“Loved out mini-vacation!”

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Texas
“Loved out mini-vacation!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spent 3 days at Moody Gardens with neighbors and the four grandkids. We checked in early, and spent the afternoon at the beautiful pool with the kids. The pool bar made great pina coladas. We had dinner that night at the casual restaurant, and it was very nice. The kids' dinner was free, as was their buffet breakfast the next morning. Took the girls to the Aquarium Pyramid for Shark Week, and they had a great time. This is one of the best family-oriented hotels we've ever visited.

Room Tip: Our room was 162 on the first floor. There was no view, but the room was large with high ceilings a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear AgileTexan,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that your family enjoyed your mini vacation! It’s great to hear that you and your girls were able to enjoy Shark Week at the Aquarium.

We look forward to welcoming you back to for many more, getaways!

Garvin O'Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visit 1 - 2 times each summer and 1 time each winter and are always thrilled with the place. The kids range in age from 3 - 5 and there is plenty to do and see with fun for them and the adults. The hotel was completely redone in the winter after the first of the year and it is beautiful. We can't wait to go back for the lights in December!

Dear Alrenshaw,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are honored that you visit Moody Gardens multiple times each year. It is fulfilling to read that you enjoy everything when you stay with us. We love to welcome children to the hotel and are delighted to hear your kids enjoy our complimentary Kid’s Crew Activities. We are pleased to hear that you find the hotel renovations beautiful.

Thank you for your continued loyalty. We are excited to welcome you back to Moody Gardens for the Festival of Lights this holiday season!

Spring, Texas, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here on a quick weekend getaway and it was fantastic! Check in was a breeze, the room was nice, clean and comfortable. The restaurants on site were great and the pool was lots of fun, including a swim up bar. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Kim S
Dear Kim S,

Thank you so much for the nice comments about Moody Gardens! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens in the future.

Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Although we've been to Galveston numerous times, this was our first stay at Moody Gardens. We took four grandkids and this has got to be one of the best, kid-friendly, resorts for kids. We were there for 4 days but ran out of time to do everyhing. Palm Beach was exceptional! It is the perfect combination of a sandy beach (without the salt-water) and water park with just about something for everyone. There were water slides for older kids and adults and smaller slides and a wave pad for younger children. The wave pool and lazy river were nice as well. There were lots of lifeguards and supervision at all of the beach areas. Then they have the acquarium pyramid, the rainforest pyramid, a 3-D theater, a discovery pyramid, ziplining, plus other activities we didn't even get to. And, there is another huge water park that is separate from Palm Beach on the property. Situated on Galveston Bay, you can also ride the Colonel paddlewheeler for either short bay cruises or a dinner cruise. The only negative we found was that the majority of the vending machines on the guest floors did not work. The front desk had no explanation, but we went from floor to floor until we found one. Our rooms were very nice and roomy with an excellent view and were kept clean. Overall, we would recommend this place for a great summer family vaca!

1 Thank Cecilia M
Dear Cecilia M,

Thank you so much for the nice comments about your recent stay Moody Gardens! We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed everything during your stay. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy Moody Gardens’ Palm Beach, it’s an extra benefit to staying at Moody Gardens with no seaweed, white sand and the entrance fee is included in your hotel room rate. I was embarrassed to read of the condition of the vending machines please accept my most sincere apologies. I have contacted the company that services them so they can investigate and make sure all of their vending machines are working.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Moody Gardens in the future.

Garvin O’Neil
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 August 2014

First time to Galveston on a family vacation. The good, the hotel staff was very nice and accomodating, family friendly atmosphere. However, the bad ruined my experience whie there. Got there on a Thursday evening, my wife took the kids to the poll while I stayed in the room with the 15mos old. Took a shower and to my dismay the bathroom was covered in pubic hair. It looked as though house keeping used a drity towel to wipe down the bathroom. There was hair litreally all over the walls and floor in the bathroom. Called front desk who sent up house keeping, however we decided to change rooms at 10 pm. Got to the new room and was extremely disappointed. The room was much smaller and shpwed direpair in some areas( ceiling was pelinf, rust in the shower) and to top it off the bathroom had some kind of white lotion or cream on the bathroom wall. Also, there was candy stuck to the wall by the light switch. Called the front desK again, housekeeping offered to come up but we just got the kids settled. The next morning management called to ask if we were ok and if housekeeping had come by. We said the came by last night at midnight and today at 830 kids were sleeping both times and asked if they could just clean when they made their normal rounds. So after three days in the room nothing was cleans and remained on the wall. Also, during the moveI left a pair of expensive sunglasses and mug in the room. Neither were found and still have not heard back from security, who stated they would inform me either way. For $300 plus a night this was one of the worst Hotels I have stayed. Also, the pool on Sat morning had plastic straws and and cups floating around with a white film over the pool. WE inquired about the pool and one of the staff stated" I would just go to the beach today.Loos like the pool had a rough night" So we we went to Moody Gardens Water Park. The lazy river was shut down for a couple of hours because there was " s*** in the pool" as I was told by the lifeguard. Needless to say we left and went to the beach then the Strand. In summary, this Hotel was overpriced and dirty. I was given a free breakfast and had a $150 room credit. Will not stay here again, and would def not reccomend to anyone. Honestly, I am 45 years old and have never felt the need to review a Hotel before. That's how bad my experince was. Also, the manger did call and ask if the room had been cleaned yet. We told LAdonna it had not and never heard back from her. Way to go Moody Gardens!!!

2 Thank David G
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Dirty Gardens,

It is not often we see a posting such as yours and we were embarrassed at the series of service lapses that impacted your stay. You deserved better and, on behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies. In my investigation of the items you mentioned, I was able to identify you and I will be making contact with you this week to personally convey our regret of your experience here. As bad as being assigned the first room that wasn’t properly cleaned, it was worse to then being moved to another room in a similar condition. While we most often perform at a much higher level, you feedback reminds us that there are still associates that need more training and supervision before turning a guest room over for assignment. Thankfully, this is an isolated incident as our housekeeping department generally scores in the highest departmental rankings throughout all of our guest surveys. I met with our Front Office Manager and I believe there was a miscommunication on our part, but please know that her desire to rectify the issues was sincere. Your feedback regarding the pool and Palm Beach was also duly noted and I am planning to share your posting with all of our managers at this week’s department head meeting. Our Room’s Manager also noticed the condition of the pool that morning on his walkthrough and has already addressed it with our evening shift.

I can certainly understand your desire to not come back based on your experience and I appreciate the sincerity in which you expressed your concerns. We have had a very successful summer with over 90,000 guests staying here from Memorial Day through today. It is our overriding goal to make sure each guest experiences the best we can offer. In your case we certainly dropped the ball and I look forward to winning back you trust sometime in the future.

Garvin O’Neil
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We always stay at the San Luis or rent a beach house when vacationing in Galveston. However, my mom and I wanted to do a two day stay with my toddler before school begins, and Moody Gardens had great room rates and a $50 resort credit, so we booked. This hotel is definitely a better deal than the San Luis. The lobby is beautiful, and the elevators and hallways are very clean. The rooms have been refurbished recently- they are very nice. We felt like the refurbs at the San Luis were mostly new carpet and a coat of paint over mildew. But they did a great job at MG. The rooms smelled fresh. The bathrooms are larger than at the SL, and the rooms are a better use of space. There's a vanity outside the bathroom and a refrigerator. The only thing I missed was a balcony facing the ocean. I think MG is more of a family resort than the SL, and I felt like the clientele was nicer. You can get some rough looking people at the SL. We did not see any of that at Moody Gardens. Our room was also very quiet. They had plenty of organized activities for kids. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast everyday and thought the buffet was pretty good for $15. Kids under 6 eat free! Admission to Palm Beach is included in your room, which is a nice touch.

I do think the service in the restaurant needs improvement. We found the breakfast service to be very very slow. I'm not sure if it's because the wait staff is poor, or if they are simply understaffed. I do think the food at the San Luis by the pool is better, and the bar at Moody Gardens needs improvement. The drinks were not very good, but the waitstaff by the pool was very friendly. We enjoyed the family atmosphere by the pool- Fertitta has tried to turn the pool at the San Luis into a Vegas pool, and it just doesn't feel very kid friendly.

Overall, if the rates were comparable, I'd have a hard time going back to the San Luis. I was very impressed with the staff and the hotel itself. These are some of the nicest rooms in Galveston, and we booked the least expensive view.

1 Thank UTBlonde0427
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear What a Great Surprise,

Thank you for your very kind and informative feedback. I was so pleased that you found our resort inviting and a great place for family. We are so pleased of the $20 million dollar renovation that was competed in May and I was especially gratified that our associates were friendly and attentive. I noted your feedback regarding the Café service and please know that we normally do an excellent job there, however, we have experienced days this summer where staffing could have been better and service was affected.

Our overriding goal here is to deliver the finest in service and accommodations on Galveston Island and I believe we are the leaders here. Your feedback was very kind and, while I believe the San Luis Resort is a very fine property (and one of our top competitors), I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I took our five year old grandson for a little vacation for him and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Moody Gardens hotel and surrounding property. The housekeeping staff was friendly and did a very nice job each morning early. We had a good view of the pyramids and pool area. All in all a very good place to visit and stay. Lots of fun things for kids to do.

Room Tip: Stay at least third floor and above with pyramid/pool view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Janet R,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your little vacation! Moody Gardens loves to welcome children to the hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed view and your grandson enjoyed the Kids Crew activities and attractions! Thank you for the nice comments about our staff and property!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens in the near future!