Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The room was OK except there was mold growing on the walls up by the ceiling in multiple places. Our main problem was with the poor service with the shuttle to the ship. The girl at the desk said it was "first come, first served" and put our name on a list and said since there were four families ahead of us, we would be on the 12:00 shuttle. We showed up for the shuttle a little before noon and was told there was no room for us on that shuttle and that we would have to wait. The driver then came in and told us there WAS room on the shuttle and out we went to get on, however, we soon discovered he wanted to seat my daughter on a stool beside his drivers seat. I said no for safety's sake and we got back out. We waited for another 45 minutes and when the shuttle came again, they couldn't figure out how to get my family and another family to the port on time. One of the workers in the hotel offered to take the other family in his own personal SUV to the port. We were told that they usually have another shuttle but that the driver of the other shuttle "decided not to pick up" there on that day. Very unorganized and unreliable. It was the same issue when we got back from our cruise and waited over 45 minutes for the shuttle to come and finally a shuttle driver from another hotel felt sorry for us and took us to our car.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mamatota

Reviewed 2 July 2011

My boyfriend and I flew all the way from Key West to visit family in the area over a pretty busy weekend in Galveston. We came to the hotel and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was with a king bed on the first floor. Vaulted ceiling was nice but the room wouldn't stay cool. The housekeeping staff were excellent and I was happy to escape the hotel briefly everyday and to return to a nice clean room. Unfortunately, we had flight issues getting in and our luggage was expected to be delivered later on so we informed the front desk staff Yvonne to notify us when it arrived. The next day we got in we received a confirmation that our luggage would be in late so when we showed up at our hotel at 12:30a after some fun on the town, I was shocked that our luggage was not in our room, nor was there a message saying it arrived on our phone. Concerned, I went to the front desk to no one up front. I called out "hello" 6+ times to no answer. Shortly after a man in a chair leaned back and looked like he just woke up. He said "what do you want" in a nasty voice. I immediately became irritated and told him we were expecting luggage and wanted to know if it arrived. (I knew it had since I could see it next to his chair). He told me "Come and get it yourself". He made me go behind the "employees only" door to get my luggage. When I went to get it he sat back in his chair and rested his chin on his hand and fell asleep. I was pissed! Who treats ANYONE like that? Messed up, since I have many years of experience working at hotels, chains and independent gorgeous hotels. I've had better experience at creepy motels! Anyways, I took the luggage to our room and called about 20 minutes later for a wake-up call. Shockingly, the disrespectful man I had the unfortunate pleasure of encountering told me "by the way, your luggage is here". No sdflksdjfl;kj sherlock! I just got it. (Didn't say that but that's what I was thinking!). The next day I asked for the manager up front. Yvonne said he wasn't in but would pass the message along. Talk about a liar! I asked for help later on in the business center when the computer printer had no cords and I needed to print some documents. The manager tried helping me, which he was no use. While in the business center I asked him if he had been informed about my experience the following night and he said he hadn't. I told him what happened and all he said was "well....he works like 79+ hours a week and I guess I should just get him more 5-hour energy drinks". He left the room and didn't return. I'm not a mean person or picky, I just expect people to take jobs seriously...considering there are a lot more qualified individuals who would do better out there! The following night I went to the front desk because I needed to print boarding passes (obviously couldn't in the business center). The young lady at the front earlier that day (super sweet gal) said I could use their front computer. The same jerk who worked the previous night said I would have to go to the La Quinta and see if they would let me....Lame! I'm not going to another hotel. I woke up early the next morning to check out - 6am and the jerk was on his phone with loud music playing talking to his mom on the phone. He told me to wait and then said I could print my boarding passes. I have no words to express my terrible experience at the hotel. The general manager should really consider the staff at this hotel with the exception of the housekeepers and the young gal. I will NEVER return to this hotel, EVER! I hope corporate sees this because I deserve an apology and a refund!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank linze1116
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Nice place. Priced same as other hotels in this class (which is expensive this time of year!!). Great view of water from balcony.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank JKK123
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Typical Holiday Inn room, but we were told we would have an ocean view room and it mostly viewed the La Quinta hotel next door. It was nice having a balcony, but couldn't enjoy it because of the loud A/C units next door at the La Quinta. Sounded like a tornado siren the entire time. Booked this hotel partially because of the pool and hot tubs advertised, however, the pool is small and the hot tubs were not hot water and the jets didn't work. Bathroom seemed nicer than most Holiday Inns, but was not please with strands of the maids black hair on the "clean" towels. Pop machines never had bottled water and the free WiFi was slow. We booked early to get the special advance online rate and when we arrived the rates were significantly less, of course our rates were non refundable, so we just had to deal with that. Won't stay here again. There are probably better hotels for the price in the same area.

Room Tip: Ask for the front facing room, not a side room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TripPlanningQueen
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Booked an oceanview room with King size bed and sleeper sofa. Arrived at 2 am. Front desk clerk did not like having his nap interrupted. Room had 2 queen beds. We didn't want to bother with argueing about the beds at 2 am so let it go. Next day tried to open the door to the patio. It was so rusted, we eventually got it open, but then struggled for another 10 min to get it closed. Wind howled through the gap between the door and frame. Water pressure in shower is non-existent. The timer on the spa tubs did not work. A transformer on the line also blew on the Saturday night and the hotel was without electricity (or air-conditioning), until the early morning. Although I understand that this is not the hotel's fault, there was no back-up generator.

This hotel's location is nice if you want to be away from the noisy main drag, but you have to drive to get to a swimming beach.

This Holiday Inn has the new logo which supposedly indicates that it's been upgraded and renovated. I think that there are more problems though than just changing out the decor and slapping on some paint would've fixed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank amintexas
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We arrived about 2 pm and quickly checked in though check in was later. Our luggage had not arrived with us on the plane & would be coming later. After a short rest and freshening up, Josie called for a taxi. Mind you this was the same day as the Mardi Gras parade! The taxi quickly manuevered us to the Fisherman's Wharf for dinner and returned when we called.

The room had a balcony which you could see the ocean. The suites occupy the front facing the ocean. This is NOT near the port and you will NOT see the ships come in if that is important to you. 10 pm there was a rucous in the room next door. A call to Adrian at the desk quickly put a stop to this and it was then quiet. 11 pm our luggage was delivered!

Next morning the breakfast was really very good . They offer eggs boiled or scrambled, bisquits & gravy plus everything most others have at a continental breakfast. I like Holiday Inn coffee & am never disappointed in it. The breakfast was nice for the value of the room.

At 8 am they take requests to ride the shuttle to the port for $15. We were on the first run at 11. This was easy to access and quick to the port. We actually left a little before 11. They also have free underground parking for those leaving their cars during the cruise.

On return we walked to the area where the hotel shuttles come and immediately the shuttle was there. This was no charge to ride back. We took our luggage and left it at the hotel then caught the shuttle down to where we wanted to eat along the seawall.

Remember the taxi precruise? Called & got a ride back to the hotel when we were ready. Took our bags into the dining area, made some packing changes, our shuttle to the airport was there & off we went.

Thanks to Josie and Adrian we had a very enjoyable time and would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suann_60
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We stayed two nights at this new-ish Holiday Inn Express located at the west end of the Seawall Avenue strip. The decor is good and the public areas are clean. The breakfast is the current version of Holiday Inn Express' continental breakfast. At this particular HIE the morning rush seemed to overwhelm the staff resulting in a poor presentation. It was obviously to all that more staff was needed to cover the breakfast period (6:00-9:30).

Another troubling item was that our room was never tidied up during our stay. In all my years of traveling I have never had a miss on a room make-up. Once in a while the staff is late, but this was a total miss. Our room was simply ignored and I think a number of rooms on our floor suffered the same treatment. I luckily caught the person responsibile for our room as she was wheeling her cart down the hallway obviously leaving for the day (it was 6:00 pm). I told her our room was missed and she did not act concerned -- she just asked if I wanted anything. Well I wanted a clean room but instead all I did was exchange our dirty towels for clean and that was the last I saw of her.

One last point about the staff at this hotel -- the evening desk clerk was very nice and very helpful. The daytime staff is not so attentive.

The good points of this hotel: convenient to Moody Gardens and the Air Museum. Nice guest work out room, pool, business area and laundry facility. Comfortable beds and free wifi.
The weak areas: Breakfast staff and lax supervision of the room cleaner(s).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple