“Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I was there on business at a conference.The resort is beautiful and very clean. The rooms are huge. The entire staff was very, very friendly. The prices were very reasonable. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Thai first
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over a weekend for a cheer competition. The hotel is connected to the convention center so that was phenomenal!!! The rooms were average needed some updates but were clean. The beds and pillows were amazing! I am so picky about pillows and these were so comfortable that I plan to call and ask the brand! The amount of mirrors were perfect with a little vanity outside the bathroom. Getting girls hair and makeup on for competition can be stressful in and of itself and not enough mirrors would have been tragic. They also had Keurig coffee pots with coffee and tea. A nice roomy refrigerator for drinks too. We ordered room service for lunch one day and the food was great! The service was fast too. We didn't get to enjoy the pools due to the cold weather but they looked fun! All in all it was a nice place to stay. We would stay there again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Montgomery, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We spent one night a couple weeks ago with our daughter and granddaughter and had 2 adjoining rooms with a special package that included breakfast, the Light Festival, and goodies for our granddaughter. Although the hotel also had a convention and was quite busy, we had no complaints with service or anything else. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, and well appointed. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet-nice variety and well prepared. The dinner we ate at the Garden restaurant was only "ok." We were quite happy with our stay and appreciated being able to check into one room early, so we're taking our other daughter and her daughter in a couple weeks.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Marble Falls, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was a tag-a-long with my sister who was attending a seminar at the Hotel. The only restaurant open during our stay was the Garden Cay. The food was mediocre & that is being kind. The service in the bar and the restaurant was VERY good so it was a shame that the food didn't match the service. I was surprised at how nice our hotel room was. My husband & I stayed at the Hotel Galvez two years ago, and the room at Moody Gardens was nicer. I was very surprised. Now the rudest thing that happened at this hotel was regarding the "bellman" or "valet parker" or whatever the men were who stood outside as we drove up. Two male employees standing around did not even offer to help get our bags out of our car! Watched us struggle & didn't offer a hand! Even if they were just men & not employees, they should have offered to help. Obviously supervision is needed in this area. $18/day parking fee, but you can self-park for free. No concierge and the employees at the front desk didn't have a clue as to nice restaurants in the area. I personally went to the Moody Aquarium. Enjoyable but not as great as I thought it would be. This would probably be fun for kids however.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I had ventured down to Galveston for the day and decided to stay the night. Most hotels in the area were booked, and on a whim we tried Moody Gardens. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least. We've been to Galveston several times over the last 10 years we've lived in Houston, and always said we would like to give it a try. We were able to book a room at the last minute online and when we got there they actually bumped us up to a King room on the 8th floor. The interior of the hotel is very nice and fairly well kept, as was the room. The room had a very modern look/feel almost like it has been remodeled in the last year or two, and still in very good condition. The bed was comfy and had several pillows on it, as well as an extra in the closet. The worst thing I can say about our stay was the water pressure in the shower was a little low, but it still worked okay. Overall, we were quite pleased and will try to come back again some time in the future for a longer stay so we can experience the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pyramids are preferred.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TexasRonA
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Took the family to Galveston for Thanksgiving and we had a blast at the Festival of Lights. Getting in was not bad at all. They had a lot for the kids. They had fun snack food, schmoors, ice skating, a fire thrower, tons of decorations. The line to get into the ice slide was too long, too slow, too pricey, and too short of a ride so we skipped it. Definitely a wonderful time for the whole family. Great was to start the holiday and get in the spirit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Beaumont, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were required to stay at this hotel due to a recent cheer competion.
Complaints:
1. Room smelled when we first entered. After spraying the room, the smell finally subsided.
2. Room service charge 19% ---CRAZY
3. Luggage carts railing was broken on 3 different carts
4. You pay for extra coffee,,,,,,,which is fine, but when I pay please don't re-stock with my purchased coffee and try to pass it off as the coffee you left as re-stocking. When front desk was called about error, I received 2 coffees instead of 4 as I should have received.
5. $18 valet parking and your car is not even in covered parking.

Compliments:
1. Bed was comfortable
2. Shower/Water~~steamy hot!!

In closing, I always had wanted to stay here but I am cured now!! Mark this hotel off my list of future stay locations while in Galveston!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear SANDRAWR2,

Thank you for your feedback. I can understand your frustration regarding the bell carts and the confusion with the Keurig Coffee replacements and I have followed up with our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments. Please know that our valet parking and room service charges are fairly standard with hotels like ours. In these two departments, we are happy to adjust the charges if the service is not good.

I will be happy to oversee any future reservations to ensure you have a flawless experience, and I can be reached at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with the excellant service and quality we are known for.

Garvin O'Neil