“Great place - if you have to be in Galveston”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Lovely, well-organized hotel - great staff, good spaces, great for meetings. Close to nothing other than theme park out the back door. Not close to interesting older parts of Galveston. Rooms and decor really nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear James P,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that Moody Gardens and our staff were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed at Moody Gardens with my wife on a get-away sports weekend. Our room had furniture that was quite grimy with very visible scuffing and marks. Furniture was dated. TV did not work. Bathroom fixtures not properly marked for hot/cold water. AC thermostat did not work. You had to have it set at 50 degrees to stay cool. Which I suspect is why the hotel had very heavy duvets on the bed. I woke up dripping in sweat because the AC would not keep the room cool at 70F setting.

Room Tip: Specify a newer updated room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear brad m,

Thank you for bringing to my attention the circumstances regarding your stay with us. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. We do take all comments serious and it was disturbing to read we did not perform up to your expectations and ours. I can see how these incidents impacted your visit; Moody Gardens Hotel is currently undergoing renovations. The décor is being updated throughout the entire hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence and leave a better lasting impression. If I can be of assistance in the future please contact me.

We hope to welcome you back so you can experience the new rooms and let us provide you with the excellent hospitality we are known for. I know by giving us a second chance we will be able to exceed your expectations.

Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Moody Gardens is beautiful. It has a lot to do on site, a good location and good amenities. But I recently tried to book my son's honeymoon there and they were horrible to deal with to get a reservation. I first called in late July and they wouldn't let me book a honeymoon package cause the rates weren't out for November when I wanted to book the trip. Then they said that they would call me when the new rates were out....but no call. I had to call back in late September and I couldn't put it on my credit card I had to do fill out paperwork fax documents and field phone calls. They were very difficult to work with. Pleasant enough just not customer friendly. I wanted to gift my son and his new bride a honeymoon and since my son was only able to take 5 days they wanted to stay close and go to Galveston. I hope me trying to plan something nice for them doesn't turn out to be terrible due to Moody Garden's difficulty to deal with....we will see.....I will update later!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear zimroo ,

Thank you for your very helpful feedback. I can see how the reservation process as you described left a poor impression and, on behalf of all of us, please accept my most sincere apologies. The delay in getting rates out was my fault and we have our current rates updated through August of 2014. I investigated the comments you made regarding the difficulty with the paperwork necessary with paying for your son’s stay. I looked at the policy again and checked with several hotels and resorts in our region. They all have the same requirements for a third party paying for a hotel stay for another guest. It is a precaution necessitated due to the large number of after-departure disputes with these type of transactions. We are, however looking forward to your son’s honeymoon visit to Moody Gardens and we will make sure he and his fiancée are well taken care of. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any special service to them and personally welcome them to Moody Gardens.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Wow. What a beautiful property. My room was so up to date and comfortable. I was there for ChemInnovations trade show, but would return on vacation. Staff was very nice and property was well tended. I look forward to returning!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan B

Dear Dan B,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your newly renovated room and found it to be comfortable. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

It's a little more expensive to stay at Moody Gardens, but the amenities are great and the location is hard to beat.
The service was good, but some details were not explained to us upon check-in (that there was free, underground parking) and that you should book any spa treatments a couple days in advance (same day or next day appointments were almost impossible to make). Our room was quiet and the bed was good, but a little saggy, and the temperature was easily controlled and comfortable. Everything was clean, but we did have one small cockroach in our room. We were given a discount for the inconvenience. There was interesting food at the restaurant, though the service was slow and the breakfast buffet was nothing special.
The spa service we had was good, but they forgot to tell us to show up early for the appointment, so we were somewhat rushed and less than relaxed.
The pool was nice, though kids were playing in the swim-up bar area. The hot tub was extremely hot. The deck chairs are not easy to get. The bar staff were very friendly and attentive.
The indoor lap pool was great, as was the fitness room and running track.
The on-property water park, rain forest garden, and aquarium were excellent.

Room Tip: The lower-cost room that we reserved was excellent. Our room did not overlook the parking lot, so i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elfudge42

Dear elfudge42,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am pleased to read you found our amenities and location great. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for the confusion with booking appointments at The Spa. I have forwarded your comment to the Spa and Front Desk Managers so we can find a solution to prevent the same thing from occurring in the future. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The location was superb and close to the Moody Gardens entertainment as well as other facilities. Although the price was a little higher than some other facilities the outstanding staff kept everyone happy and with plenty of supplies. A terrific stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank VegasHopper
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear VegasHopper,

We are delighted you chose to stay at Moody Gardens for your Sisters Vacation. I was pleased to read you had a terrific stay and found our staff to be outstanding and our location superb. I have passed your wonderful comments on to all of our staff. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens soon.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is a true destination when you come to Galveston. There is more to do in this one place than anywhere on the island. Staff was very accommodating from the valet to the room service. It was rainy when we arrived and the valet provided complimentary umbrellas for us to keep even after our stay. The outdoor pool is huge and fun. There is an indoor pool for when the weather is not cooperating. It would take too much to even start to describe the pyramids and all their features. We had the pyramid view room and it was spectacular! The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TXEyeGuy

Dear TXEyeGuy ,

Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found that there is no reason to leave the property to relax and have fun. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service, hospitality and accommodations. I have passed along your feedback to our entire staff. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.