“4 day weekend with the family!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Plano, Texas
“4 day weekend with the family!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We first visited Moody Gardens Hotel many years ago, so my review is based on a comparison of what I remember. Our first visit was amazing, 12 years ago I returned home raving about this wonderful hotel.....things have since changed and unfortunately, not for the better.

The good stuff first, we arrived early and our room was ready - I thought we are off to a great start! Check-in was quick and easy. We had dinner our first night at the Cafe in the Park (i think that's what it's called) great food and service! Buffet breakfast on Saturday and Sunday was pretty good. Massage with Terry was amazing, she is well worth the splurge! I had a deep tissue massage, she is great at what she does. I don't give these type of reviews for a massage lightly. Palm Beach and Fireworks on Friday night were pretty good, it was a nice way to end our first night!

The not so good.....
We were on the 5th floor, we walked into the room to find that the bathroom floor was sticky and dirty. I called the front desk and immediately someone from housekeeping was at my door.....only to show me where she had checked off her list of rooms and she said the floor had been clean when she checked it.....implying that we must've dropped something. I explained to her we had just walked in.....minor stuff but was not happy. If we had spilled something why would I care and lie about it, seriously? But no biggie......unfortunately this was a preview of the service to come.... The wait staff at the breakfast buffet was okay.....but our waiter lacked any customer service skills - it bordered on being outright rude but not quite. The bartendar at the pool (she was an older lady) was upset to have to serve my 23 year old. She made a big deal and let it be known she wasn't too happy to do it. She literally eyeballed her ID for about 3 minutes and we (her parents) were with her! Service was slow and unpleasant - she ruined the experience that we were looking for....relaxing by the pool with a few drinks. Our last day, Monday we opted for the buffet again. Only to find out that they had removed the made to order omelet station, that would've been been good to know, we are big on omelets. All they had were scrambled eggs....seriously? My husband wanted to go to IHOP but I thought this was more convenient. They had 2 broken pieces of bread to make toast, for the entire 30 minutes we were there....no one bothered to refresh it. Server was polite but really slow. Young lady at the gift shop, won't go into detail but she was curt.

Bottom-line I expect good and friendly service when paying for any service/product. Not sure why these employees are allowed to treat customers this way, if they don't want to be there, they should leave - I'm sure there are people who would appreciate an opportunity.

I'll hang on to the memories.... of what use to be and hope that in the future I read reviews that give me hope but I don't plan on returning. I may try a couple of other hotels in the area, if we come back at all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear 4 day weekend with the family,

Thank you for your thoughtful commentary regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to see the many kind words and I was especially gratified to read how well Terri did in the Spa. I was very disappointed to read the series of lapses that impacted your visit and, on behalf of all of us here, please accept my most sincere apologies. I took the opportunity to share your candid and helpful feedback this morning with our managers in our weekly meeting. The encounters with the housekeeping personnel and the pool bartender were difficult to read, but very helpful in identifying areas where more training is needed. We all agreed that in both areas, there was really no professionalism demonstrated and the behavior was not only rude but unnecessary. As you stated, we need to deliver good and friendly service and I regret that your experience was lacking. I also noted the condition of the breakfast buffet. Please know that we lower the price of the buffet during the week to reflect removing the omelet station. It is certainly worth consideration to do the omelet station seven days a week and we will be looking at that.

I would welcome the opportunity to win back your trust in us and am happy to visit with you by phone or email at (409) 683-4405 or at goneil@moodygardens.com.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

A fantastic hotel and attractions for adults and children. Everything is right there for a fun and educational weekend. The aquarium , 4D movie, pool, beach , rain forest, and other fun items are well worth it. The rooms were set on a enjoyable view and air conditioner was cold..

Room Tip: Get there early to enjoy all the attractions especially the aquarium , 4D movie, pool and other fun...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donald F
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Donald F,

Thank you so much for the nice review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay at Moody Gardens! I am glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities and attractions that Moody Gardens has to offer!

We would love to welcome you back to Moody Gardens very soon!

Benbrook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were looking for a 3 day getaway with our 10 year old, and we are ever so glad we found Moody Gardens. The hotel was nicely decorated; the view was fantastic; the beds were comfortable; the staff were very helpful. The hotel has a wonderful pool and activities outside to keep the children entertained: movies poolside, karaoke, yard chess/checkers, bean bag toss, and an evening with s'mores. Also, inside there is a play room with video games. Furthermore, if you take advantage of the 3 pyramids, the paddle boat, and the mini-water park, you won't have to leave this little treasure in Galveston for your stay.

2 Thank Marla C
Dear Marla C,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your three day getaway at Moody Gardens. We love to welcome Children of any age to Moody Gardens. I am delighted that your child enjoyed all of the Kids Crew activities. We are happy that you were able to make time to visit and enjoy all of the Moody Gardens attractions!

We hope to welcome you and your family back to Moody Gardens for another getaway!

Coppell, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great family resort! My wife and along with our three daughters and their spouses stayed for a long weekend. We booked one of the poolside suites and had a great family vacation. The pool area is fun with music and a swim up bar. The pyramids were fun and educational. We didn't visit the resort's beach this time but have in the past and enjoyed it then.

We all enjoyed our stay and staying together in the suite made all the difference in the world!

Room Tip: If staying near the pool is important, stay in the poolside suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mike L,

I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your extended weekend getaway at Moody Gardens! Thank you for all of the nice comments about our hotel, pool and attractions. It’s great to hear you were able to enjoy the pool, our swim up bar is a guest favorite.

We hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens soon!

Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We live in Sugar Land, a close 1 hour drive, and decided to have a three day family vacation. We had three rooms to accommodate our children and grandchildren. The hotel and resort area were so pleasant I kept forgetting we were so close to home and really felt like a vacation we might take to some far away resort. We arrived long before check in time and had planned to visit the nearby aquarium until our rooms were ready. We were pleasantly surprised to find two of our rooms ready for check in. Check was quick and they phoned us when the third room was ready, just a short time later while we were having lunch in the cafe. Service was excellent throughout. We enjoyed room service, the cafe and the swim up bar. So relaxing and not having to travel a great distance to get there added to the enjoyment of this get away.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor with views of the pyramids and bay. beautiful views
2 Thank Diana M
Dear Diana M,

Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am so glad to hear that you and your family had a memorable family vacation so close to home! Moody Gardens Resort loves to welcome children to the hotel and I am happy that your grandchildren enjoyed the Moody Gardens attractions! Thank you for the nice notes about our service!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens in the near future!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The room was nice, but the service was bad, especially at the front desk. I checked in at about 7:45 pm and the crib I requested int he room wasn't there. I even reminded them when I checked in about the crib. I had to call a second time to receive it. Clearly, if i I am still using a crib, the child needs to be in bed early. It took about an hour to get it. The room should have been ready for check-in at 4. The room was near the Shearn restaurant so there was loud music and noise well into the night.

I am 8 months pregnant so I booked a spa treatment, but one wasn't available until a little after noon on the day of checkout so I asked for a late checkout so that my toddler could nap in the room while I had my treatment (after a noise-filled night from the restaurant). I also wanted to shower from the morning at the water park. They said they were too full to accommodate and I could shower in the fitness center. (You have to have a room key to enter the fitness center locker room, which I turned in at checkout). So I go to the spa appointment straight from the water park--all gross and full of chlorine. After I am in the room, the therapist tells me to take off my necklace and put it in my robe pocket. Of course, I forget the necklace in the robe pocket. I called the next day when I realized it. No results from the front desk, spa or security. I called two days later to check on it and they've never even heard of the lost necklace or my name.

Of all the people to not extend the courtesy of just 1-2 hours extra time. I take the blame for losing my necklace, but it clearly would not have been this bad if the hotel had been slightly accommodating.

Room was nice but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth and it clearly wasn't a value if I lost another several hundred dollars in jewelry.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Toddler_Baby_Mommy,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the series of service lapses that impacted your stay with us. You deserved better and please accept my most sincere apologies. I did research your stay and please know that we agree with that the long wait time to get a crib was not acceptable and, having traveled with young ones, an early bedtime for them is critically important. I was also disappointed to read of our lack of service to your very reasonable request for a later check out because of a spa service. You were 100% right and I was disturbed at the lack of attention and care at the front desk.

I did look into the missing necklace and we know what happened. It appears that you left the necklace in the bathrobe pocket and the bathrobe went through the laundry. One of our laundry associates did find it but it had been badly damaged in the laundry.

We love reading when guests have a great stay, but more importantly, we need to see feedback when we dropped the ball like we did with your recent visit. I was able to get your contact information from our records and will be contacting you in the next few days to see what we can do to win back your confidence. I do have the necklace in my office and will be forwarding that to you as well. Thank you for your candor and please know that I have shared your comments will all of our associates so we can do better going forward.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Staying at Moody Gardens is the best spot to stay on the island if you have a car and if you are bringing children. Not only do they have nice pool facilities but a major water park (Schlitterbahn) is practically in their parking lot. (It's not part of the hotel but is so convenient). The restaurants are very accommodating for gluten free dinners. At the breakfast, they didn't have gf cereal but they were fine with me using mine. The fancy upstairs restaurant Shearn's was amazing. I had the best crab ever. It's a splurge but the service and food made it worthwhile. There are plenty of other places around the island to try and it wasn't hard to find places that were gf accommodating. The beach on the property is very cute but it isn't part of the Galveston beach system. It's a man made beach with nice pool areas and lots of sand. The ambiance is adorable with little beach shack style vendors for drinks and snacks.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RamblinRancher66
Dear RamblinRancher66,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed everything during your stay. Thank you so much for the nice comments about our staff and Moody Gardens. Shearn’s Seafood and Prime Steaks is a guest favorite and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the crab cakes. Palm Beach is always a favorite of our guests and it’s great to hear you were able to take advantage of Palm Beach’s white sand and ambiance! I have forwarded your comments about gluten free breakfast selections to our Chef so he can take them into consideration.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to Moody Gardens for business or pleasure!