“Lots to Do. Nice Hotel. Beautiful Grounds.”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Baltimore
“Lots to Do. Nice Hotel. Beautiful Grounds.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed for four nights during a conference my husband had for work. We had a great time. The Hotel Room- The hotel room was spacious and clean. They provided a crib at no cost which was great. I didn't like the toiletries at all. I think they were My Earth brand and they weren't good. I suggest bringing your own. Oh and that's another tip- there is a Dollar store and drug store leading to this place so stop on your way and stock up on pool toys, gallons of water (the sink water didn't taste good), sunblock etc.

The Hotel and dining- The hotel itself is large but once we figured out which elevator to use for what, we were good.We were in the north tower overlooking the pool and pyramids which was nice. The pool is great. they have a shallow end where our 4 year old hung out. A waterfall under a bridge and a (bonus) pool bar as well as waiter service. I think beers were $4 and mixed drinks were around $8. Typical resort prices. We ate at the Cafe restaurant for breakfast. they have a reasonably priced kids menu which is appreciated. The eggs Benedict Florentine were great. The next day my egg was under cooked with my meal so it wasn't so good. But its an ok place. The staff at the hotel were all very nice and accommodating. Mr. Alvin who took our bags up was great.

The Resort- So much to do. Palm Beach was awesome for our family. Our 4 yr old loved it. They have a something for everyone and provide hotel guests with beach towels. And our girl enjoyed the kiddie size water slides. They serve food and cocktails there too. The aquarium and rain forest pyramids were very nice. We did the 4d movie which was cute. The grounds of this entire place are BEAUTIFUL. The landscaping is so tropical and lush. they do a great job. We didnt make it to the third pyramid or the Pirate exhibit. Like i said, just so much to do. they also had a moon bounce, corn hole and a big playground. The pool is open late- another bonus. There is a restaurant in the rain forest pyramid and i wish we would have learned of it earlier. it has a great view of the water. There is also a Starbucsk in the hotel and a nice lobby bar and steak house. We ate at the steak and had a nice meal. They have a dress code but will seat you in the lounge if you dont want to get too dressed up. The view from the lounge is better anyway!

We ate off site at the Cajun Greek and had a great meal. Its casual and kid friendly. And like i said, there are stores close so forget packing too much and grab it when you get there. I forgot to mention MG is literally across the street from Schlitterbahn waterpark It looks fun, but Palm Beach was perfect for our family.

All in all we had a great stay and were sad to leave. Well done, MG.

Room Tip: Some rooms in the North Tower overlook the pool and pyramids
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RLP144

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Thai first
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We came for a state convention, second time in 5 years, and I'm still amazed at all there is to do here. The hotel and Moody complex with its 3 pyramids, waster park and beach, zip line, paddle wheel boat, etc. are only the beginning. There is a Schlitterbahn water park and Lone Star Flight Museum located within walking distance.the rooms are large and very clean ( a real plus in a beach town where salt air tends to corrode exposed metal). The beds Re very comfortable with nice linens and the air will freeze you out if you're not careful. Resort rooms are usually pricey, and this is no exception, but at least here you feel like you're getting what you pay for.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Porter, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We've stayed at Moody Gardens 2 times this year. The property is beautiful and very well kept! Every staff member works hard to do their part in making your stay be the best it can. We witnessed this in different areas - from the valet, room service, Cafe In The Park, the new bar - to the pool. Nicest hotel staff that we've ever encountered. They truly care! The rooms are decorated very nicely and the beds I believe may be a type of air mattress. One of our best nights rest in a hotel - ever! The balcony rooms are just amazing! Private patio with nice lounge chairs. Truly was hard to leave this last time. Not going to get to make it to the Margarita Fest Weekend... but we will be back soon! Truly has become our favorite escape! For a couple - it's a very nice escape! As for families, I certainly observe lots of smiles there! I love that they have so much going on. The hotel has some type of entertainment on Saturday evenings and they even had a shelf stocked with games in the balcony suite! Just simply amazing! One note - don't leave Cafe In The Park - without a piece of their yummie Carrot Cake! I'm still craving another piece of their cake! LOL! Price of rooms are more than fair when you start comparing around - it's just a nice relaxing place! You don't hear a lot of noise when you are in your room. As you do in a lot of hotels.

Room Tip: 6th floor has amazing views... but the 3rd floor balcony on the other side of the hotel has amazing...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Morrisville, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Galveston is absolutely beautiful. Moody Gardens is a unique experience. This is one of the best botanical gardens I've ever experienced. The hotel had a resort look and feel. the employees were really nice. They offered to show me around the island which was really cool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, hotel was nice and rooms are ok, definitely not 'luxurious' like they claim. We used points for the stay and I'm glad we did because I would not pay their advertised rates. We went to the palm beach area for a bit with our daughter. The area itself is very small and I can see how it could be a total madhouse if you were to go on a weekend (we went on a Friday around 5 pm). Breakfast buffet was actually pretty good but it is $17 pp. All the kids seemed to have a great time, daughter included, so it was a nice weekend overall. Just be leery if you are used to staying at a true resort with luxurious accommodations, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jmtaggie05
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear jmtaggie05,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While I was pleased to read the nice comments regarding how much your children enjoyed themselves, I was concerned over your impressions of our guest rooms and property. As of Memorial Day weekend, we have completed our $20 million dollar remodeling of all the guest rooms and public areas and I have been getting overwhelmingly positive feedback from our guests with the new look in the Café in the Park Restaurant and the Lobby Bar. Our goal was to create a look and look that was fresh and contemporary while maintaining a resort feel. I can understand that some people might feel the design is not as classic as many upscale and flagged properties, but I would put the quality of our finishes, the amenities and the spaciousness our new rooms at the top for Texas Gulf Coast hotels.

I appreciated your feedback on Palm Beach as well. You are correct that our waterpark is smaller than the Schlitterbahn waterpark across next door to us. For all hotel guests, the admission to Palm Beach is included in the room rate paid at the hotel. It is a perfect setting for younger children (0-8 years) however all ages are given access. For the pre-teens and teens staying with us, Schlitterbahn is the best option with many more rides geared for adults and older children. We offer Schlitterbahn hotel packages and have a shuttle to drive our guests to and from their park.

Thank you for your comments and we would welcome the opportunity to be of service sometime in the near future.

Garvin O'Neil
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here during a recent road trip and despite the weather not cooperating, we had a good time. The rooms were spacious and the balcony facing the pyramids was amazing. The pool was really well maintained and a nice size. The bar staff were a bit stiff, they would walk around and were not really engaging in getting us drinks so we opted not too. The restaurant was perfect and I recommend you get the breakfast package. It was a conveniently nice walk to the pyramids and we were able to explore the Rainforest and Aquarium Pyramids but didn't have enough time to see the Pirate featured one because of time. I loved 4D Theater which was interactive and featured Rio 2 however, the Ridefilm Theater played Happy Feet and wasn't as good as I expected. It really needs an upgrade and the seats were hard. We also did the Colonel Paddlewheel Boat cruise which thankfully were all included in the pyramid admission price. DO NOT PAY for the Boat Cruise excursion separately as it is a complete waste of time. We spent the whole ride waiting on a line to get a drink and missed the view because its that short of time going around, smh! Highly recommended for families...we would visit again!

EMBARK on a Colonel Paddlewheel Boat cruise,

Room Tip: Request a view of the pyramids
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank adivinadora
Albany, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have a few complaints and but overall my experience was great. Checking in was great we loved Dahlia and we ate in the restaurant. We had excellent service at Cafe in the Park. We really liked Hector, he was very kind and efficient at taking care of our problems. On the Friday of our stay we went to the pool and wanted service on the side of the pool. Our waitress was horrible. Everyone was nice and very exceeding of our expectations until this point. She took forever between her rounds when I could see the other girl on the other side making probably three times the rounds. So we made trips up to the bar, which the girl would be in the bar hanging out. She used language I would not want my children to hear. I never got my receipt so I do not know her name but she was the one with the sleeve and bruises. The next day we came down we made sure to grab the other girl Nina. She was a tad overwhelmed but still the service was a thousand times better than the night before. Also another girl (didn't see her name) and Fabian were helping her out. Good to see the teamwork. I would say that Im not sure the attractions are worth what we pay to see them but my children enjoyed them. The buffet food needs attention, we came down late so Im sure some of the food were sitting there for awhile. The only other complaint I have is nothing the hotel could do but the actual Galveston beach is disgusting!!!! The smell is so sickening and the mounds of seaweed and brown nasty water.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Maria A
Dear Maria A,

Thank you for the very kind recognition of Dahlia, Hector and Nina as they are all valued associates here. While I was pleased that your overall experience was great, I sincerely apologize for our service lapses at the pool and I want you to know that I also witnessed the same problems poolside recently. In fact, we had a manger’s meeting about pool service last week and your posting could not have been better timed, because it gave us a stark example of what the guest sees when we are not paying attention. Please know that we have turned the corner with our poolside foodservice and I appreciated your taking the time to let us know.

I would like to encourage you to give Galveston another chance some time down the road. I have been here since 1999 and, while we do get seasonal seaweed washing up at the beginning of each summer, I have never seen it come to shore in such quantities like this year. Thankfully, it looks like we are over the hump as I traveled the Seawall Boulevard yesterday and saw much less coming ashore. We are fortunate here at Moody Gardens as we are on the bay side of the island and never encounter seaweed issues.

Summer is Galveston’s high season when schools are out and all the attractions and amenities are in full swing. But, allow me to share a secret to Galveston Island. Maybe the best time to visit is in the fall (October, November) and spring (March and April) where the temperatures are cooler (but still warm), the island is less crowded and the beach and the shoreline are quite pristine…and one more thing…the hotel rates are much less.

We appreciate your kind and candid feedback and we would love to see you give our Island a second chance.

Garvin O'Neil