“Great place to enjoy a holiday”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Plano, Texas
“Great place to enjoy a holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We had a great experience!! The front desk mucked up our initial reservation but promptly fixed the situation. Great customer service! Rooms are clean and not cramped. When we visited, the Festival of Lights was going on -- very pretty. We did think that it would have been more fun visiting the attractions during the summer because it was too cold to experience the fairly impressive water park they have on the grounds. All in all, great for a short family vacation!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear daniel C,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your stay, the comforts of the room and the Festival of Lights. I look forward to welcoming you back this summer.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Thai first
Ruston, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

It appeared upon arrival that the toilet in the restroom of our hotel room was cracked. The carpet seemed tattered, and the upholstery on the stuffed chair had been cut. My daughter remarked to me that the maid was making their king size bed with queen size sheets. I prefer to drink coffee in the morning out of a clean paper cup, upon arrival we had paper cups with the coffee maker, after we used them they were never replaced during our four night stay. I asked about them, but it was to no avail. If we go to to Galveston again, We had brought a gift, in a box, for one of our guests, the maid never threw it away, even after we put it on the trash can. I think we'll consider other hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Mike F,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay in December. I was concerned to read that the room was in the condition it was for your visit and I was also disappointed to read of our housekeeping performance. Please accept our most sincere apologies. The wing of the hotel in which you stayed is currently off line for renovation. There was no excuse for the condition of the room and have followed up with our Housekeeping department to review your feedback. We would like to win back your confidence and I am happy to visit with you personally.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We bought a family package for the Christmas dinner show and light festival, total shown on the website was $239. Two days later I got a call from them saying we cannot book family package because we only have one kid, and the price for the family package is now $259. We could have a couple package plus extra ticket for our kid -- total comes to $258. Well, I wouldn't mind paying 239and have an extra ticket, would I? But since they were nice on the phone and I was willing to forgive and I agreed to pay 258.
Then the Day after our stay, I noticed I got charged the $258 plus another $42. I called to ask why the extra charge, the rep cannot tell me anything about the extra charge--no idea what that was for at all. She then transferred me to their accounting dept, of course I got their voicemail. Called againand again, still only voice recordings. I have wasted too much time and effort dealing with them and am going to dispute the charge with my credit card. Very disappointing experience.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Julie – 114,

Thank you Julie for your very helpful feedback. We clearly dropped the ball on our package pricing module in December and I sincerely apologize for the way this was handled. We had several problems with the way this package was being posted and I regret the inconvenience you had with it. I have asked accounting to look into this and refund you the $42. I believe they have done this. If it remains an issue with you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel. I will be happy to oversee any future reservations to ensure you have a flawless experience.

katy, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We booked a room for our 40th anniversary celebration. The entire hotel exceeded our expectations for beauty, atmosphere, quality and cleanliness. Rooms are VERY nice with no need for a suite since you have a sofa and chair by the window in a sitting area. Marble counter tops and an unusual lighting in the bathroom with "behind the mirror" fluorescents are a nice touch. We dined at their upscale restaurant Shearn's and were extremely pleased with the atmosphere, service and quality of food. Be sure you are appropriately dressed to their dress code though (we were)...dressy casual or sport coat is suitable. Appetizer, salad, entrées and dessert were amazing. Even their casual dining restaurant on the main floor was better than most upper-end restaurants in most cities. The grounds inside the hotel and outside have a rain forest tropical feel and manicured to a "T". Amazing heated swimming pool even though we didn't participate because it was 52 degrees outside but many, many people were polar bears and enjoyed their swim. This place was reminiscent of the luxury you find at a resort in the Caribbean but with a lot more class. Even things for the kids to keep them occupied. Salon and Spa looked extremely inviting also. The ONLY and I mean ONLY issue we had was the heat in the room was not working. Called the front desk and they had someone there within 5 minutes working on it and worked until they corrected the problem and got us heat. Cannot say enough about this place. We live close by and never knew we had such an experience this close.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Chris E,

I am happy you chose to stay with us for your 40th anniversary, and glad your first stay exceeded your expectations. It is certainly wonderful to receive such rewarding feedback about the rooms, grounds, and outstanding service staff provided. I am thrilled we were able to create a comfortable and luxurious stay for you, and glad you also enjoyed the food and service from Shearn’s Seafood and Prime Steaks and The Terrace Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your review

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had a great experience!!! The best hotel in the Island! Excellent front desk welcome! All the bars had helpful barman and waitress. We ate at Shearn's and the food and wine was out of this world. We definitively go back. BTW this was our fourth time and we are ready for the fifth one. A little more night life would help.

Room Tip: We had an end of the hall suite, no noise at all. It was great!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raul C
Dear Raul C,

I am happy we were able to create a great experience for your wedding anniversary, and I am thrilled to read how much you all enjoyed your stay, the bars and Shearn’s Seafood and Prime Steaks. I look forward to welcoming you all back for your next stay on the Island, and thank you for your review.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

No other Hotel and Convention center has ever given me and my family such amazing hospitality. The food and service was stellar. The staff...all the way from bell to dining were accommodating and happy to be there. The rooms were so cozy and clean, and very quiet. The view of the pyramids during the holiday season was gorgeous during our lovely meal at Shearn's. My adult daughters enjoyed the spa hour massage along with a gracious offering of beverages. This was a joyous occasion. I will return to Moody Garden's.

Room Tip: I love the air conditioning and quiet halls. I loved the higher floors so I could look out over the...
Dear Susie W,

It is certainly rewarding to read such a wonderful review. I am thrilled your stay was fantastic, and thank you for your kind comments about our staff, accommodations and service. We appreciate your loyalty to Moody Gardens Hotel and Convention Center, and look forward to welcoming you back.

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband and I took our granddaughter to Moody Gardens for the "Festival of Lights" and "A Magical Christmas" that included dinner and show with a magician, ballet dancers, juggler and vocalists. The dinner and show were wonderful. Our granddaughter also loved traveling through the "Rain Forest" and the smores party. We had a beautiful suite and the hotel had beautiful holiday decorations. The Terrace restaurant food was excellent plus the hotel staff was excellent also.

Dear Stella N,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read how much your family enjoyed your stay, and I am glad your granddaughter loved the Rain Forest Pyramid, and the Kid’s Crew activities. I am also happy you enjoyed A Magical Christmas Dinner and Show. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.