“Surprised with our very nice stay”

Candlewood Suites Galveston
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Arlington, TX
“Surprised with our very nice stay”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Hubby and I were at Candlewood Suites this past Friday night before moving to a friend's beach house on Saturday.

We had a queen room with a kitchenette-full sized fridge, 2 burners, microwave. Fair sized room, nice and cool and very clean. Nice bathroom. The small gym has nice equipment and they have free washers and dryers if you need them. They had a grill for their guests as well.

This hotel is not near the Seawall and is too far to walk to the Seawall for a day at the beach. That's probably why we got a reasonable rate when everything on or near the Seawall-even dumps had crazy prices!

I'd readily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeachbumAggie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2009

When I had to re-book my hotel at the last minute due to an administrative error, I was forced to downgrade my choices because of the change in rates. I normally stay at the hotel Galvez when I am in Galveston and as such enjoy the city a great deal. When I had to book at the Candlewood Suites I was dissapointed because of the location, however when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised with all the other amenities.
upon check-in I was greeted by friendly staff who promptly got me through the check-in process and to my room. now I have stayed in CWS hotels in the past and was not prepared for the renovations that this location had: hardwood floors, flat screen TV, stainless steel appliances and a great assortment of kitchen utensils and diningware. The room was also immaculate (cleaner than a lot of higher end hotels) which made relaxing after a long flight.
I do reccomend that if you stay here you should have a rental car, as I mentioned earlier, the location is not in any way near the beach so if you plan on partaking in the usual tourist fare you would be better off driving there. On the flip side, the hotel does find itself next to a large strip mall complete with a Target store which would be great for picking up any toiletries, beach stuff etc. I am sure their prices would be a LOT lower than the usual 'WINGS' stores nearer to the beach.
All in all I was pleasantly surprised, and as long as you don't expect to walk to the beach you will be too..

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
8 Thank fuzzypossum
League City
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I was there after my home got wiped out by Hurricane Ike, the GM was so helpful that he personally helped me carry my bags up to my room three floors up. He also helped me contact my insurance company and took care of all the billing and paper work. As a single mother who lost everything in the storm, its nice to know there are still people in the world that do more than just look out for themselves. Neal was great in helping my family out and runs a wonderful hotel to stay at. With the gas BBQ grill, DVD library free guest laundry (best part about it is that its in the gym so you can get a quick workout in while you wash your clothes.) Also i found out the Candlewood is the only hotel in Galveston that has a anti-mosquito system which really helped with the bugs after the storm. Its great for the BBQ time too. Great hotel would recommend it to everyone.

• Liked — The staff was great, the rooms were clean, and everything we needed was across the street at Target.
  • Disliked — The pool closed at 10:00 PM.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Hotgrl80