“It's own Oasis in Galveston”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Worth, Texas
“It's own Oasis in Galveston”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

A very nice resort close but not right on the gulf. An aquarium on the grounds & waterpark next door make it a family destination. A convention was here and the one bar was understaffed to handle the large crowd. Resort is very spread out so a lot of walking.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Great place to visit great affordable food great entertainment.

• Stayed December 2011
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I have quite a history with this hotel having put on company Christmas parties there for several years in a row. The corporate sales staff is wonderful to work with (especially Kim Connor). My son and his new wife chose Moody Gardens for their wedding ceremony and their reception. It was a small affair with only 30 guests, but we were treated beautifully and were given first class accomodations for extremely reasonable rates and the rate included late check-out for every wedding guest, since the wedding was a daytime wedding and everyone left afterward. So, none of the rooms were vacated until 3pm or later. The hotel was very cooperative with us on that front.

But, the spa.....aaahhhh. Honestly, as a certified spa junkie, I have to say this spa is in my top two in the world. Their relaxation room...well...I would check in there and stay rather than their normal hotel rooms. If you make it to the Gardens...don't miss the spa here.

After having stayed at this hotel no less than 10 times over the past few years, this time I ended up in a jacuzzi suite. I didn't even know they existed. But, I certainly enjoyed relaxing in my private jacuzzi before bed...alone. Even alone it was very nice! The bride and groom had a suite on the 9th floor which was perfect for getting ready before the ceremony..and for pictures. Really nice.

Room Tip: ask for a jacuzzi suite!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We got a living social deal (2 night room, 2 day unlimited attraction tickets for Moody Gardens) so we went for the weekend. It was a little hard to find at first, we ended up in front of the convention center, then the ballroom, but we made it after just a bit. The front desk was pretty nice (with one exception) and the bellhops were very nice. There were plenty of elevators, we never had to wait for one. It was a comfortable room, 2 queens, fridge, kerug coffee maker, regular stuff. We did not have a microwave, but there was a public one in the laundry area that we could use. The hot water and the water pressure were really good, just be careful with little ones. Room service staff was very nice, but the food was average for price. We thought the fruit plate was a good deal, though! Lots of variety and sorbet. Location is great, you just walk to the pyramids and then back to the room when you want. All in all, a very nice weekend vacation.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Hotel is very nice. Staff is very friendly and polite. The pool is beautiful Rooms have a small frig and a microwave. The towels are wonderful big lucious oversized white cotton. Rooms have two nice robes and the bed was very comfortable. We also had a Keurig coffeepot in the room with the Keurig Kcups. Very Nice. We were in room 403 and it had a balcony overlooking the pool with table and two chairs. We had breakfast on the balcony in January. Galveston is looking great. the water park at Moody looked wonderful but we did not get to try it out in January. Hotel is 3/4 mile from beach so we drove to beach and had a wonderful walk.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let me know how your stay was with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us. The Keurig coffeepots are relevantly new but we have been receiving great feedabck to the new addition. We hope to see you again in May when Palm Beach re-opens.
Houston, TX
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent our 33rd wedding anniversary at the hotel while attending the Festival of Lights. The Hotel and the Terrace Restaurant were wonderful. We got the package with the Festival of Lights and had a great time walking and looking at all the lights, listening to the music and sounds of Christmas and the roasting of Smores around an open fire pit was a great end to a wonderful evening. When I requested a room with a roll-in shower they did not hesitate to make sure that I was accommodated. We plan on going back to the hotel again this Spring and Summer to enjoy the pyramids and many activities in Galveston.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Happy 33rd wedding anniversary! We are honored you chose to celebrate your special event with us. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Roasting S'Mores is one of the most popular activities here at Moody Gardens. During the summer we actually do this daily! We hope you will visit again soon, thank you so much for your feedback.
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Moody Gardens Hotel and Spa. I was there for a business meeting and my husband joined me for an extended weekend. During those few days I had the opportunity to eat at Shearn's restaurant (with it's beautiful view), The Terrace restaurant and visit the Lobby Bar. The food at both restaurants as well as the conference meals we were served were very good. My expectations for meals are never high when attending meetings but I was very pleasantly surprised at The Moody!

The staff was professional and attentive. There was an error in my reservation when I checked in. The last night of my reservation was not in the computer (even though I called to confirm it prior to arrival). The desk clerk worked diligently to find me a room for the last night. It took a few minutes but she never lost her cool or her professionalism. In fact, I think she went above and beyond to make sure I had a room and to ensure that I wouldn't have to change rooms during my stay. The room was very clean and well appointed. I had a lovely view of the pyramids and the pool.

I also had the opportunity to take in some of the attractions. I toured the Rain-forest Pyramid. It was very nice....not the best I've ever seen but well kept and interesting. I did not go to the aquarium however, some of my colleagues did and said that the aquarium had a bad smell. Finally, my husband and I enjoyed the spa services. We had a very nice couples package that included a massage, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. The spa area was very nice and our masseuses were outstanding. The only complaint I had was that the couples area was across the hall from the main spa so we had to walk out in the common area in our robes. We were told that they were adding a couples suite to the main spa area so hopefully this will be resolved soon.

It was early December when I was there so not much was going on outside, nor were there many families there. They were busy decorating for Christmas. From what I saw of the preparations I would love to go back and see all of the holiday glory! With the variety of activities available, I'm sure the place would be buzzing with people.

Room Tip: As for a room that looks out over the pyramids.... beautiful view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef, Urs Schmid. He has been with us since the beginning and has a great passion for cooking. In the next couple of months we will start our multi-million dollar renovation of the hotel including the spa. We have some great ideas for improving the couple suite. Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.