“No owner should be able to tell you no visitors and no going out!”
Review of Scottish Inn

Scottish Inn
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“No owner should be able to tell you no visitors and no going out!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My sister who just buried her husband on Monday and my nephew checked in around 6pm. Hotel knew I was coming with my daughter to stay with her while he went out and was ok with it. Owner came in to fix remote (9:20) told us my nephew never gave him his credit card (when he had) that too many people were here. I asked how much more for us to be with her and he said "I want to to get your things and leave here and never come back. You need to vacate the premises immediately and don't come back!" Stormed out the door and left it open. Wow no visitors and you can't go out once you check in is unheard of. We are outraged! I don't recommend this place to anyone unless you are there to sleep and leave. Like he said "people come here to stay not leave". I could swear they are in America and no one can tell you you have to stay once you check in!!! And yes it is now 11:05 at my home in Pearland.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Vaskim3
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Mr. O checked in about 6.15pm I asked for payment he gave me a Credit Card it was declined and I have a log of the card declined he said he would come and pay me little later as he was Navy I thanked him for his service and trusted him to have a key on the promise of him paying me. You came in at about 8.00pm ( I did not know you were coming)said you was visiting. Asked you to come to the office so as to make a note of your license as you were a visitor. Everything good so far
Later about 9.15pm a call from room 207 the remote was not working I went to reprogram the control and saw you and asked where Mr. O was and how long you were staying you replied you were staying and Mr. O will not be back till morning. Well since room was not paid for and Mr. O was not in the room I asked you to leave and went back to the office. As for the no visitors its safety for my guest my staff and the property in general.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

After reading many reviews, I settled on staying at the Scottish Inn the night before our RCCL cruise. We were going to be there on my daughter's fiance's birthday. To save money, we all shared a double room. I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money, but I still wanted something clean, comfortable and convenient. This didn't disappoint.

The owner, Sam, was great. He got us checked in very quickly and was very friendly. Our room was on the second floor, with the entryway overlooking the pool area. We didn't have time to swim, but several people were. It was very clean and looked to be in great shape.

That night we went to walk around downtown, browsing in and out of shops. Then we had dinner at The Original Mexican food restaurant (which was very good). Later, we looked around the old cemetery. (We find them very interesting, rich with history.) The beds were comfortable, and we all slept well.

The next morning we took advantage of the light breakfast foods offered. There were prepackaged pastries, fruit, cereal, juice, ... This was the only thing that I think could use a little more thought put into it; But it was fine, and it totally served its purpose.

Sam let us park our vehicle up front, where it would be visible by security cameras, and he graciously made arrangements for someone that had a pickup to take us to the pier. Think it costs about $15, but we gave him $20 for help with all our bags.

The ferry is within walking distance, and there were always police in the street close-by helping to direct traffic. It's a very safe area, we all agreed. The other guests we met were very nice, and it seemed to be a very family friendly place.

After a wonderful cruise, we took a cab back to the hotel. No problems with our vehicle, and Sam even offered some breakfast food for the road.

We will definitely stay again at the Scottish Inn. It's a good value for the money, and Sam was great!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Tammy L
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Thank You Tammy for staying with us, we are happy your stay was good.
We really try to please everybody. Hope to see you again. Sam
albion mi
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It is a little out of the way, No beach views etc. However, with the seaweed problem in Galveston this year, being away from the beach is a blessing! The owner was very helpful and wanted to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The pool was wonderful and the rooms very clean. All in all, very nice stay. Cant beat the price

Room Tip: The bolivar ferry lines up on the road so try to get the other side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank frauline1
Thank you for your review on my place. Came a long way to visit Galveston hope you had a safe trip back. Thank You Sam
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed in cheap hotels before, so when we walked in and saw that the windows were covered in what looked like children's sheets- we were fine with it. The beds were hard as rocks, but we knew we would be at the peer for the evening, so one rough night would be tolerable. We came in at 10:30, began getting ready to sleep- my daughter shrieked as the toilet overflowed & water ran into our carpeted bedroom area. They ran to get owner, which seemed annoyed with US!!?! My mom complained that we had been charged $200+ And the beds were horrible. Owner replies, "We will remedy this right now, you will leave & I will refund your money!" I nervously began calling other hotels. He BANGED on the door again and said, "You will leave now or I will not refund your money!" I turned to my mom and asked, "He's demanding that we LEAVE... I've never been kicked out of a hotel room in my life!" He tells me the refund will post in two days... we ended up driving 3 hours home! My husband was so upset! When he called owner, he is told we left after midnight (UNTRUE), and that he will NOT refund our money as promised! I've tried to call Sam- he HUNG UP ON ME, said I should expect a call from the police because he feels my husband threatened him over phone! I've never been treated so poorly, my husband was horrified that we drove home in the middle of the night- no other hotels were available.. even into Houston. Completely degrading experience! Please stay elsewhere- there are lots of comparitively priced hotels, cleaner and closer to restaurants & sea wall!

• Stayed April 2014
69 Thank Deanna4ever
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My family and I stayed here last month before our cruise. We loved the quiet location and fair price. The owner was the nicest guy. He made sure we had snacks for our room, as we arrived there late from Houston. The Beds were very comfortable and rooms were clean. In the morning the owner had transportation ready for us to get to the cruise ship, and the rates of his guy was 1/2 of anyone else or a taxi. He was a blessing and as I told my wife, you dont often look back at a vaction trip and say "one of the best times of the trip was staying at a hotel". You cant go wrong with this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank BLEEKS99
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and hope you had a wonderful cruise
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Date of Stay: March 27th - 30th 2014

I was fortunate enough to find this establishment on short notice and it was much better than a another well-known chain that I stayed in previously. From the very beginning to end, it was a memorable experience and an enjoyable stay.

Sam and his wife are the NICEST couple I have ever met to run a hotel and work very hard to make sure you are comfortable. Even my girlfriend (who has high standards) was impressed and pleased with the selection of accommodations and there is nothing like making sure the lady is happy. :)

While it is not on the main drag near the seawall, that is only a five minute drive and frankly I appreciate being away from the crowds at the end of a day touring the charming city of Galveston. The kitchenette is very convenient with a coffeemaker, (critical to girlfriend's sanity) fridge and microwave so you can store and cook snacks found at any local grocery.

BTW, Sam is very protective of his clients and will not tolerate troublemakers which is too rare a quality these days with innkeepers. The rooms have unique circular windows reminiscent of those on a ship, and the thickness of the walls ensures privacy.

The Galveston police also heavily patrol this area because of the fines associated with cutting in line at the ferry ($500 - so don't try it) so it was nice to know that 911 was less than a minute away.

I come to Galveston periodically and will insist on booking my stays here from now on.

Happy Trails,

JAG

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank JAG M
Thank You Joel for a very detailed review you put everything in prospective
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was our second visit to the Scottish Inn, and I must say it was better than the first (wasn't sure that was possible)! As I have said before.....if you are looking for the Hylton, this is not your place. However, if you are looking for a clean, safe, reasonable room with the BEST service available, than look no farther! The owners are absolutely wonderful! You will not find two nicer people!! The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. We were able to leave our car there while on our cruise and knew it would be completely safe! Already planning next years cruise, and will definitely be staying there again before we set sail!!

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank MichelleD1270
Thank You Michelle for your wonderful review we really appreciate that, we really do try hard to please everyone.