“"Three Generation Vacation"”

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“"Three Generation Vacation"”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My oldest sister, my niece, my great niece, my great nephew, my daughter, my grandson and I took a three day; two night vacation to Galveston's Moody Garden.We stayed at the Moody Garden Hotel Spa & Convention Center. Every Hotel staff we came into contact with for any reason was very friendly, helpful, and delightful. Everything that we asked the staff for, was provided with a smile and all the staff was very professional. We love our room it was huge, clean, and the house keeping staff stayed on top of their duties by making sure we had everything that was needed to make our stay comfortable. We will plan another vacation to Galveston and will stay at the Moody Gardens Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Thai first
Kat0713
Reviewed 29 August 2014

After an abysmal 2 nights stay at a condo on the east side of the island, this was a little slice of heaven! We stayed in 411, what a great room! The room was clean, large and very quiet, and I could have parked my car on the balcony, it was so big. It overlooked the pool and we had a great view of the gAlveston Bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room, the balcony is huge!
1 Thank Kat0713
Fairfield, Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We went to Galveston for our granddaughter's University of Texas Medical Branch graduation, which was going to be in the Moody Gardens' Convention Center located adjacent to the hotel. Since the graduation was on Friday, we decided to go down Thursday and come back Saturday to enjoy some G-town scenery and food.

When we arrived at the hotel, several cars were blocking the unloading area, but I was finally able to drive close enough to unload. I am handicapped, so I asked the valet about valet parking. At $18/night I was not pleased, so he volunteered to park my car in the garage near the elevator!! An immediate PLUS.

After a quick check-in he showed us to our room, unloaded our luggage and left with my car keys so he could move the car to the garage. Later he returned with my keys and I asked for a good seafood restaurant recommendation. He suggested Cajun-Greek (a great choice) and said that he could take us in the hotel van when we were ready. As it turned out we went with other family members.

Our room was adjacent to an elevator, quiet and comfortable with 2-queen beds, refrigerator, large bathroom, and TV. There was also a coffeemaker. The valet suggested we buy our cold drinks elsewhere, as the vending machines were over $3.00.

The younger family members enjoyed the on-site pools, Palm Beach, and the adjacent Water Park. The convention center, although attached to the hotel, is quite a walk.

The next morning as we left for breakfast there was a morning Galveston newspaper at our door, which I enjoyed perusing later. I have no complaints at all and can recommend the Moody Gardens Hotel and Convention Center. We were given special rates in conjunction with the graduation.

Room Tip: The WiFi signal in our room was weak at times, but useable.

Here's a quick overview:
-Great for families and for those planning on visiting the Moody Gardens Pyraminds and Schlitterbahn
-Not so great for crazy women who want to drink a lot and have a good time
-Gym and Yogal class were wonderful!
-Sauna looked good, but wasn't preheated (takes 30 mins) so we didnt experience this
-Restaurant cost too much for mediocre food
-Beds were made, but for the most part the rooms weren't cleaned (coffee mugs, glasses and ice bucket not emptied or cleaned)

I would stay again IF I had a bunch of kids, but otherwise I'll find someplace a little more affordable ($250 a night was a bit much considering we didn't take advantage of the pool or activities for kids).

Full review:
One of my favorite ladies is getting married so we planned a girl's trip to Galveston. We booked this hotel based on the images on their website and their amenities (gym, yoga class, large pool swim-up bar, spa services, free parking and restaurants on site). We didn't realize that this was next door to Schlitterbahn until we arrived so we weren't prepared for the multitudes of excited children, strollers and anxious parents. The pool was FILLED with children (even near the bar). Despite our attempts at scaring them away (crazy lady antics, lots of wine/beer and colorful language), they remained so we left (boo). I love kids, but we wanted a more adult environment.

After dinner/drinks at The Spot (fish tacos were great) and a walk along the shoreline (right across the street), we happily climbed into the pillowy beds. The beds easily accomodated two ladies without any crowding. The air conditioning was nice and cold. We stayed another night without incident.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I've been going to Galveston for vacation for about 25 years. We've stayed everywhere from the Galvestonian to the Hilton, and even smaller places like La Quinta. Staying at Moody Gardens has been our favorite by far. The pool is the best, and like other high-end hotels in the area, has a swim up bar attached to it. The rooms are clean, cool, and new. They aren't ugly either. Overall, we've had more enjoyment and less problems with Moody Gardens. I doubt I'll ever stay anywhere else in Galveston. Also, their room-service breakfast is really good. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are clean. In the spirit of honesty I'm trying to think of any drawbacks to staying here, and the only thing I can think of is lack of access to the beach.

Room Tip: Bay side has a better view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon R
MoodyGardensHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Dear Simon R,

Thank you so much for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff and rooms were able to create an experience where you and your family had more enjoyment and less problems!

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens in the near future.

Sincerly,
Dawn G.
Guest Relations Manager
Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014

There is so much to do at this hotel with kids that you really never have to leave the property! Our party consisted of ages: 5, 8, 35, & 68. The kids activities planned throughout the day are great. During our stay my kids: made smores, bounced in the jumpy house, watched a movie by the pool, water balloons, door hanging signs, and lots of other stuff.

The pool was great. Although the hotel was booked solid during one of our nights, you did not get the feeling that the pool was over crowded. I love that they have wait staff by the pool and a swim up bar. The drinks were pricey but good.

The room itself was clean, updated, and wonderful. No complaints at all on the room.

There is so much entertainment within walking distance: Palm Island, Pyramids, Ropes Course, Shlitterbahn.

My only recommendation to management is about parking. We arrived on a Saturday, so parking was being monitored by security to ensure non-hotel guests did not park in the hotel parking lot. I loved that they had this! However, upon arrival, the security guard was ushering ALL vehicles to move along and proceed to parking lote way (way) in the back (not even on hotel grounds.) I thought to myself..this can't be right. I know they don't expect us to lug our luggage a 1/2 mile to the front. Needless to say, I drove back around to the security guard and asked where hotel guests were supposed to park. He was nice, and said right here and the scooted over so I could pull into the hotel parking lot. I would just recommend to security not to assume all drivers are not staying at the hotel.

We stayed here in '09 and now in 2014, and it was a great family vacation then as we enjoyed this time. While this hotel may be a little pricer than others...it is well worth it do to the onsite family activities, and its proximity to other great, nearby attractions!

Room Tip: Get a pyramid view room! Nothing like waking up to the sight of those beautiful buildings!
1 Thank TexasChina
Dear TexasChina,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us, the Kids Crew activities and the Moody Gardens attractions. Thank you for the feedback on the parking situation. Please accept our sincere apologies for the misdirection you received, I have passed this information to our Director of Security so he can ensure this does not occur again.

We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens soon.

Dawn G.
Guest Relations Manager
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We took a last minute weekend getaway before school. We visit Moody often, but have never been able to afford a room. This weekend, they happened to be the cheapest rates on the Island, so we were able to check it out(they had a summer special). Upon check-in, we were greeted wonderfully. Our check-in clerk told us our room had been upgraded at no extra charge! It was honestly the most fabulous room we have ever stayed in. Two living areas, comfy king bed, and a balcony with the most breathtaking view amazed us! Bathroom was just the right size, and the room decor was updated and beautiful. We ate at the buffet on site, and never had a reason to leave the property. It was the best weekend we have had in a long time, and we will definitely be back! Worth the price!!! The staff is completely wonderful. Even the grounds keepers will ask you how you're doing. I recommend a 3rd floor room with balcony, and remembering pizza delivery as a choice so you never have to leave!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Ameescar
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Ameescar ,

We are delighted to hear that you chose to stay at Moody Gardens for your last minute weekend getaway. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your view from the Junior Suite, the buffet in Café in the Park and that you found our staff to be wonderful. It’s rewarding to hear that your weekend at Moody Gardens is the best weekend you and your family have had in a long time.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens soon.

Garvin O'Neil