“Will not stay there again”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Will not stay there again”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Combination of business and family trip. So excited to take the grandchildren again. Swim up bar, ice cream and nearly everything closed. The first night the sheets were not completely on the bed. It was downhill from there. The next day, I requested fresh towels and make up the bed that had been unfinished. Everytime, I went to the room, I called to request fresh towels and sheets on the bed that had been unmade. Finally after a 7PM phone call to management and room service with the same request, someone showed up without towels or sheets or anything else. It took an hour of sitting there waiting to get the one bed made and fresh towels. Staff and management do not know how to do things. Management never called regarding the problems with housekeeping. Food and service were awful in the restaurant also. Our not so picky, starving 12 year old would not eat the food. Servers stood around talking to one another and would not serve the tables.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DRealtor
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest DRealtor,

I was extremely disappointed to read of the many service lapses that impacted your stay with us. You deserved better and, on behalf of all of us at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies. We normally perform much better than this and your comments regarding housekeeping and our lack of management follow up is very troubling. We recently opened our new restaurant and I would be especially interested if your experience came from that new concept. If you would be kind enough to email me your name and dates you were here, I will personally investigate what happened and get back with you. My email is goneil@moodygardens.com.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed 2 nites during spring break. Was emailed about all the exciting things going on for Spring Break but found Palm Beach closed, zip line not installed even tho ads said open on March 9th, Schlitterbahn not open, ice cream parlor closing early & the cafe prices VERY Expensive & only kids 6 & under eat free.
Staff as always very nice.
Will check into staying at other hotels in Galveston next time.

Room Tip: 5th floor facing the pyramids have awesome views
1 Thank Diana G
Dear Diana G,

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for some of the miscommunications that impacted your visit with us. Spring Break can be a challenge regarding identifying which attractions are open and which are not. This year there were several school districts that did not have their spring break during the peak week of March 8-14. Schlitterbahn was open the first week but closed the week you came. Palm Beach is never open in the spring and is opening weekends starting May 10th and every day between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You were correct regarding our zip line and ropes course not being opened. We encountered a series of challenges that has moved the opening until May. We did have some advertisement out there with the March 8 date and we pulled it all when we saw we were not going to make it. Unfortunately, the error was ours in this regard and I can see how it impacted your stay. If you find yourself returning to Galveston in the near future, please do not hesitate to email me personally at goneil@moodygardens.com as all of us here would love to win back your trust.

Farmers Branch, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed there as part of the Cheer group. Hotel staff for the most part were extremely nice and helpful. The head of security was a jerk though. The hotel itself is dated, but well maintained. Can tell it went through a recent renovation. Very clean and inviting. The pool was great with a swim up bar. Prices weren't too bad for a hotel. Wish we could have experienced more of the actual resort though.

Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Fantastic job on the room renovations - just absolutely gorgeous! The furniture/amenity choices are beautiful and so noticable from previous stays.

The hotel and convention center staff did an outstanding job accommodating our 750+ group of attendees. The quality of food served to such a large group was by far the best that I've seen especially with such a large group. The service was the icing on the cake!

The valet and shuttle crew did an amazing job of handling the many individual groups leaving the property on one of the nights - it was flawless. Bar and restaurant service flowed perfectly even with a restaurant renovation going on ..... the temporary restaurant site looked great too!

This was a very well executed event thanks mostly to such a great hotel and convention center staff. We could not have been more pleased! Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Rooms in north tower have a great view!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Melissa P
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Melissa P,

We are so honored that you chose Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa and Convention Center to host your event. I am thrilled that you and your guests enjoyed the stay with us. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and the recent renovations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The facility is very nice, the staff is very attentive and helpful. The room we had was very clean and toasty (baby it's cold outside). Fridge holds a lot and room is spacious. Only drawback is no microwave in the room but they have free Wifi and a free gym with free yoga class. Happy hour in the lobby is M-F 3-7 with half off appetizers and $4 mixed drinks....hot wings for $4.50 were really good. We love the attractions. We saw Rio in 4D, visited the rainforest,we watched the full length movie "Gravity" starring Sandra Bullock In 3D,participated in some activities the property offers. My girls rosted marshmellows over an open pit and made smores with the staff and other hotel guests. My oldest daughter and I held the limbo stick for the kids during poolside entertainment and my husband was the judge. We had a good time and all of that was just day one. We purchased a family pack annual pass so we will be back again and again. Great place.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Bellawash
Dear Bellawash,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Moody Gardens loves to welcome children and we are so happy to hear that your family enjoyed the Kid’s Crew activities, amenities and the Moody Gardens attractions.

We are excited to hear you purchased a Moody Gardens annual membership and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Rockport, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed Sunday through today. I had promised an employee that I would write a comment card about her but instead I thought I would comment on here about her. I would like to say that you have a friendly staff and some really hard workers. Bergitta took care of us at the pool, the restaurant, and the lobby. Although it is concerning that one person would be working everywhere like that she assured us that they were doing her a favor because she needed to pay for school. Of the staff she was the most accommodating, helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. I do think the hotel is nice and I like the concept of Cafe in the Park. It's a nice restaurant for the family. I did get a little frustrated with all the different menus. Also the restaurant told us to eat dinner in the lobby bar because the wait was long for there. Bergitta rang us up two tickets because she wanted to make sure that our kids could still eat free, it's offered in the restaurant but not in the bar. She told us about the attractions and any of our questions she didn't know the answer to like during breakfast we wanted to know what was in the shooters she found out quick for us. Also I told her that I would write on the comment card that you should let the girls have pants and a jacket on these cold days.

Room Tip: Have a room on one of the top floors because it is a great view.
1 Thank Michelle D
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Visted Galveston and Moody gardens March,2014 for a state dance competition. Beautiful facility recently freshened. Very classy decor excellent service and impressive adjacent convention facilities. Interesting to see a hotel "under fire". Literally dealing withe the arrival of hundreds of families including thousands of young dancers. And doing it well! Beautiful lobby bar area (with great Bloody Mary) inside and outside heated pool. Efficient renovated restaurant on main floor and world class steakhouse on the 9th floor. We ran into the Shearns restaurant manager randomly early in our visit and he was personally attentive and made us feel like family when we dined upstairs later. Best salmon I have ever had, by the way.
The rooms are very nice with balconies available on first and second floors. Nice spa area with excellent workout area, dance room and dry sauna.
Across the parking lot area several huge glass pyramids with rainforest trails and live animals and birds and other museum exhibits and discovery areas. All in all a wonderful destination to enjoy all in itself or to use as a base to explore the proximal water parks and beach areas.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Mark S,

It is certainly rewarding to read such a wonderful review.

I am very thrilled we were able to provide a memorable, satisfying experience for you and your family. We are very proud of our recent updates and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed them. I am also delighted to read of the professional, friendly and helpful service staff provided during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your review.