“Good but not good enough”
Review of Harbor House

Harbor House
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 22 March 2010

This hotel is very well located; immediately adjacent to numerous tourist attractions and the frequent cruise ships. There are a few restaurants for lunch and dinner. The price of the hotel includes a continental breakfast and it is the biggest disappointment. They serve Starbucks coffee (there is a Starbucks across the street) BUT the worst selection of baked goods and cereals I have ever seen. Skip it and walk across the street to Starbucks. Or better yet walk the few blocks to the excellent bistro in Tremont House.

The lobby is smaller than tiny BUT the staff works very hard at being pleasant and helpful. I have found it rare at this level hotel for them to remember your name each time you pass through. I expect that, and don't often get it, at 5 star properties.

Large rooms with very comfortable and beachy themed appointments. The beds are truly heavenly and you will get a good nights sleep.

Ask for rooms on north side of hotel that points toward Galveston bay .. The views are better.
The bathroom shows it's age and is as tiny as the room is large.
There is a coffee maker in the room but in our case it had not been cleaned and the only coffee packets were decaf so don't wait for the morning to check.

Our rate was $229 during a spring break weekend .. probably not a bad deal if you wish to be close to cruise line but otherwise it is not a good value.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raven40
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Harbor House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2010

Thanks for staying with us. Your business is appreciated.

Sorry you didn't like the continental breakfast at Harbor House. We are working on making this better. We plan to offer pastries, bagels, oatmeal, juices, and coffee.

I hope you will come back soon.

There are newer reviews for Harbor House

Reviewed 10 January 2010

Quite a basic hotel but very pleasant. Staff friendly. Room clean and well kept

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2009

This was my first time to stay at Harbor House. I have wnated to for years but I always end up going to their sister property, The Tremont House. For a more casual, laid-back weekend, Harbor House is the place to be. I love the room, comfy, comfy beds with good linens ( I admit I am a linen snob, so this means a lot!) the frig and microwave were such a nice extra. I was able to bring back my left-overs from surrounding restaurants and eat them later. And the area is impossible to beat - some of Galveston's best eateries are steps from the hotel. Great art galleries, shopping, coffee houses, and fun pubs. And the Ghost Tours of Galveston with Dash Beardsley is a great extra to do. Lots of history is delivered in his walking tour of the Strand. Great place to stay and so much to do. Ask for a room over looking the Elissa, The Tall Ship.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Rude staff, Late check-in policy (after 4:00), Check in was a joke. No help with luggage (Mother in wheel chair) Charge for parking ($10.00 per night)
Better value from other hotels on the island with more to offer. My family will never stay here again. Rooms could have been cleaner.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank janet68Texas
Reviewed 8 December 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Harbor House Hotel. This is a very nice hotel right in the middle of what’s happening. Service at check in was very nice although a bit slow. The room was very nice and clean. Hint ask for a room facing the Tall Ship Elisa, the other side is facing the parking lot. Jimmy G’s restaurant is a very nice restaurant and is 50 feet from the hotel just make a reservation before hand. The hotel has a nice breakfast buffet, mostly pastries and juice. The Historic Galveston Strand is with in walking distance. One thing that I was not happy with was that they charged me $10.00 a day to park. I was surprised because I didn’t know about this charge before hand.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank firebreak2
Reviewed 1 November 2009

We have reservations for 10/30/09 – 11/01/09. This is our anniversary weekend and we had hoped for a wonderful weekend. We have stayed at Harbor House before and had been please. But, this time there is a concert stage setup right under our window. The band played Friday night until after 2am at a rather loud level. Needless to say we didn’t get any sleep until after the band closed down. Well, now it’s Saturday night and the band has really got the noise level on extra high loud tonight. We are totally exhausted and we just need some sleep. My husband and I both have spoken to the lady at the front desk and all she did was say she couldn’t do anything about the noise. She did give me a number to contact the manager and said we should go ahead and call him tonight. But, when I called, I was told he was unavailable. But, the issue would be mentioned to him tomorrow. But, we are tired and sleepy tonight. We feel it is unfair for us to be paying for a room that we can’t sleep in due to the noise level. So much for a happy anniversary! Absolutely horrible experience!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank V59
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed here only because of the positve reviews on TA. What a disappointment. 1) Traveled with 2 kids and 4 suitcases and the elevator was out of order for days before I arrived and fixed on the day we departed. Not warned on the website or by the hotel staff. 2) Only guest ice machine in the hotel was out of order. 3) WIFI was down because modem had been broken for days. 4) Requested additional pillows and it took 90 minutes. 5) When I was finally going to sleep, realized the door lock was broken and had to move rooms at midnight. 6) Was awakened at 5am by the alarm clock in the room next door. Paper thin walls. 7) Good thing I was up because my 6AM wake up callnever occurred. 8) Requested to speak with the Manager on Duty and was told they are "hard to reach because they office at the Tremont hotel down the street". 9) Left a complaint voice mail after check out and never received a returned call. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family