“Good for families with young children”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Austin, Texas
“Good for families with young children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed two nights for a legal conference and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. The fitness center sorely needs to be updated. The equipment was mostly 15-20 years old. The grounds were well maintained with a small exception of the hedges outside the fitness window needing a trim. The rooms are nice although the bathrooms are outdated in fixtures and decor. For families with young children there are lots of activities!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Good with Families with Young Children

Thank you for your very kind email and the many nice words regarding our associates. I agree with you that we need to rotate out some fitness equipment and replace it with some machines that are more popular now. We are looking at this for the fall. Please know that the overwhelming feedback of the fitness room is very positive for its size, the large selection of equipment and the free weights. I was also pleased that you found the newly remodeled guest rooms nice and my guess is that the selections we made for the bathrooms is more a matter of style and taste preferences. All of our guestroom bathrooms have been fully remodeled including all the equipment, lighting, counters, sinks and tile. We greatly appreciate your choosing us and look forward to being of service some time again down the road.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Thai first
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The service was friendly and attentive. The hotel was beautiful. The bellman are very informative, I loved the man made beach and the pool! The room was beautiful with an amazing view. Room service was very quick. We had so many amenities at our fingertips. This place is perfect for a family or a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: The pyramid view is the best!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sgarmon
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Sgarmon,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens. It’s great to hear you enjoyed Palm Beach and all the amenities we offer. We are honored that you feel our hotel is the best place to stay on Galveston Island.

Your comments about the hotel and our staff are appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens.

Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great family oriented resort. Fun activities for kids, relaxing atmosphere for parents. Loved that the water park was included in room rate. Very clean rooms and extremely friendly employees. Great resort to park car and stay at for a few days, everything you need is in one place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Traci G
Dear Traci G,

Thank you for the nice note! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that you and your family tried Palm Beach, it is always a favorite of our guests!

We hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens again soon!

Plano, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We first visited Moody Gardens Hotel many years ago, so my review is based on a comparison of what I remember. Our first visit was amazing, 12 years ago I returned home raving about this wonderful hotel.....things have since changed and unfortunately, not for the better.

The good stuff first, we arrived early and our room was ready - I thought we are off to a great start! Check-in was quick and easy. We had dinner our first night at the Cafe in the Park (i think that's what it's called) great food and service! Buffet breakfast on Saturday and Sunday was pretty good. Massage with Terry was amazing, she is well worth the splurge! I had a deep tissue massage, she is great at what she does. I don't give these type of reviews for a massage lightly. Palm Beach and Fireworks on Friday night were pretty good, it was a nice way to end our first night!

The not so good.....
We were on the 5th floor, we walked into the room to find that the bathroom floor was sticky and dirty. I called the front desk and immediately someone from housekeeping was at my door.....only to show me where she had checked off her list of rooms and she said the floor had been clean when she checked it.....implying that we must've dropped something. I explained to her we had just walked in.....minor stuff but was not happy. If we had spilled something why would I care and lie about it, seriously? But no biggie......unfortunately this was a preview of the service to come.... The wait staff at the breakfast buffet was okay.....but our waiter lacked any customer service skills - it bordered on being outright rude but not quite. The bartendar at the pool (she was an older lady) was upset to have to serve my 23 year old. She made a big deal and let it be known she wasn't too happy to do it. She literally eyeballed her ID for about 3 minutes and we (her parents) were with her! Service was slow and unpleasant - she ruined the experience that we were looking for....relaxing by the pool with a few drinks. Our last day, Monday we opted for the buffet again. Only to find out that they had removed the made to order omelet station, that would've been been good to know, we are big on omelets. All they had were scrambled eggs....seriously? My husband wanted to go to IHOP but I thought this was more convenient. They had 2 broken pieces of bread to make toast, for the entire 30 minutes we were there....no one bothered to refresh it. Server was polite but really slow. Young lady at the gift shop, won't go into detail but she was curt.

Bottom-line I expect good and friendly service when paying for any service/product. Not sure why these employees are allowed to treat customers this way, if they don't want to be there, they should leave - I'm sure there are people who would appreciate an opportunity.

I'll hang on to the memories.... of what use to be and hope that in the future I read reviews that give me hope but I don't plan on returning. I may try a couple of other hotels in the area, if we come back at all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear 4 day weekend with the family,

Thank you for your thoughtful commentary regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to see the many kind words and I was especially gratified to read how well Terri did in the Spa. I was very disappointed to read the series of lapses that impacted your visit and, on behalf of all of us here, please accept my most sincere apologies. I took the opportunity to share your candid and helpful feedback this morning with our managers in our weekly meeting. The encounters with the housekeeping personnel and the pool bartender were difficult to read, but very helpful in identifying areas where more training is needed. We all agreed that in both areas, there was really no professionalism demonstrated and the behavior was not only rude but unnecessary. As you stated, we need to deliver good and friendly service and I regret that your experience was lacking. I also noted the condition of the breakfast buffet. Please know that we lower the price of the buffet during the week to reflect removing the omelet station. It is certainly worth consideration to do the omelet station seven days a week and we will be looking at that.

I would welcome the opportunity to win back your trust in us and am happy to visit with you by phone or email at (409) 683-4405 or at goneil@moodygardens.com.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

A fantastic hotel and attractions for adults and children. Everything is right there for a fun and educational weekend. The aquarium , 4D movie, pool, beach , rain forest, and other fun items are well worth it. The rooms were set on a enjoyable view and air conditioner was cold..

Room Tip: Get there early to enjoy all the attractions especially the aquarium , 4D movie, pool and other fun...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donald F
Dear Donald F,

Thank you so much for the nice review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay at Moody Gardens! I am glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities and attractions that Moody Gardens has to offer!

We would love to welcome you back to Moody Gardens very soon!

Benbrook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were looking for a 3 day getaway with our 10 year old, and we are ever so glad we found Moody Gardens. The hotel was nicely decorated; the view was fantastic; the beds were comfortable; the staff were very helpful. The hotel has a wonderful pool and activities outside to keep the children entertained: movies poolside, karaoke, yard chess/checkers, bean bag toss, and an evening with s'mores. Also, inside there is a play room with video games. Furthermore, if you take advantage of the 3 pyramids, the paddle boat, and the mini-water park, you won't have to leave this little treasure in Galveston for your stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marla C
Dear Marla C,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your three day getaway at Moody Gardens. We love to welcome Children of any age to Moody Gardens. I am delighted that your child enjoyed all of the Kids Crew activities. We are happy that you were able to make time to visit and enjoy all of the Moody Gardens attractions!

We hope to welcome you and your family back to Moody Gardens for another getaway!

Coppell, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great family resort! My wife and along with our three daughters and their spouses stayed for a long weekend. We booked one of the poolside suites and had a great family vacation. The pool area is fun with music and a swim up bar. The pyramids were fun and educational. We didn't visit the resort's beach this time but have in the past and enjoyed it then.

We all enjoyed our stay and staying together in the suite made all the difference in the world!

Room Tip: If staying near the pool is important, stay in the poolside suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mike L,

I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your extended weekend getaway at Moody Gardens! Thank you for all of the nice comments about our hotel, pool and attractions. It’s great to hear you were able to enjoy the pool, our swim up bar is a guest favorite.

We hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens soon!