“Maybe too big for their managment?”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Tampa, Florida
“Maybe too big for their managment?”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I left the water park to check-in. It was minutes before 4PM and she informed me check in wasn't until 4PM. I said I could wait two mintues - and she said she would see if anything was available - like 2 minutes was a big sacrifice.

So I get the room keys and head back to the water park. A few hours later we head right to our room - and it was disgusting. Clumps of hair in the shower, globs of shower cream gel all over the floor and the entire counter is spotted and dirty. The carpet was covered in grass - and the culpret - grass covered hiking boots still in the closet. Obviously no cleaning had been done - they just changed out the toiletries and "hopefully!!" the sheets and moved on. I called and got moved to a new room - but still, if that is the staff they hire then they need to rethink things. So far check-in was rude and housekeeping non-existing.

All in all it was not a very welcoming place to stay and seems to lack the management to control what goes on. We only stayed there because it was next to the water park. Next time I'd pick something better. When I called I asked to talk to a manager - instead the gave me housekeeping. I was calling to complain about housekeeping - not talk to them! Never did hear from managment. I guess disgusting rooms are low on their list of concerns.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that was actually cleaned.
2 Thank T V
, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for bringing to my attention the circumstances regarding your stay with us. I was truly embarrassed over the series of service lapses during your visit with us and, on behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies.

There was no valid excuse for being checked into a dirty room and the front desk agent not showing true Galveston hospitality. I can certainly understand your frustration. Please be assured we take these comments seriously. I have personally talked with the Front Desk Managers in their lack of response and the housekeeping staff concerning your feedback. Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated. We hope that you give us a second chance for us to show how we can deliver great service and leave postive memories.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Thai first
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The hotel was very nice, comfortable and had very easy driving access to the island.
Everything was within walking distance rain forest, IMax, Schlitterbaum, even the ball park. The food was very good. The bar had a great bartender. The swimming pool with swim up bar was great fun for everyone. The beds were very comfortable, room service very fast. We will be returning.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
It's so nice to know your Moody Gardens Hotel stay was a "Great Get Away". That is one of the nice things about our location ~ we are close to everything. . . .Rainforest, Palm Beach, Aquarium and Schlitterbahn. We look forward to your return!
Germany
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We spent 3 nights here in June 2012 for our son's reward for good school grades. The location is great - 1/2 mile from the beach and 100 yards from a great water park. The hotel offers free entry into another small water park and has a very nice pool. The staff, minus the front desk were nice as well. The hotel was clean and offered a great military discount. However, their front desk and check in were terrible. We had a 4 oclock check in, but by 5:30 we still did not have a room along with 50 others. When I asked if there was another hotel, a clerk stated they would charge me anyway - not the service you expect for 200 a night. After chewing on the manager, Kyle apologized and finally got us in a room. However, the walls are thin and we had to call security to get neighbors to calm down after midnight. Seems the average person coming here is amazed with a pretty hotel and does not expect good service. We are used to good service and this did not live up to a Hilton or Radison - let alone a 4 star.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Congratulations to your son on his good grades. We are happy your family chose to be with us for your family time. Moody Gardens Hotel room rates do include Palm Beach which features the Lazy River, a wave pool, tower slides, splashpad and much much more. Please know we are very sorry we did not meet your expectations but happy to read Kyle took a not so good situation and made it right.
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We recently stayed 5 nights at this hotel and had a very nice time. There were lots to do on-site for our children (both under the age of 9). They loved going to Palm Beach (which is free for hotel guests). Beautiful hotel with lush landscaping. Lots of free parking if you aren't interested in valet parking ($18/night). Housekeeping was great and our room was very clean and roomy.

Room Tip: We ate twice at Olympia 21 on Pier 21 by the Strand, it was excellent!!! We also really loved the M...
1 Thank DaniDS
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
It is nice to read you had a "Great Stay" for 5 nights at our hotel. We offer lots of family fun and entertainment!! Palm Beach is a favorite of our visitors - you can build sandcastles, tube down the lazy river or tan yourself on a tropical white sandy beach covered with palm trees. The choice is yours so keep us in mind for your next vacation!!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We spend Memorial Weekend in this Hotel and we had a great experience.
Our 12 year old really enjoyed all the amenities. The staff was Outstanding!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for letting us know our staff was "outstanding" and that you had an excellent experience. We look forward to your families return.
El Campo, TX
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We just got home from 3 nights at the hotel and it was an overall nice stay. This is our 3rd time staying here. My husband has a work seminar/conference every year and this time we decided to stay an extra night to get some family time in. There are lots of activities for the kids, including a bounce house, a fun playground, pool, Palm Beach/Splash Pad (included in your stay at the hotel), and of course the pyramids all within walking distance.

The grounds are always well maintained. The landscaping is amazing and filled with gorgeous tropical plants. We always enjoy walking around the hotel and on the walking/jogging trail.

The rooms are just like your typical hotel room. Beds are comfy. I personally don't care what a room and the decor look like. We're there to sleep/relax and that's about it. I do have one pretty big complaint about the bathroom. It was not clean. There was lots of hair (head and other types) in the bath tub and the surrounding area. I'm not the normal customer and would rather do things on my own to be sure they are done right, so I cloroxed (YES! I brought my own Clorox juuust incase something wasn't clean haha) and scrubbed the tub and around it before I gave my son a bath. There was also dried tooth paste splattered on the counter around the sink. Come on housekeeping! Get with it.

Parking was simple this year. We decided to take advantage of the parking garage under the hotel and it saved our feet and kept our vehicle about 30 degrees cooler! :) The parking lots get filled very quickly with those visiting the pyramids and Palm Beach just for the day. Walking across the huge black-topped parking lot at 4:00 in the afternoon while carrying a little one can be rather difficult and uncomfortable when it's 95 degrees out. If you're staying here and not using the parking garage, I wouldn't suggest leaving the hotel once you're parked because finding a parking spot is sometimes impossible!

Palm Beach is insanely over-crowded on Saturdays. You can hardly walk through without getting bumped into. If you can wait, go during the week - it's much more enjoyable then.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Jenni7707
We are always pleased when folks tell us they had a "fun family time" at Moody Gardens. The landscaping you mentioned is nestled amongst thousands of exotic plants, roses, fragrant herbs, oleanders, palm trees and more. Thank you for bringing your housekeeping concerns to our attention ~ we shared your comments with our Housekeeping Director and appreciate you letting us know. We like to think of Moody Gardens as a vacation destination for all ages, so come back a 4th time and let us show you once again our southern hospitality!!
austin, texas
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I'm a little torn with this hotel. I have boys, ages 6 and 8. They loved the hotel. There were a lot of amenities. It was nice to be able to spend the middle of the day inside the Moody Garden pyramids/watch 3D movies and avoid the heat of the day. It was great having access to Palm Beach.

The negatives: There was a botch on the initial charges -- I saw this on check out and the ladies at check out were outstanding at clearing it up. There was a botch on the valet/bellman on check in. We were anxious to get started and were waiting for a luggage to come up. After waiting over 30 minutes, I went down to check on the luggage. It was still sitting right there by the door with 2 bellmen standing next to it. I asked about it and they said that the other bellman was still parking our car and that he would bring it up whenever he came back. I said that we actually needed our things now and just took it up myself (neither bellman ever offered to bring it up themselves). 3rd time of questionable service: The hours of the smores was from 5:30 - 7 p.m. A few minutes before 7, we were in the area and my 6 year old decided he wanted to make a smore. We went over to the table, the staff said -- no we're done for the day -- we'll be here tomorrow. I said, "But, we won't" Went back upstairs with a very disappointed 6 year old -- who couldn't understand why he couldn't make a smore -- saying, "but Mom, it's not even 7 o'clock yet." By the way, they don't have much of a system for making smores -- I've seen other hotels do this much better. There is one smore pit -- around a set of gas logs. There is one table in the area with a few chairs -- you can't really sit and talk and let the kids make the smores. Another thing: you have to have towel cards (one for each towel that you want at the pool). When I checked in they asked how many "pool cards" I wanted. I said 2 (one for hubby and one for me -- thought it was for access to the pool area). When I got upstairs I looked at it and realized that they were actually "towel cards". I needed 4 (because the kids need towels too). Knowing that I have 4 in my party -- it would seem that they would explain this better and save me another trip back downstairs to wait in line again. When I called about it, they told me to come down to pick up more whenever -- no offer to bring them up.

3 Thank texasmomAustin_Texas
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
While I was pleased to read the nice comments regarding the ladies at check out, I was especially concerned to hear about the challenges you encountered with the making of Smore's, the new pool towel card policy and the lack of hospitlaity from the bellman. On behalf of all our associates, please accept my most sincere apologies. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the finest in hospitality in Galveston. Please be assured that during each of the pre-shift meetings I have read your comments to our associates to let them know this is not acceptable. We recongize you have many choices to stay when visiting the island and hope you will give us another opportunity. We still have some wonderful activities planned for summer; movies on Thursday nights at Palm Beach and Fireworks on the weekends for Bands on the Sand.