“Still a family favorite getaway!”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Still a family favorite getaway!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have stayed at Moody Gardens approximately once a year, for the last 7 years. It is still a family favorite, and our kids are 16 and 12, now. The Resort, Hotel and Conference center, have all been updated within the last year and look wonderful. The new carpet, upholstery and bedding are plush and very nice. The staff is always very courteous and the property is clean. The Resort always (in summer,not sure about winter/check website) has fun things going on for kids, ie, smore's, movies outside in evening, karaoke, hula hoops, etc. It is a really great place to go to sit back and relax and let your kids play. The pool area is great, too.
The dining options, onsite, and including the Pyramids, are plenty and enough to satisfy. There's no need to go to town to eat, but many restaurants are just a few miles down the Seawall. Room service is fast and the food is great. They offer the option to fill out your breakfast order and hang it on your door knob, and it's delivered at the time of your choice. This is typically one of my favorite services at a Resort, but, Caution, breakfast for 4 was $84. including the room service charge and automatic gratuity. It is a much better deal to go to the restaurant downstairs and eat the buffet, especially if you have children. Usually the Palm Beach admittance is included when you stay at the Resort, but not always.
I HIGHLY recommend Moody Gardens! It's close to Houston and easy to get to. You can easily spend a day exploring the attractions/pyramids next door, hang out at Palm Beach or just spend time relaxing by the pool!

2 Thank srampelli
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear srampelli,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed everything during your recent stay at Moody Gardens. Thank you for the nice notes about our staff and for sharing your thoughts on the pool, Café in the Park, amenities and our Kid’s Crew activities. As long as Palm Beach is open to the public, the cost to get in is included in your room rate.

We are honored and delighted to know that we continue to be a favorite place for your family to visit. We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to welcome you back to for many years to come!

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Thai first
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been back to Moody Gardens Resort three more times since my last review late last year, twice with a group, and once on my own. On all three occasions, the accommodations were exquisite and the service was outstanding. Our organization has a myriad of high quality properties to choose from in the Galveston / Houston area, but it is no accident that Moody Gardens Resort is our top choice by far! The GM, Director of Sales, and Catering Manager are the best I have ever worked with anywhere, and the entire staff reflects their excellent leadership.

As I said before, I highly recommend Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa and Convention Center for your next function, whether it's for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tommy L,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Moody Gardens! We are so glad that you find the accommodations exquisite and our service outstanding. Your feedback and continued loyalty are appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Fayetteville, N.C.,USA
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My son booked us here for only one night, T Moody Gardens. We arrived early and we were promptly given rooms. We were so surprised by this exceptional resort! Our only regret was that it was too short of time! We went to their beach resort area, Palm Beach, which my 4 year old grandson & 9 month grandsons enjoyed. We all went on the lazy river! Next morning we went to the pirate museum exhibit which was really spectacular and kid friendly! Our rooms were great. Very family friendly resort! We will definitely revisit!

Dear catlover10,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your quick getaway! It’s great to hear that you and your grandsons were able to enjoy Palm Beach’s Lazy River and our Real Pirates exhibit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to for many more, getaways!

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here the night before our cruise Memorial Day Weekend 2014. We went to check in at 12:30 pm and the young lady said, "well your room is not ready at this time..... " I politely said I paid $100 extra for early check in . She looked in the records and said , Yes I see that now , I am going to upgrade you to a room with a better view, OK?" Well, of course we took it as we were ready to rest from the drive. After getting up to the room everything was nice, but I did not have the little balcony that I had reserved which was kind of a bummer. The space was fairly roomy with a great view of the pyramid and pool area. There was a couch and a chair in the room as well. A mini fridge was included but not a microwave which was not a factor for us. The bathroom ammenities were shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion,shower cap, and a little sewing kit which is nice to take on a cruise (just in case). I did not enjoy my shower as the water pressure was not good at all but the shampoo and body wash seemed fine, As I said earlier this was Memorial Day weekend so it was very crowded and you knew it when you had to use the elevators. otherwise it was not too loud or anything when you were in your room. We did not get a chance to partake in any of the Moody Gardens entertainment, but from what I could see it looked fun and well maintained. It says on the Moody gardens website that there is a bunch of parking spots underground I did not find that to be true. When you first get there as we did early there was plenty, but after leaving for awhile to watch Carnival Triumph set sail and grab a bite to eat there was NO parking underground unless you did valet and there was only a few of those left. There is however a whole lot of parking outside. All in all everything was adequate, just not outstanding, Because it was a holiday weekend on a Saturday night stay the room was HIGHLY overpriced, but due to the demand the choices were limited. I would stay here again, but ONLY at a much reduced price than I paid this visit. .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jackie G
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Chesneyfan_10,

Thank you for your many kind comments regarding your stay with us over Memorial Day weekend. I was concerned to read that you encountered some service glitches with your room assignment, especially after arranging for an early check in and balcony request. While I was pleased to see our front desk associate was trying to be helpful with an upgrade, we should have been better prepared for you and, on behalf of all of us here, please accept my most sincere apologies. I agree with you that a higher priced hotel should deliver outstanding service and I have shared your remarks in our weekly department head meeting. Galveston Island is a popular destination for its many amenities like the beach and Moody Gardens. Holiday weekend hotel rates are at their highest during the summer and your remarks were well received. Please know that the Moody Gardens Hotel, like many Galveston properties, offer better summer rates when Fridays and Saturdays are not included. We have many days in July and August where we are offering 20% off our published rates when booking the hotel directly by telephone or on our website. Also, please know that the spring and fall on Galveston Island offers wonderful weather and even better room rates. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens in the not too distant future.

New Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My wife booked a weekend getaway at Moody Gardens with a two day package for activities around the resort. We enjoyed all the sites including Palm Beach on the evening with the fireworks. Interesting enough the Tequila/Margarita Festival was held on property and made it that much better. A must visit resort with amenities for the whole family.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marquezr57
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear marquezr57,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Moody Gardens! We are delighted that you were able to visit Palm Beach and that you enjoyed the Tequila Festival while here.

We hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens in the near future!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2014

the food at Café on the Park was really good.The rooms are comfortable and have a great view there is stuff to do like the aquarium and the Colonel paddlewheel boat which is very nice. The people are nice and hospitable especially Hector Romo in the café on the park. He is extremely nice and makes us feel right at home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed for four nights during a conference my husband had for work. We had a great time. The Hotel Room- The hotel room was spacious and clean. They provided a crib at no cost which was great. I didn't like the toiletries at all. I think they were My Earth brand and they weren't good. I suggest bringing your own. Oh and that's another tip- there is a Dollar store and drug store leading to this place so stop on your way and stock up on pool toys, gallons of water (the sink water didn't taste good), sunblock etc.

The Hotel and dining- The hotel itself is large but once we figured out which elevator to use for what, we were good.We were in the north tower overlooking the pool and pyramids which was nice. The pool is great. they have a shallow end where our 4 year old hung out. A waterfall under a bridge and a (bonus) pool bar as well as waiter service. I think beers were $4 and mixed drinks were around $8. Typical resort prices. We ate at the Cafe restaurant for breakfast. they have a reasonably priced kids menu which is appreciated. The eggs Benedict Florentine were great. The next day my egg was under cooked with my meal so it wasn't so good. But its an ok place. The staff at the hotel were all very nice and accommodating. Mr. Alvin who took our bags up was great.

The Resort- So much to do. Palm Beach was awesome for our family. Our 4 yr old loved it. They have a something for everyone and provide hotel guests with beach towels. And our girl enjoyed the kiddie size water slides. They serve food and cocktails there too. The aquarium and rain forest pyramids were very nice. We did the 4d movie which was cute. The grounds of this entire place are BEAUTIFUL. The landscaping is so tropical and lush. they do a great job. We didnt make it to the third pyramid or the Pirate exhibit. Like i said, just so much to do. they also had a moon bounce, corn hole and a big playground. The pool is open late- another bonus. There is a restaurant in the rain forest pyramid and i wish we would have learned of it earlier. it has a great view of the water. There is also a Starbucsk in the hotel and a nice lobby bar and steak house. We ate at the steak and had a nice meal. They have a dress code but will seat you in the lounge if you dont want to get too dressed up. The view from the lounge is better anyway!

We ate off site at the Cajun Greek and had a great meal. Its casual and kid friendly. And like i said, there are stores close so forget packing too much and grab it when you get there. I forgot to mention MG is literally across the street from Schlitterbahn waterpark It looks fun, but Palm Beach was perfect for our family.

All in all we had a great stay and were sad to leave. Well done, MG.

Room Tip: Some rooms in the North Tower overlook the pool and pyramids