“Seaweed turned the beach to disaster”

Seascape Condominium Rentals
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Shame on SeaScape management for letting the beach near hotel become a wasteland.
We understand seaweed problem in Galveston, but it is managed in other places.
Stink near the hotel is unbearable and poses health safety hazard.
It is not being cleaned at all and all the seaweed is rotting .
Not a good place to stay this summer.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Planotr

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The grounds are very well manicured. Nice large plants like birds of paradise, hibiscus and oleander throughout. The BBQ area is nice and the swings just outside the pool area are a nice touch. The pool itself is very clean with bathrooms and a great adult hot tub. Unit 2116 is fantastic!! This is an exceptionally bad year for seaweed, but not once in 7 days was the beached cleaned. From the small amount of sand not covered in seaweed it would about a 30 foot walk through 6 inch high seaweed to get to the ocean. The beach was completely un-usable and the rotting smell went throughout the property. Without a beach, there was no where for morning walks as the road outside the condo does not have sidewalks. It is also further from town than expected. I wished the owners had done something about the seaweed. If you are staying here the summer of 2014 plan on going to a public beach closer to town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this condo one or two times a year. Love it here! It's a beautiful condo that sleeps 7 and can fit an air bed to sleep 2 more. Its right by the elevator on the 2nd floor. There is a pool and jacuzzi, on-site grills and swings. The tide at different times does wash up copius amounts of seaweed from the Sargassum Sea. This has happened to us at Fort Walton Beach and Pensacola too. The beaches do clean the seaweed up but is difficult to keep it up without sinking and ruining the beaches with oil and tire tracks from the equipment.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Ease of booking online and the payment process was great when booking with AB Sea Rentals in Galveston. This was our first time to book with AB Sea Rentals with several places with condos to choose from we ended up booking at Seascape Condos. Our condo was #2108 and we had 2 adults and 4 kids. It was small and perfect for us...bedroom was plenty room for us and the bunks and sofa sleeper for the boys was perfect. Everything worked and the view was great from the balcony and it was right over the pool area. Close enough to see the kids on the beach flying kites. It was nice to not have to drive anywhere, it was all there for you. We were able to cook in the room and enjoy the beach. Short drive into town on Seawall for entertainment was perfect. We did go on Spring break so it was really crowded but that was to be expected.

We are planning a trip again this July 2014 for a summer family vacation and we are staying here again in room #1118. I hope the experience is just was memorable. I hope to make this a yearly stop either on Sprint break or a Summer vacation. The beach is not as nice as Destin, FL but it sure is closer and really the kids don't care how white the sand is or how blue the water is....they are about being on the beach!

I can't speak for all of the condo's but the one we stayed it was perfect for us and we had a really great experience so far and hope it continues for our upcoming trip! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When made reservation was told beach was cleaned twice a week it was not! At check in was told by front desk that it was cleaned on Monday or Tuesday night and then again on Thursday or Friday night which was not true! After all was paid the following morning went to front desk and the same man said I didn't tell you that we have no idea when it will be cleaned! It's one thing to be honest but to be lied to then to blatantly denigh and walk off and hide in office is bad business and offending! Will never come back which is sad cause we have come for over ten years! Worst dirtiest beach in Galveston!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Amybeth81
Reviewed 24 May 2014

So, we just took our 2nd trip to Seascape in Galveston. And for the record we had an AMAZING stay on our first trip October 2013. The first condo was snug, but beautiful! The owner had thought of every last detail, and we had PERFECT weather on an almost empty beach. We planned a 2nd stay and wanted to stay in one of the oceanfront Grand Cayman 2 bedrooms. Unfortunately, our 2nd trip paled in comparison.

2 weeks before we were scheduled to arrive, I received a call from the office. They had messed up the dates of our reservations. And of course there was no more ocean front condos available. Major points lost there. So, they recommended the condo 2215. Larger, but not oceanfront. We took it, reluctantly. I decided my boys wouldn't remember the room we stayed, so much as the memories made! Here are the pros and cons ::

Pros
- condos are located far enough down the beach that there is no major crowds, noise lights, etc.
- the condos sit beachfront as opposed to having a highway in between the property and the beach.
- there's a pool, 3 hot tubs, and beach rentals

Cons
- property managers chose not to clean the beach the whole time we were there which meant waist high seaweed piles for the duration of our stay. (Seaweed is just a part of nature, and I get that. But the majority, if not ALL other beaches, were not nearly as bad. We checked.) We ended up leaving the complex to go to a cleaner beach where my kiddo could play. :(
- our condo was poorly renovated. When I say poorly, I mean it looked like they hired a bunch of 3rd graders to reno and decorate. Paint job was sloppy, weird closets, TINY bathrooms/shower, dim lighting in bathrooms, gouged/dinged walls, endtables turned into barstools. I just had a hard time believing this was the same complex, considering the quality of the first condo we stayed in.
- when the complex is at capacity, the pool area was not big enough to accomodate everyone. With the beach being a wreck, I'm sure this compounded the problem.
- we arrived back at the condo late one evening and there was no parking available in the reserved area. They will tell you they give out a limited number of these parking passes, and will tow if they find anyone parking illegally. Nobody got towed. And we parked across the parking lot and carried our 3 children back to the elevators.
- there is one elevator per building. If the bldg is rather full, you will most likely opt for the stairs rather than spending valuable time waiting on the elevator.
- staff seemed indifferent/irritated by my questions about the beach and pool area. Make sure you understand they are not a hotel!

Overall, I think the biggest thing I would like to communicate is that the experience at this complex could be varying based on time of year, volume of visitors, and the individual condo. Not sure we will take the gamble next time. If staying in Galveston again, we may opt for another property.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank PIKTRIPPERS
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My hubby and I visited Seascape Resort and Condos for our 5th wedding anniversary vacation. We travel quite a bit and stay at resorts 80% of the time. To begin with the positive, our condo kitchen was upgraded as they advertise for so many units, the view from our condo was amazing, the bed slept decent, the staff was nice, and we absolutely loved Galveston. THAT'S ALL the positive I have to offer.

Now to the real deal, we pulled up on the grounds of Seascape Resort and IMMEDIATELY did not like the condos, but thought we would not judge a book by it's cover. We entered our condo and wanted to leave and almost did, but we flew into TX, this one week vacation was non-refundable, and we paid one year in advance through RCI Travels so the manager would not even offer us another condo. The bed literally took up 90% of the SUPER small bedroom. It also had bunk beds in the hallway, but I honestly don't know how an entire family would be comfortable in this place. We had to crawl over each other to get in and out of bed. I could not even slide to the end of the bed to get out, because the foot of the bed was to the wall. Now we understood why our condo had a queen size bed instead of a king size, otherwise we would not be able to get in the room. LOL!!!! The décor was okay, but the throw pillows and matching pillows on the table chairs were nasty. I sat on towels the entire week. The mats in the bathroom were the same. I realize the unit is individually owned, so maybe there was a better unit somewhere in the building, but we talked to other visitors who wanted to run also, but they were in the same situation. Well, we thought maybe, just maybe we could sit on the balcony and enjoy the beautiful view when we were there, but when we went on the balcony, the chairs were so rusted we could not sit in them. We told the manager we were not pleased, so he sent housekeeping to bring us new chairs for the balcony, but that's it. One more thing.....there was NO WI-FI (as advertised) in the condos. Yes, I was on vacation but I am a self-employed and needed to get on email regularly. THANK GOD FOR CELL PHONES, but when I had to use my laptop, I had to go sit in the office (that closed at 5:00 p.m.) or sit around it. One night I sat on the office stairs after closing and I was freezing, but I had to get the work done. So needleless to say, we will NEVER stay here again, but we LOVED Galveston, TX and would consider visiting there again. If you travel a lot like we do,pay a little more and stay somewhere else. I PROMISE, you will be glad you did.

Room Tip: My tip is DO NOT STAY HERE, but if you just cannot afford better, do not book through a timeshare co...