“Perfect Stay”

The Dawn Galveston Condominiums
Parker, Colorado
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

After reviewing just about everything in Galveston, I found The Dawn perfect for our needs. Travelling with 2 little ones(4&6) with the Grandparents coming down to visit from Houston area, we needed at least a 2 BR condo with a pool.

We decided on this one because of the price, location(off of 69th on the Seawall), very clean, gated, 2 crystal clear large pools, exercise facility, great price. The specific unit we chose off Vrbo.com(#310617) is spacious 1100sq.ft./ 2B2B-2Kings & sofa sleeper, with nice, stylish furnishings, 1st floor(good for the grandparents) looking out on the pool(we rarely saw anyone there during the week. No pets in that unit, but I did see another with a dog. The complex is completely redone(go to the Dawn website), bright and cheery, and it doesn't look worn like some facilities down here after Ike.

We felt safe here, and took walks on the seawall. It's not on the beach, but one can walk ~1/4 mile to the next sandy, stretch along the Seawall. Stewart's Beach is $8/car. Or simply park free along the road and beach where you want. There are porta-potties placed along the blvd., too. Or pop into a hotel or restaurant nearby. There's an outdoor shower by the pool; we would beach it, shower at the pool, and then hit the pool. Kids slept solid!

Next block from the Dawn is a Walmart- a true godsend for a family of 6! Also, we could drive to the Strand or the parks w/i 10-15 minutes(at least during the week).

We had considered staying directly on one of the East beach properties as our 2nd choice, i.e., Islander East, Galvestonian, and we liked that beach area a lot, but overall, especially for the price and fresh, roomy condo, nice pools, we were very pleased with our decision.

Pirate's beach and further out, Pointe West are nice, too, but in my opinion, way too far out from the main action to stay.

Of note: Schlitterbahn was closed during the week while we were there(just as well, plenty of pool and beach time), only the Aquarium at Moody Gardens was open(expensive, but the kids loved it); go to LA kings for candy/ice cream; kids loved The Rain Forest Cafe and jungle ride; we liked Benno's on the Seawall for cheap, cajun seafood, also, The Original Mexican Cafe; we rode the paddleboat(Moody Gardens)-OK, relaxing; the Strand is cute, the old, historic homes beautiful; the kids liked climbing on the Elissa(old sailing ship), etc.

Lots to do in Galveston. We enjoyed the Island immensely. People quite friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank martink2010

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lake Charles
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My husband and his side of the family all stayed at the Dawn Condominiums during the 4th of July weekend. Needless to say, our stay was absolutely wonderful. Our condo was very large and it looked just like the pictures on the Dawn's web site. I will upload pictures later this week. We had a beautiful view of the gulf, and on the night of the 4th, we walked right outside onto our porch and watched the fireworks. I'm so happy to have found this place for the weekend. My husband and I will definitely be back. My only complaint which was out of the control of property mgmt. is that our neighbor in the condo right above us was young, drunk, and didn't go to bed at night. We didn't get much sleep because we could hear him and his company walking around all night long, so it was really disturbing. Other than that, everything was great. When I do return, I'll be sure to ask for a condo on the 3rd floor. :) Last but not least, I don't think there is high-speed internet because we could never get a connection. But hey, I wasn't there to surf the net anyway. So, no big deal.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TRAVEL200GIRL
Fort Worth
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We were coming to Galveston for a wedding on New Year's Day and needed a place that our daughter could sleep separate from us. We were able to stay in Unit 228 which faced the water and had 2 beds, 2 baths and a full kitchen. I LOVED that the master bedroom had it's own sitting area with a couch and chair. It was about $10 cheaper a night than the hotel the rest of the wedding party was at and had so much more. I loved being able to keep food and milk for my daughter in the fridge and I could cook a couple times to save time and money on eating out. It also had a full washer and dryer which came in handy for a major spill my daughter had on a nice dress. The only real problem was that the master bedroom faced the sea wall and you could clearly hear the cars and trucks driving by until late at night.

Gulf Coast Concierge booked us in and Cameron was so helpful and made a great food recommendation.

As a reference point our family likes to stay at places like Residence Inn and Homewood suites for the space/kitchenettes. This was a great value for the space and amenities. Our 3 year old even said, "I could live at this condo!"

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank PinkPunch
Louisiana
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We usually stay at Moody Gardens but needed a kitchen, more space, and a little less expensive place. The Dawn certainly is not cheap but for 2 bedrooms and 2 baths it was cheaper than Moody Gardens. The condo and grounds were very clean. We felt safe because of the gated entrance. It was almost to new in that there was no trash can in the kitchen (which meant no large trash can in the condo), cooking supplies were limited as well as towels. The dishes and utensils had to be washed before using, they seemed dirty, and furniture was limited (only a sofa in the living room). All in all it is a nice place. Would I stay there again---definitely.