Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the property on the 4th of July weekend. I returned to MG because we received such great service 2 years ago. Well they must be under new leadership because we did not get the 5 star service as we did 2 yrs ago. It started out great as we were greeted by the valet parking guys, checked in, each of my kids were welcomed with a nice drawstring pool bag. Our room was very clean, spacious, and up to date furniture and decor. My problem was the customer service in the restaraunt and in the gift shop. The hostes was chewing food as she seated us and told her coworker "um those people want their drinks" in a condescending tone. $15 per person for the brkfst buffet, not bad, kids ate free. Food was'nt all great. Everyone in the gift shop seemed like they did not want to be there. As we walked in, we were never greeted each time we visited. My wife needed baby wipes for our baby, she asked the girl and she just pointed behind here without looking up. She then asked if she could hold the package to see if the baby would be allergic to it. Frustrated, the girl gave it to her. I returned later that day and the girl was still there, I walked in to look around while she was painting her nails, never said hello to me, is there anything I can help you find- nothing. We ended up driving to CVS down the road instead of spending money there. The firework show was only 2-4 min. Would I return? Nah, I'm looking elsewhere for my next stay in Galveston. Moody Gardens is overpriced with poor guest services.

Hotel manager, if you're reading this, please train your staff to better serve your guests, especially on a holiday weekend. A genuine smile and a "Can I help you find anything sir?" -goes a long way.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Joelben79
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am disappointed to hear of your experiences with The Terrace restaurant and the gift shop. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. It is our overriding goal at Moody Gardens to provide great customer service and a pleasant stay for our guests. Please know that the issues that you mentioned definitely do not meet our standards of service. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the hotel management team so we may address accordingly. We hope you will consider staying with us again so we can meet your expectations and provide you with the customer service we are known for. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,547)

Reviewed 6 July 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to have a new renovated room during my last stay. The rooms are no longer green!! But tastefully decorated with soft tones and new furniture with stone tops. The bathroom was also new and very clean. We enjoyed are stay and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and our newly renovated rooms. It is great to hear that our loyal guests enjoy the new color scheme and renovations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We visited Moody Gardens Resort last weekend for two nights and brought my wife's parents who were in visiting from California. My mother in law booked the reservation through Hotwire.com, and specifically reserved it for 4 adults in the room. Hotwire promised comfortable accommodations for all guests. Since you don't know which hotel you will be reserved with until purchase, we didn't know which we would be put it. We also purchased the travel protection insurance via Hotwire (through Allianz).

Two days before leaving, I called Moody Gardens to confirm our reservation and was told that we were booked in a King room with one King bed for 4 adults. I insisted that the hotel find us a room with 2 queens, because the last time I checked, 4 adults can't fit in a King bed! The representative said I would need to contact Hotwire because they couldn't help me.

I called Hotwire. Pitiful excuse of a company. NEVER EVER GIVE THEM ONE RED CENT OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!! I explained to them our situation and that the hotel said to call them to arrange for comfortable accommodations for 4 adults. Hotwire responded by saying they will be happy to provide a roll away bed. I said no that will not suffice. We are not driving 6 hours only to sleep in a cot! I'd rather pitch a tent on the beach is what I told her. She finally put me on hold and called Moody directly to figure it out. 10 minutes later, she came back on to tell me again that the only thing the hotel could do is provide a roll away. I reasoned with her and asked her if she would drive 6 hours with her family who had come in from CA to sleep in a roll away at a 4 star resort?! She said yes. I said no you wouldn't!

Long story short, I realized we weren't getting anywhere with Hotwire. They lied and said they would provide comfortable accommodations for 4 people.

I called Moody back to try to talk to a manager. I finally got through to the Reservations Manager, Erin Hernandez. She was awesome. She knew all about our situation because Hotwire had talked to her. Turns out, Hotwire told us a lie. Erin explained that this happens often with Hotwire where they book people in rooms that they know won't accommodate them properly. Erin overrode the reservation and put us in a 2 queen room, and she saved our trip!

Once we got to Moody we liked it a lot. The room was very updated with granite counters in the bathroom, very clean, and a view of Schlitterbahn and the Gulf. We were in Room 744. Awesome views. It's about 1 mile from the Gulf, but you can still see it.

The water park is also included in the stay, which has a lazy river and wave pool etc. There's also a great separate pool with a swim up bar which was great.

Don't forget to visit the Rainforest Pyramid. We didn't get a chance to do the Aquarium Pyramid, but it looked great too. Also there's a riverboat in the sound you can take.

The one drawback was we could hear the people next door hollering one morning which was aggravating. There could be more done to soundproof the rooms.

All in all we recommend Moody...just book through them directly!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Schlitterbahn are a plus.
1  Thank Carolinashorty
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I was disappointed to hear about the difficulties you had with your Hotwire booking. I am pleased to hear that Erin was able to get you in a room that would allow all of you to sleep comfortably. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as the Rainforest Pyramid and Palm Beach. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I have shared them with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We just got back from a 3 night stay at Moody Gardens Hotel and we loved it. The service was excellent. We haven't been there in 3 years, and the rooms have been beautifully redecorated. The beds are comfy, and the bathroom is roomy. We have two 2 1/2 year olds and a 4 year old, and there is so much to do right on the property, they had loads of fun. We started out with riding the Colonel Paddlewheel and the Dino's Alive exhibit, moved on to Palm Beach and the Rainforest pyramid, then the aquarium pyramid, and a short trip up the seawall for a trip to the beach. Palm Beach has gone through extensive wonderful changes since we've been there last, and now has a lazy river where we spent most of our time. Breakfast buffet was delicious and free for the kids. This trip was everything we could have asked for. A very enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Houston019
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am so glad to hear your family had plenty of time to visit all of our attractions and that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and that you found the breakfast at the Terrace delicious, as well as a good value. We hope to see you again soon! Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is where my husband stays when he attends Shriners Hospital for Children meetings. This was my first time there. Clean rooms, attentive staff. Kim, our bartender at the lobby bar was very nice and helpful in suggesting places to eat. Breakfast buffet was good too. Had some friends there with their grandson, so we spent the day at their Palm Beach. Had a great time and will take my grandkids there next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank debdfwrealtor
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Moody Gardens and Palm Beach. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I have shared them with all of our associates. We have many fun activities this summer so please keep us in mind for a return trip with the grandkids! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and two girls (8 and 12) were looking for a road trip to the coast (as we call it here in Texas) but to some place that wasn't so beach, so sandy, hot and well (if you've seen most Texas beaches), so gross. We wanted a water park close by, great pool with a bar, spa, on-site food and located away from the beach crowd.

This place was the answer to all our wishes!

Check-in was a snap where we were issued our passes to Moody's Palm Beach (a mini-beach/pool/slide area with a live band and concessions). It was nice but crowded with locals who pay like $10 to get in.

The room was immaculate, cold (as in killer a/c) and the beds were so comfy. The kids of course had to turn on the TV and low and behold, an HDTV that actually was fed an HD signal. Rooms were great and each day refurbished by an attentive cleaning staff.

The main pool has a nice bar on one end with HDTV and we watched both the NHL and NBA finals on alternating nights while sipping on cool drinks. The kids made friends (as in there were kids of all ages) and they also checked out the karaoke in an outdoor stage area adjacent to the pool. There's a ice cream parlor hidden near the pool adjacent to the indoor lap pool serving Texas'finest Blue Bell ice cream. KIDS LOVED IT!

Each morning we had breakfast buffet in the dinning room with a good selection of fruits, pastries, hot and cold standards, eggs, had browns biscuits and gravy, french toast, oatmeal (seriously good oatmeal) and grits, meats, juices galore, good, consistent, convenient and just right without having to haul the family in the car to who knows where each morning. We had some lunch and dinner items too and all were great value for the price and convenience.

Schliiterbahn, (ranked one of the top waterparks on the travel type channels) is located across the street approximately 150 yards walking to the entrance. A separate review in itself, in short, it's a wonderful, "hottest coolest time in Texas: as their slogan goes. (we went two days which is enough!)

The hotel is about 40 minutes from NASA, and we went there and back for some seafood in town with plenty of time to hang at the pool all evening.

Everything was just wonderful, no hitches, irritations and everyone, including fellow customers were so friendly, unpretentious, comfortable, (but then my wife suspects that's because we're in Texas with mostly Texas/Louisiana clientele. No offense, just sayin')

And by the way, there's a cool (as in not out in the Texas heat) parking lot under Hotel too so your car can stay in the shade.

There's one thing they need to improve and that's internet wireless coverage. It was very weak and spotty throughout with exception of the lobby and convention area. It wasn't a detraction for us as we were on vacation and being unplugged isn't all that bad.

We're going back for sure! Absolutely looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Get the Moody Gardens Pyramid view. You'll have a good view of the beautiful Hotel grounds, the...
2  Thank pjhorns
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Thank you for the comments regarding your stay. I am pleased to hear that you and your family found Moody Gardens to be ideal for your Texas road trip. The Terrace Restaurant’s relaxing atmosphere, menu and kids eat free special, make it a guest favorite. Your feedback is appreciated and I have passed it on to our entire staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for one night vacation from Houston. It's a bit pricey but we thought we just gave the hotel a try since we planned toa pend our days in moody gardens. The room is nicely decorated in greeen and turqois hues. The room seevice is pretty fast eventhough the food is average. Moody gardens and palm beach are in walking distance. Beach is only a short trip a way. The pool is awesome. Major regrets is I don't have time to try the spa.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Palm Beach is a guest favorite, guests enjoy basking in the sun on Galveston's only white sand beach, complete with wave pool, lazy river, tower slides and splash pads. An added treat for our guests is that entrance to Palm Beach is included with your hotel stay. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back soon and that when you return, you have time enjoy our newly renovated spa. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager