the website wound up not existing at the hotel. I had booked a suite with a pullout that would accommodate our 9 y/o son, and provide a living room for family gatherings, and a balcony. This facility doesn't have this room. We got king sized bed and a balcony ... but nothing close to what we planned for our family. Plus - we were charged based on the premium's expectations. There wasn't a roll-away or air mattress available until the 3rd night of our stay - resulting in our son having to squish in with us. When the roll-away finally arrived, he endured numerous bug bites and we had it removed immediately. The restaurant was usually out of many menu items. Service folks were extremely gracious - but everything was extremely slow and they were at a clear disadvantage in repeatedly having to deliver bad news. Due to the loss of a seating area in our room, we spent quite a bit of time in the bar area. Bill and Jackie were terrific, and a special shout-out for Jermaine in the restaurant for so effectively managing my 82 y/o dad. We made the best of the situation ... but the hotel was definitely not the highlight of our stay. There are some hard-working well-meaning employees ... but there are some serious management short-comings at this property.

Room Tip: Spring for the big bucks and go the El Galvez.
Green Features: They didn't get it. The Green tag hung out simply resulted in the room not being cleaned.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Steven T, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear K8HnCrew,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your stay here at the Four Points. I sincerely apologize for the service issues you encountered in the restaurant. I will share your feedback with our food and beverage manager to make sure these issues are taken care of. I'll also pass along the great comments to Jackie, Jermaine and Bill.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We arrived at 4PM on a family vacation, with 4 rooms booked together. 3 of the rooms were ready, but ours wasn't. So we waited. For two hours we waited, with our luggage in the hallway outside our room, for the first hour no one came to the room to do any work. It wasn't until we complained again that people finally started coming into the room to clean. Finally, at 6PM we were allowed into our room. The room itself is nice, we had the suite on the 5th floor. Great view, AC worked, nice fridge and microwave. The bathroom however is horrible. The toilet is in its own closet type room, with NO VENTILATION. So everytime you go to the bathroom, its like you're sitting in a sauna. The bed was comfortable enough, pillows decent.... but our kids weren't a fan of the beatdown pullout couch they slept on. We ventured down for breakfast our first morning only to be utterly disappointed in all facets of that experience. The server took 20 minutes to get us drinks, asked asinine questions about our drink order, brought our food to the wrong table initially, then it took 30 minutes to get one plate of food out that was forgotten. The pancakes were possibly the worst food item I have ever eaten in any restaurant. 100% inedible. We gave up on eating there after that and didn't bother with the restaurant again.
I found an empty beer can underneath our bed the following day, and placed it on top of the cabinets in the dining room area, where it sat for the following two days and went untouched by housekeeping. I did like the spray off area outside the main entrance, but some more signage would have been nice to let us know about it the first time we came in from the beach. This is a newer hotel for Galveston, but it is already showing signs of falling apart.

Room Tip: Get one of the 3 suites, or the junior suites with a balcony.
Hi aerainier,

Thank you for staying with us during your most recent trip to Galveston Island. We really do appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear about your incidents and services received during your stay. Please know that we are working hard to ensure everyone has a 100% worry free stay at our hotel. I do apologize again deeply and hope you have a great rest of summer.

Tyler Ruby
Reviewed 21 July 2014

we checked in during our check in time, they booked us in a tiny room on the first floor right beside the pool, with two toddlers this was horrible with the noise since the kids could not go to sleep!!! I asked to be moved away from the pool due to my children not being able to sleep and they told me I would just have to wait until the next day. The air was not working in the hallways or the main lobby area, it was like a sauna the minute you walked out of the room. Their page says that you receive complimentary bottled water, you actually only get one then you have to pay if you want more! Our room never was cleaned while we were on the first floor, and i had to ask for additional towels, which there were none clean in the whole hotel so I had to wait for them to finish drying. Once we got moved to the upper floor there was blood smeared on the bathroom light switch and the beds were very uncomfortable. NOT a kid friendly hotel! The only thing good about it is that it is located in the central of everything, so we tried to stay gone most of the time. We actually checked out a day early even though it was paid for, just so we could get out of there!

Room Tip: Don't stay... the air does not work very well at all!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Steven T, General Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi Samantha S,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent trip to Galveston Island. I do personally apologize for the lack of service you received during your stay. Please know that we are working hard in housekeeping to eliminate this problem from occurring. Also, know that we have taken the appropriate matters into hand regarding the a/c unit, I do know it can get hot. Again, I am sorry for the problems you experienced during your stay and hope one day you can return to our hotel.

Steven T
san diego
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location was good and the rooms were clean. We stayed there before and after an RC cruise out of Galveston. Ate at the cafe one of the mornings we were there and the food was not good and was over priced and the service was very slow. Overall I would say its an average place to stay, but have stayed in better/nicer Four Points.

1 Thank momofkkidsSanDiego
Hi momofkkidsSanDiego,

Thank you for choosing us during your cruise out of Galveston Island. I am disappointed to read your comments and hope to know I will personally be working with our restaurant team to make any changes. I do hope that on your next cruise we will see you again.

Steven T