“Great for Value and updated since last in G-town”

Hilton Galveston Island Resort
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I am stayed here for work but have had bad luck in the past with other hotels when I have visited Galveston. It seems as though they have remodeled the rooms and they are updated, clean, Phillip Thomas Roth toiletries, flat screen TV. The pool (though too cold to go in) has a swim up bar with stools, but is right near the front of the hotel. There is valet parking but onsite is free. It is next to Landry's and Rainforest Cafe, so there is some decent food within walking distance. Ask for a tower room ocean view. You think that you will be stuck in the back but it is nice as it overlooks the ocean. The non tower rooms all seem to have balconies, but your views are parking lots on both sides.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room ocean view. You think that you will be stuck in the back but it is nice as it...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank merwest
kristin s, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2016

I am sorry this response is so late, however we wanted to thank you for your business and wanted to say we hope to see you back in the near future to experience a new product and staff upgrade.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed here with my parents right before we went on our cruise. Our room was on the 5th floor. It has a great view of the beach. I love the beach theme in the room. The location is great. It's right next to Landry's seafood and Rainforest Cafe. Plus, it's right across from the beach. The hotel went through renovations after Hurricane Ike. It's very modern and beautiful. The staff was super nice and welcoming. I had free access to wi-fi. However, for some reason there is no wi-fi in my room. There's an ethernet cable in the room. I have an MacBook Air so I couldn't connect to the internet. Make sure you ask for a wi-fi enabled room if you really need to connect to the web.

For some reason, I couldn't find the hair dryer in the bathroom. Apparently, it is stashed in the closet just fyi. The hotel has valet parking for $10. It's unlimited which I find very convenient. The breakfast buffet is very very good. There are a lot of healthy options.

My only complaint about this hotel is the A/C unit in my room. It was the LOUDEST unit I've ever heard. I couldn't sleep very well, but if I turned it off it was super cold in the room. If you are very sensitive to noise like I am, make sure to check the A/C unit before unpacking your luggage. I'm sure they'll be able to find you another room. I should have done that before settling in.

As for cruisers like myself, this hotel offers free parking while you're away in a very safe parking lot. They also offer a shuttle to the port. It is very convenient. Make sure you tell the valet guys when you arrive that you'll be going on a cruise. They have a list, and they will give you a time that the shuttle departs the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lala512
kristin s, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2016

I am glad to hear that you had a great time and the small items that were troubling you I have notified the correct manager to look into. We have since remodeled and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I have stayed at this property several times and had a great time each year. The pool area is beautiful, and the bartenders are great. They tend to book out for proms, collegiate Greek events, etc. It seems each of the times I have been there, there has been a massive group there, so it can be boisterous, but rooms are well insulated, so in room noise was never an issue.

A block away, there is a grocery store (Kroger) and you can request a mini fridge in the room (not guaranteed until day of arrival), so we were able to ease up on snack and meal expenses that way. Next door is a great Landry's seafood restaurant which we always enjoy, too.

Here are my notes about service, pricing and other items that you might wish to be aware of:
While service there is absolutely top notch, you will pay for it. Parking is not included, and is $20 a day, regardless of when you get there; I thought that was high. The on-site restaurant serves a lovely breakfast, but I think the buffet price was too high for what you get, frankly.

Watch the hot tub - two for two times I was there, it did not look clean unfortunately.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are going to be loud at night, especially if they have a large event going on - it...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

I am sorry this response is so late, however we wanted to thank you for your business and wanted to let guests in the past know we have renovated the guest rooms and the hotel has undergone management changes. The items you have spoke of we are confident we have addressed theses issues and you would be pleased with the results. Thank you again and we look forward to you visiting in the near future.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

We are Hilton Honor Gold members so we have free internet and free breakfast. I wish they had a refrigerator in the room though. Our king bed room had a great view of the Gulf and Seawall. I liked being able to walk right across the street to beach.

There is a grocery store in walking distance if you forgot anything for your cruise. Overall, the hotel was great for the one night before our embarkation on the Mariner of the Seas.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hellokittyluver

I am sorry this response is so late, however we wanted to thank you for your business and wanted to let guests in the past know we have renovated the guest rooms and the hotel has undergone management changes. Also, we have added refrigerators to all rooms and suites. Thank you again and we look forward to you visiting in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

The good: nice place, smells good, small bar area, great pool w/bar in the pool. big restaraunt and breakfast buffet, but costs too much; close to everything.

The bad: You have to pay $10 a night extra for internet in your room. The business center has computers, printers and the internet, but you pay $3.00 for the first minute and $.50 each minute after and more, if you print. Horrible!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lpaigeh

We invite you to return and we have done many changes including free wi fi, business center complimentary and breakfast buffet is bigger to appeal to a lot more guests requests. Thank you for your business and we look forward to you visiting in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

stayed prior to cruise. Rooms clean and pleasant. Corridor was cold. Took long time to get hot water in room.Breakfast took a while but staff very nice and breakfast was hot and reasoably priced. Good location. Pleasant stay. Furniture was dated and chairs were pulling apart.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PsychSanAntonio

I am sorry this response is so late, however we wanted to thank you for your business and wanted to let guests in the past know we have renovated the guest rooms and the hotel has undergone management changes. Also, the lobby and front area have been remodeled and the furniture you are speaking of has been replaced. Thank you again and we look forward to you visiting in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

The staff was extremely pleasant. The room was very nice but of course there was no free WIFI or free breakfast because it was a resort. Conveniently located right across from the beach and within walking distance to restaurants and such. Nice. Comfortable. Reasonable price for the property.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

I am sorry this response is so late, however we wanted to thank you for your business and wanted to let guests in the past know we have renovated the guest rooms and the hotel has undergone management changes. Also, we do have free wifi in all the guest rooms. Thank you again and we look forward to you visiting in the near future.