“TheBest Family oriented Hotel in Galveston by far” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Austin, Texas, United States
“TheBest Family oriented Hotel in Galveston by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stay at the Moody Hotel 3 or 4 times each year. If you want enough activities to keep both adult and children entertained this is the place. I have stayed at most of the big hotels in Galveston, Moody is awsome with the covered parking free, In the hot summer sun it is really nice to get to your car without trekking across a scorching parking lot. We will be back at the Moody early September and I can hardly wait.It has a super pool with swim up bar and hot tub right against thr pool. You will like the Moody. Hey be sure to do the Breakfast Buffet, I think it was only $12 and well worth it.

Room Tip: High up rooms, choose the pool view, beautiful view at night. If you like to have easy access to the...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear george646,

Thank you for your review and continued loyalty. We will continue to work hard to ensure your satisfaction and comfort. The Breakfast Buffet in our Terrace restaurant is a great value, an added benefit is the kid’s breakfast buffet is only $1. We look forward to welcoming you back in September.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I recently stayed four days in a newly renovated Junior Suite at Moody Gardens.. and only wished it was longer!! The fresh new decor of greens and turquoises, and white fluffy bed linens, reminded me a Caribbean vacation and turquoise water.. soo soothing and relaxing! Must say if the attractions, pool and spa at Moody Gardens weren't so amazing I would have enjoyed lounging in the room all afternoon & evening! Loved it!! On a practical note, a family of 4-6 could stay quite comfortably as the two separate queen size sofas make into beds. One of the queen size sofa/beds can be divided from the room by a pull drape to ensure complete privacy between the two areas, and it has its own flat screen television! This proved to be the perfect situation when I had a friend come join me for a couple of days and my early mornings allowed her to sleep in undisturbed. Trip was for business & visit with friends. Can't wait for a return visit!!

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor facing the pyramids and pool.. although the pool was full.. there weren...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear LuxeTravelerWannaB

Thank you for leaving such a nice review. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your recent stay at Moody Gardens and that you found our new decor to be soothing and relaxing. The Junior Suite you stayed in is a new room type and is fast becoming a guest favorite. Your feedback is appreciated and has been shared with our staff. It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I had a great weekend at Moody Gardens Hotel and was lucky enough to stay in one of the newly renovated junior suites. What a great room with a balcony overlooking the pool and attractions. After a great dinner, we were able to sit on the balcony and watch the fireworks over the bay. The rooms are very spacious with a king bed and two sleeper sofas. With 2 large screen TV's and complimentary wifi there is plenty for everyone to do. Was up early for a swim before heading to the spa, and what a treat! Nina provided the best massage i've had in a long time. The spa has a relaxation area where you are covered in a warm sheet, provided with a nice cool bottle of water and the gentle sound of a fountain to extend the experience. I would highly recommend a visit. Next time, i'll make time for the attractions as well!

Room Tip: Newly renovated junior suites on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read you enjoyed one of our new Junior Suites and your visit to The Spa. I have passed your kind words about Nina on to our Spa Manager. It’s great hearing you plan on returning to visit all of our attractions. Your comments are appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Garvin O’Neil
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We took our 3 year old daughter down for her first trip to the beach and felt MG was a great family spot! We did get the 2 day package that allows you to explore all of the attractions and felt like it was a good deal. We spent 3 days there and did pretty much everything there was to offer at MG and only ventured off grounds a few times to go to the seawall (to see the actual ocean) and a few restaurants. The aquarium is one of the best of its' kind and Palm Beach was great - especially when you've got young kids and Schlitterbahn is a bit overkill for them. Beds were comfy, rooms were quiet - only complaint was the Terrace restaurants food wasn't that great for the price; HOWEVER, kids eat free and for my picky eater this was a plus, so it all balanced out!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your stay and had plenty of time to experience all that Moody Gardens has to offer. I was concerned to read about your concern about the food at The Terrace Restaurant and have forwarded it to the manager. Summer may almost be over but keep us in mind for weekend get aways in the fall and winter, we have all kinds of family friendly activities scheduled. Your comments are appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens soon.

Woodville, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed in a double queen room with my husband and two teenagers for four days during a convention I was part of. Initially the gentleman checking us in looked for an upgrade but the hotel was at capacity so he gave us a free pass to the Palm Beach area for our entire stay. This really started us off on a great note. The property is absolutely beautiful with a nice "resort" feel to it. Unfortunately customer service did not extend to the gentleman running the ticket counter at the front desk. My husband inquired about any type of discount for schlitterbaun and was told that it didn't contract with the hotel so there were none available. This is a little nutty since its across the street, but not the fault of the hotel so no big deal. The big deal was when I asked about any discounts for the Moody Garden attraction, I was told there were none. I explained we were spending four nights at the hotel, eating at the restaurants, etc, wasn't there anything he could do to help us. He dug around in his drawer and said, nope. I was then told it would be smarter for me to go online because there was an online discount that he couldn't give me. I then asked about the penguin experience and was told I had to purchase that in person over at the exhibit. This wasn't even true and if I had waited, instead of buying it online with my other tickets, they would have been sold out. This is just stupid. I don't expect anything for free but come on, I think I deserve more than $10.00 off for my $200.00 tickets (don't forget an additional $200.00 for the penguin experience). My husband also spoke with him, but again, totally unapologetic, a very "whatever" attitude. We were also totally ignored by the waitress at the pool. She walked by us several times and we were totally invisible to her. This was ok since we couldn't stay long since the only umbrellas had to be purchased and there was no other shade. We attempted to purchase an ice cream cone from the creamery, however the employees were a little more concerned about playing in the back than checking to see if customers were up front. The pool was pretty, but I just felt that there was more emphasis on making as much money as possible instead of looking to the needs of the guests. I do have to say that Linda, our housekeeper, was awesome. She greeted us by name and was just a hoot. The gentlemen that drove the shuttle buses were also very personable and helpful. The front desk and waitstaff could learn a few things from these individuals. All in all, it is very convenient to stay on property. The grounds are gorgeous and the rooms are large enough for four adults comfortably. Our girls loved the workout room and our room view was breathtaking. I probably won't stay here again because I like to feel as if I matter, here I was just one of the herd.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AmyRenee13
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Moody Gardens. While I was pleased to read you enjoyed Palm Beach and our housekeeping and transportation associates, I was disappointed to read of our shortcomings at the front desk and please accept my sincere apology. It sounds as if our ticket agent stumbled though some of our ticketing constraints and left you with a poor impression. As a non-profit complex, any price discounting for our attractions needs to be made available to all Galveston hotels. This is why we came up with the one and two-day pass programs which represents a substantial discount to individual ticket prices. Additionally, please know that Schlitterbahn is a separate company and does not offer any discounted tickets for hotels to sell in the summer. Palm Beach is the one Moody Gardens Attractions that is included as a part of the hotel stay. I also noted your feedback regarding the pool service and have followed up with our managers there. I am also looking at adding more umbrellas there. If I can be of service in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was our first time visiting Galveston, Tx. We were very disappointed with the area and felt that something needs to be done to bring the island to a higher caliber tourist destination. By far, Moody Gardens Hotel was the best to be found, however, it needs some major renovations in the main lobby and eating areas. It really looks like a 80's hotel- dusty peachy pink walls and lattice abound. The rooms were more updated, which made the central/social areas look worse. The food was nothing memorable either. The pool area and man made beach, as well as lazy river make this hotel fun for the kids, and the salvation for the adults. There are many other attractions on the hotel grounds, but not included in the stay. Be ready to pay extra for these!!
I recommend it if you are forced to stay in the area, since there are really no other acceptable hotels nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LorenaMas
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read you enjoyed Palm Beach and the pool. I was concerned over the feedback regarding need for updating our interiors. We agree and are in the middle of a $20 million dollar renovation that includes all guest rooms, restaurants and public areas. Over half of the guest rooms are complete and we expect to be fully updated by Memorial Day weekend 2014.

I did note your feedback regarding our destination and please note that effective last weekend, Galveston started paid parking on the Seawall and is taking those revenues to enhance the beach experience with restrooms, landscape and a beach re-nourishment project beginning next year. This year will be the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Ike and I believe our community has made tremendous progress in rebuilding our island. Thank you for choosing to stay at Moody Gardens. We would love to welcome you back in the summer of 2014 so you can experience the new renovations throughout the Hotel.

Katy, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We live in Dallas and wanted a getaway over 4th of July weekend for husband and I and our 2 children (6 and 10). Fortunately, we were booked in the updated tower. We had friends who were not in teh Main tower and they said their rooms were sorely in need of updates (chipped furniture, stained carpet, etc.). We have stayed at some very nice resort properties in and out of Texas and this does not come close. The pool was severely overcrowded, don't even think about getting lounge chairs. Staff was oblivious and mediocre. We went over to the beach area which had a lot of nice features (lazy river, splash areas for little ones and the man made beach), Again more overcrowded. For this part of the property, you don't even have to be a guest - you can just pay a fee. I realize that we were there over a holiday weekend, so my expectation is at least step up your service, provide more beach chairs, have more staff on hand, etc. There was a room on our floor that would leave out trays and trays of room service, empty pizza boxes and empty cases of beer. We would see this on our way out in the morning and when we returned later that afternoon, despite seeing employees on the floor. We had a ridiculous issue with our bill on check-out. My husband spent 30 minutes trying to correct it when it was their error. Overall, just not a resort-type, relaxing feel at all. We will not be back!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JandJMommy
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for your comments and please accept my most sincere apologies for what was a less than enjoyable stay. While we normally do a much better job and have plenty of space for sitting and lounging at our pool, I must admit we were at capacity over that weekend and our associates should have demonstrated a more guest centered attitude. Your commentary regarding the pizza boxes and beer bottles on the floor, please know that while the timing of the pick up may have lacked that day, however each afternoon we clear all trash, sweep and vacuum all guest room corridors. It does appear much of your disappointment with us was caused at check-out and I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you regarding this. Please email me at goneil@moodygardens.com and I will be happy to make contact with you. While we would understand your feelings to the contrary, please know that we would welcome the opportunity to win back your trust.