“Extremely happy with our stay!--you won't regret yours either.”

Hilton Galveston Island Resort
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
“Extremely happy with our stay!--you won't regret yours either.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

As Hilton Honors members we stay at MANY Hilton Hotels and Resorts. This Resort would will def be added to my top 5 favs so far. As stated in many reviews, yes the ROOMS are a tad dated, but this should not be a deciding factor. They are after all, located in a hurricane zone, they have more important things to repair than update the hotel every year. They are also obviously working on an update. I would say only the rooms were a little dated. The SERVICE made up for that minor issue! All the Valet guys were super great, Ross May and Jose Thomas really made our trip enjoyable by navigating us around Galveston and offering to go above and beyond what I would ever expect of them. Ross offered to go by my son lotion for his pealing shoulders!!! (Not that I let him, but he offered!!) Seriously?!?! Amazing! We were always greeted by the staff by name and the staff was very accommodating to our young children!
Along with the great service, the food and drinks were great! Even the coffee!! What resort/hotel ever has great coffee?!
Needless to say, stay here!! You won't be sorry :)

• Stayed May 2014
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review on Trip Advisor. Your opinion is very valuable to our staff and future guests to the area. I hope to see you back very soon.

Mike Pistone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Polish first
Crockett, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The best part of this hotel is the people working in it. They are very helpful and congenial. It is a good hotel with a great staff. I have stayed in this hotel on two separate occasions and the staff has always been super friendly and the service has been great.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Houston, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Poor fitness facilities, A/C in the room can get very noisy, and the quality of food is nothing to rave about. This was a good location for an offsite business meeting but the overall experience was mediocre at best.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I appreciate your comments. I will address your review with staff. Thank you for staying and hope that your stays are a better experiences in the future. Happy Holidys.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here about 5 years ago before a cruise and also about 10 days ago again before a cruise. We got a excellent rate, has a room overlooking pool and ocean. Free shutle to cruise ship. Very nice bar and they had live music at night ( saturday night) , also had a really nice looking pool with a swim up bar, need to spend a extra day here before next cruise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Nice Hotel convenient to Galveston attractions and across from the beach with free parking. Staff was very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. King bed was very comfortable. Plenty of nice towels. Hotel looked like it needs some freshening up and deep cleaning which it appears they were doing. Pool has a swim up bar which is nice and pool area good place to get some R&R. They have hot tub and Sauna. There is a charge for Internet in the room which in the 21st century you would expect to be included like a TV, running water, etc. Breakfast at $15 is a little expensive.

Room Tip: Select Balcony room on pool / gulf side
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am currently staying at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort, and I am not impressed. I generally stay in Houston, but due to the OTC, I was unable to secure rooms at a reasonable rate. I thought it would be a fun treat to stay down here on the water, and it is, but it has me missing the common amenities of your standard HGI, Homewood, Hampton, or Doubletree.

For instance, a friend and I decided to pop into the "executive lounge" last night before walking down to a restaurant last night. It was pretty quaint, but nice and clean. For snacks there was a typical array of cheese cubes, some sweet pineapple shrimp on a toothpick, and a bucket of beer. I grabbed a plate threw one of the last shrimp things on, and a few pieces of cheese and cracked open a bottle of beer. What I did not expect was the bill for $5.41. I guess that beer was not free. Oh well, no big deal. I would have been far more comfortable paying for a beer in one of the nice looking bars by the pool, instead of paying for one while munching on Walmart cheese in a converted guest room. This amenity is for "Diamond Members Only," what a deal!

This trend seemed to continue into breakfast. I hopped out of bed, cleaned up, threw on my gym shorts, grabbed my coupon that says "Breakfast is on us" and a couple bucks for tip, and headed down to breakfast. The breakfast was similar to a Hampton. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, and an empty bowl of yogurt. The wait staff was kind, and brought me a coffee. The eggs were crispy from sitting on the buffet, but the rest was pretty tasty. The waitress asked if I wanted to order anything from the kitchen, I was in a bit of a hurry so I stuck with the buffet. Then the bill came... I guess the breakfast coupon should have read, "the first $8 of your breakfast is on us." The buffet was adequate for free, but after having to run up to my room to get my wallet so I could pay the remaining seven bucks and change, I felt like it was a rip off.

I hope I don't come off as some kind of whiny negative person, but I spend over half of my year staying at Hilton properties, so these things matter to me. This hotel does have some positives however. For starters, the location is great. It is surrounded by nice restaurants, and is right across the street from the beach. The beach is disgusting, but it is a beach. The pool area looks nice, and the swim up bar was full of patrons during the day. The check in staff was very helpful, and they brought a mini refrigerator up to my room within minutes after check in. The rooms seem a tad dated, but I believe they are about to undergo a remodel.

All in all I am happy with my choice to stay here, and I will be returning later in the week, but I have learned a couple things to watch out for. The staff is very courteous, and everything is clean.

3 Thank Joel S
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Staff and I will review your comments and work to improve our operation. i appreciate your candid remarks and have a wonderful day.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This entire hotel was filled with enthusiastic, friendly, helpful employees. Room service as well hotel manager were smiling and extremely courteous. Our waitress named Kelley went so far out of her way to make us feel welcome that she gave us a fishing guides name and number when I told her we wanted to fish.
The food was fantastic and reasonably priced. For the money there is no better place to stay in Galveston!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple