“Great location, great staff, skip the restaurant”

Hilton Galveston Island Resort
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“Great location, great staff, skip the restaurant”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We just completed a three night stay at this hotel. The greats: the staff is wonderful, accommodating, and extremely attentive. Whether is was front desk, bellman, or other service personnel, they were all fantastic to deal with. The goods: rooms are clean, showers strong, TV is a flat screen with limited channels, and the pool, although over chlorinated, is a nice retreat with swim up bar, poolside food service, and good staff. The location is also good. It's a sister property and next door to San Luis upscale hotel with Landry's and Rainforest cafe sandwiched in between.

And now the bad's: just one.. The restaurant located inside is under staffed, menu items listed are routinely not available, and the decor is something straight out of 1985. Skip it, there are plenty of other great options in town!

• Stayed August 2013
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
I appreciate your review posted to Trip Advisor. Yor input helps make us a better operation. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Have a wonderful day!
Mike Pistone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Polish first
Round Rock, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The room was dirty, furnishings were dated, beds were small and hard. The hallways were dirty. Staff was ok but definitely not attentive. We paid extra for a balcony that looked over a parking lot with a very poor view of the ocean. The best part was the location but not worth the $$$. Not what I expected from a Hilton site.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Karen P
Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.
North Vernon, Indiana
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My wife and I recently spent a few days here after a business trip to Dallas. What a great stay we had! One of the first things I noticed was how friendly and accommodating everyone was. And I do mean everyone! Everyone from the front desk, the parking attendants, housekeepers, and even maintenance workers, they all made it a point to smile and say hi. It seemed they all were genuinely concerned with how your stay was going. I even met a couple of maintenance guys on the stairs as they were taking a mattress from one floor to another. They stopped and asked about our stay and then apologized as if they were in my way! The room was great and was clean. We did opt for a balcony and as others have mentioned, the air conditioner exhaust blows right on to it. The balcony did afford a nice view of the ocean, however the way the building was situated, you got absolutely none of the breeze from it. You could clearly see the flags and trees blowing, but felt none of the wind on the balcony. Also, the elevators were the slowest moving elevators I think I've ever been on! The only negatives I can come up with were the elevators, the air conditioner exhaust and the lack of a breeze on the balcony. Those were far overshadowed by the good things and certainly didn't put a damper on our stay. We spent most of our time out running around on the island doing other things. Plenty of good restaurants were within walking distance. Would definitely come here again!

Room Tip: I'd forgo the balcony room and upgrade to one of the nicer rooms with a direct view of the ocean...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KEverage
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
I appreciate so much your kind review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback means a lot to the staff when passed on to them. This goes withut saying for travelers who are coming to Galveston as well looking for a nice place to stay.

Mike Pistone
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My family and I had a great stay at the Hilton! The service was outstanding the food was great, and the restaurant staff was very friendly. They made sure we had all the things we needed to make our meals enjoyable. We ordered room service one morning and it was delivered with perfect timing and yummy! The swimming pool area was a lot of fun, with kid activities, and a swim up bar! The only negative thing is that the elavators were extremely slow and busy. No service elevator.... but we had a wonderful stay here!

• Stayed July 2013
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for your review with Trip Advisor. I will make sure to share your comments with our staff. Again I appreciate you taking the time to give feed back of your stay with us.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Spent one night here during Mardi-Gras this past February. As you would expect, this hotel maintains the standard that you would and should expect at any and every Hilton. Spacious room with great bathroom amenities, small balcony (with no beach view), great service across the board. We had the breakfast buffet which was also outstanding. *An employee went out of his way in using a personal contact to get our party an immediate cab. We were attending a Mardi-Gras party at a private residence located along the parade route, which meant blocked off streets. All cab companies were scrambling to keep up with demand, so this was no small order. Dependable Hilton quality at Hilton prices.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three days. Was not impressed and will not stay there again. Booked online and was suppose to have a balcony when i got there they didnt have us down for that kind of room. She upgraded us and changed us more. Also they charged my card the full amount when we arrived. I have always been charged when we check out. Room was small. The cleaning crew was rude. They never changed our sheets. Only provided new towels and emptied the trash every day. Our room had a balcony, but if you were sitting there when the AC was on you were hot. All the heat from the AC blew onto the chairs. The location was nice. Several places witthin walking distance to go eat. Drinks were over expensive

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Since the first time we stepped out of our car, every bit of our experience was much beyond outstanding. At the front desk, Tristen was just so helpful and caring to work with. She was very professional and an overall excellent. The entire front desk staff was great. The best service that I have ever received in 32 years of traveling around the world at any Hilton was from the staff at the Palm Court Restaurant. I have never seen such a more courteous, loving, warm, personal staff. Kassie, Taryn, Kelly, and Jonisha are a great assets to this hotel and never before had I felt more at home. Whether you go to the hotel restaurant for the first or last time of your visit, these gals will treat you like royalty. The time, love, care and effort these girls put in to making you feel like a first class guest every day. My family and I are looking forward to our next trip there.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ronald G
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2013