“A great stay”

Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Boston
“A great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We ended our vacation in Galveston and stayed at the Moody Gardens. This property was great. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The grounds were beautiful. This property is off of the main seawall but is a short drive. Our only regret was that it was Bike weekend and we didn't get to enjoy Galveston as much as we would have liked due to places being over crowded. We spent more time in the hotel and enjoyed everything they had to offer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear 63impala,

Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found that there is no reason to leave the property to relax and have fun. I am sorry to hear that due to crowds on the Island you did not get to enjoy Galveston as much as you wanted to. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service, hospitality and accommodations. I have passed along your feedback to our entire staff. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Thai first
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We returned again to Moody Gardens Hotel for our yearly trip down to Galveston for the Lone Star Rally. Moody Gardens was more accommodating and biker-friendly than last year - Hotel did not appear to be crowded. Check in was very friendly and swift. Our room was ready and clean and had been refurbished since our visit last year - this year, we had a pyramid view on the 8th floor. Room was nicely finished, Bed slept very well, given the late night traffic, room was quiet. Moody Gardens rooms are still finished in pastels but updated. The in room sofa is a nice touch. The refinished rooms are now updated and we were treated better by the staff than last year (except for the parking lot attendant with bike issues on Saturday @5:00pm - stop giving him authority - it's gone to his head) All-in-all a pleasant stay. We eat in the Hotel restaurant - the food is ALWAYS consistently good.

Room Tip: Higher you go the better the view - go for the pyramid view if possible
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikesth
Dear mikesth,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Moody Gardens. The Lone Star Rally is a great event on the Island and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to read you found our newly renovated rooms nicely finished and our staff to be accommodating. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for any issues had with the parking attendant. I have forwarded your comment to the Guest Services Manager so we can find a solution to prevent the same thing from occurring in the future. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back for Lone Star Rally 2014.

Hurst, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Went here for an industry convention. Was very impressed with the facility and hotel. Currently undergoing remodel. We had a room that had already been done. Very nice! Good size bathroom. Convention facility was great! First class treatment! I would love to go back here in the summer for a weekend trip.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear TXleegr,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay at Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa and Convention Center. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your newly renovated room and convention experience. We hope to welcome you back this summer.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife and I are really trying to like this hotel, but we keep running into roadblocks every time we stay here. This is our third stay at Moody Gardens. We stayed here last almost a year ago to the weekend when the remodeling was getting under way.

Check in was smooth, even with a big wedding and the event we were there for. The bar area is nice. Our fault is not with the grounds or the other parts of the hotel, it is always our room!

We stayed in Rm. 819 on 10.12.13. This was a Saturday night. We were part of a group riding a two day 180 mile bike ride. We had been on our bikes for 100 miles pedaling from Baytown all day and were really looking forward to our room and a shower and some rest.

The room was clean and on first impressions everything looked great! I took the first shower while my wife was doing something else. The sink in the bathroom would not drain when pulling or pushing the drain release due to the fact it was not connected so if you wanted to drain the sink you had to pry the drain cap out of the drain itself and hold it in place till the sink drained. I had to do this numerous times and it became old very quick. No, we didn't call the front desk and complain because last year when we stayed we had maintenance guys in and out of the room all evening and they couldn't resolve last years problem so we did not want to go through that all over again. I did mention it to the front desk when I went back downstairs and they asked if I wanted to see a Manager and again said no because I did not want to go through all of this again like last year. This was not the same problem as last year. Things break I know, but come on and fix them before the next guest arrives.

The newly remodeled shower was already losing its finish in places and it made it look dirty and old with the contrast of new and run down. The shower dish for the soap and shampoo was not large enough to hold soap, shampoo, and conditioner at the same time. One or more of the items kept falling into the tub. It didn't seem well thought ou to me.

We asked the front desk if we could have a shuttle ride to a restaurant on the seawall like we did last year, but were told at first that the shuttles did not leave the property and then by another desk person that they were busy with a large group and could not. We may have been part of the large group, but were also a year earlier when Lubos gave us a ride to Gaidos Restaurant for dinner and then picked us up. For a property this size I would think they would have a van to help get guest to nearby attractions and restaurants unless they do not want you to leave there property. We were told they could call a taxi which they did and we paid the fare to and from the hotel. They do not exceed my expecations or even meet them.

The next morning we woke to get ready for the remaining 82 mile bike ride. We wanted to have coffe while we got dressed only to find the Keurig coffee maker would not brew. The power light came on, but it would not brew. No, we did not call the front desk on this either because we were in a hurry and by now were just wanting to leave. On the way out, my wife stopped and mentioned to the front desk about the coffe maker. An apology was given and we were directed to the Satrbucks around the corner from the front desk to purchase our own coffee instead of offering us coffee elsewhere that was complimentary since it was with the room had the Keurig worked.

We really want to like this place, but can't. I won a free night stay coupon and passes to attractions at the property that are good for a year due to my fundraisng efforts and we have a part of us that do not want to go back even if it's free. We want to have a good experience here without any issues and enjoy the whole stay, but are gunshy.

We travel alot and have stayed in other resort hotels and other hotels of varying levels of service and this is the only one that continues to disappoint us.

The bed was extremely comfortable even after the long ride that day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mccrazyone
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear mccrazyone,

Thank you for your review. I appreciated your comments both good and bad and, for those areas where we fell short, please accept my most sincere apologies. We are currently renovating the guest rooms and one of the check list items for each guest room when it is renovated is to do a full clearing of all sink and tub drains. Hotels have a unique set of plumbing issues and keeping drain lines clear is a continual task. While I can understand your frustration with our shuttles, a restaurant shuttle service is not a normal part of our services and we are happy to do so when we can.

We do want to win back your trust and would love to have you back. I understand your feeling “moody” and I would love to get you out of that mood. Please do not hesitate to call or email me personally.

Edmond, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed here as part of one of the packages for cruise parking. The room was nice and the staff at the hotel was friendly. Getting to the cruise terminal was no problem; everyone from the hotel was put onto 2 buses and our driver instructed us what to do upon return. When we got back the following week we had to wait an hour at the cruise terminal for more transportation. There were 2 buses boarding when we walked out, but they were already full. This surprised us since it only took 2 buses to get us there. When a van finally arrived that is when we found out that Moody Gardens also provides transportation for The Inn and the Waterpark (a motel nearby). The driver said, "oh you're my VIP's." Oh really? Then why did we have to wait an hour and then we were dropped off at Moody Gardens AFTER all of the other people in the van were taken to the motel. If you want to provide transportation for a nearby motel, fine. BUT, you should really have dedicated transportation for your hotel guests and the people who stayed at the motel (and probably paid a fraction of what the Moody Gardens room cost) can wait at the terminal!
I would have rated this hotel much higher if I had not had such an awful experience with the crusie parking. Another couple ended up taking a cab because they were tired of waiting for transportation from the terminal.
If you're just going to stay at the hotel then you'll probably have no issues.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle P
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear MichelleP

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues you had with the cruise transportation and our service. You certainly deserved better and please accept my sincere apologies for keeping you waiting like we did. We normally perform these services much more efficiently and I agree with you that our hotel guests should always get preferential treatment when it comes to pick-ups and drop-offs at the cruise terminal. I have shared your feedback with our guest services department and we believe we identified what went wrong that weekend and are confident going forward.

houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We just got back from an overnight stay at Moody Gardens hotel - our first time there. We were amazed by the size and very attractive decor of the rooms. So nice they come equipped with Keurig coffee makers! Also great is the pool and attached hot tub- beautiful and relaxing. We had drinks in the bar where we enjoyed the big screen and comfy chairs and joined friends for a delicious dinner in the hotel restaurant. Service was always with a smile. We will definitely return to this Galveston Island wonderland!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear cowboymomhouston,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that Moody Gardens and our staff were able to exceed your expectations. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the size and décor in our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was our third time to stay here in the last few years. This is a quality facility with lots of activity on the property. We were part of a private group that provided food etc. so I can not comment on the restaurants but the Bar is good with a nice atmosphere.
Rooms have been refurbished in the last year or so and were very nice as well as very clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear CareyJS ,

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and the activities available while staying at Moody Gardens. I hope you'll choose Moody Gardens the next time you want to get away for fun and relaxation. Keep us in mind this holiday season, when our annual Festival of Lights transforms Moody Gardens into a winter wonderland. In addition to the Festival of Lights, our Kid’s Crew has great Santa’s Workshop activities planned during the holidays. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.